Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:06:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need Steering Damper on a '05 Monster 620?  (Read 18864 times)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« on: July 07, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »

My concern is encountering a speed wobble aka "tank slapper" as I never have but havent been riding long enough to feel confident that I never will. I also knew a guy who went down and died due to a tank slapper on the highway. Is having optimal suspension enough? If I dont exceed 65Mph do I need a steering damper? I dont typically do high speed runs or any track days but I am partial to quick acceleration. Should I invest in a steering damper? Will it actually prevent a Tank Slapper? If I have my suspension looked at and validated is that enough? ( or will messing with a stable suspension setup make things worse?) Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »

Wow, lots of questions.

You don't *need* a steering damper.  Lots of folks ride without them and without any incidents. That said, it sounds like you *should* get one, if only for piece of mind.

Properly set up suspension will obviate some of the need for a damper.  A properly set-up bike is less likely to have a slapper, though it still can.  But yes, there is a risk that playing around with suspension (even by a professional) can either go wrong or can introduce other variables that might make a tank slapper more likely.  Take it to a professional and you'll be fine.    Even if your suspension is properly set, there are certain situations where your bike can easily go into a tank slapper, even under 65 mph.  Plenty of folks have had tank slappers at slower speeds than that.

A damper might not completely prevent any and all tank slappers, but if your bike starts into a tank slapper, in most circumstances, a damper will smooth it out.  

A speed wobble is not a tank slapper.  A tank slapper is a very specific thing.  It can start as a front end bobble (which happen all the time), but quickly increases to where your bars are oscillating  back and forth and literally slapping the tank.  

I'm a big proponent of steering dampers.  I think of them as insurance.  You can ride for decades and never have a tank slapper, but that one time where you wish you had a damper can be a nasty one.  In your situation, given that you know someone who died from a slapper, I'd invest in one just for the confidence it would provide.   However, they should never be used to mask an underlying suspenion problem.  If you're looking to cure head shake, a damper is not the answer.  

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Cider

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »

Until recently, I thought dampers were overpriced bling.  I say recently, because a couple weeks ago I got a tankslapper at 80mph and landed on my face.  Now I'm a believer  Grin.
darksouls

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

i had problems on my rc51 out of the corners whacking the throttle. I had a scotts  for that and never had a problem after that. Tank slappers are pretty nerve wracking
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:51:01 PM »

As Spidey says, spend the money on TUNING YOUR SUSPENSION for YOU . . . I did that on my 620 and NO more tank slappers and usually I ride more or less at the same speeds you do . ..  rarely seeing over 70mph . . .

Or maybe, one the suspension tune with a set of Showas and fine tune those

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:46:11 PM »

A steering damper in addition to good suspension is a big plus.  A steering damper as a cure for bad suspension is a big negative.  Get your suspension right first.  You should not NEED a damper.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »

A steering damper in addition to good suspension is a big plus.  A steering damper as a cure for bad suspension is a big negative.  Get your suspension right first.  You should not NEED a damper.

Ding Ding  waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »

Very much appreciate the input Gents! But the OP was 4 years ago so I'm sorted. waytogo

2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »

Very much appreciate the input Gents! But the OP was 4 years ago so I'm sorted. waytogo

Hehehe.  I find this very funny.

Reminds me of a rejection letter I got for a job solicitation letter I sent when I was twenties.  The rejection letter was sent two years after they received my inquiry.  I remember thinking, "Why even bother replying?"  All that did was call attention to the fact that they didn't reply.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

All I want to know is if you bought into the damper voodoo? laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »

No damper. Guess my suspension is proper !

2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
SwiftTone

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »

i had problems on my rc51 out of the corners whacking the throttle. I had a scotts  for that and never had a problem after that. Tank slappers are pretty nerve wracking

The problem was that you were walking the throttle. I have a RC51 and never experienced a tank slapper even at a intermediate track pace. I did have a little wobble but nothing of concern also my suspension was tuned.
darksouls

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »

The problem was that you were walking the throttle. I have a RC51 and never experienced a tank slapper even at a intermediate track pace. I did have a little wobble but nothing of concern also my suspension was tuned.

Nah did the same thing on the mille and that had more torque than the rc. The mille did have much better suspension, however a damper is cheaper than proper fork work/replacing.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »

<snip> however a damper is cheaper than proper fork work/replacing.
yet fixes not a thing.

Where's the economy?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SwiftTone

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »

yet fixes not a thing.

Where's the economy?

Agreed. Steering damper should not be used as a band-aid for bad suspension. It should be used as a safeguard/insurance if a properly setup suspension is overcome by the surface.

Get the suspension properly setup for rider weight and riding style, work on correct body position, keep weight off the bars and ride smooth, and the bike will almost always do what you tell it to. The bike wants to stay up and be stable. Its the rider that makes it unstable if not ridden correctly.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: