Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 12:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet Clutch Plate Questions  (Read 3103 times)
Nat Cat

« on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »

I was told by a ducati dealership that I need to replace the clutch plates.

I see the aftermarket barnett ones, and the OEM ones. Also I have never replaced a clutch, but I can follow step by step directions.

Just want to confirm that it is doable for a garage mechanic to change a wet clutch and that it doesn't require any special tools!

And would a symptom of cluitch plates wearing out be a farther away friction point? It makes sense if it is in my head.

Which plates do you recommend? I am currently a student on a shoestring budget. Thanks for the help!
Nat Cat

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »

Oh its a Ducati Monster 07 695
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »

Before you go buying stuff....

What problems are you having with the clutch?

How many miles on your bike?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Nat Cat

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »

Before you go buying stuff....

What problems are you having with the clutch?

How many miles on your bike?

The friction point on the clutch is at the far end of the lever release (far away from the bar), was told by the previous owner that the local ducati dealer mechanic told her the clutch plates were going out. Newport Beach Ducati, which has a good reputation around here.

Around 20k miles
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »

If it's not slipping, the plates are fine.

The engagement point can be altered with the adjustment screw on the lever.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »

Speeddong speaks the truth.

The M695 has a very narrow enagement range that is low-effort and at the far end of the travel.

You can back off the lever adjuster plunger a little to bring the friction zone closer to the bar, but be careful.  The OE adjuster screw is usually locked in place with epoxy.  Better way to customize the lever travel is with an adjustable lever like the CRG.  If your lever is not original and/or not correctly adjusted for free-play that could negatively contribute to the lever feel.

I replaced my M695 clutch plates at ~20k miles, but my clutch was actually slipping in certain situations.  The old plates looked and measured OK.  Not too hard to swap or inspect/shuffle plates, and it's made much easier with the three special APTC screws.  If you open it up, you'll want to use the opportunity to check the torque on the big nut.  The M695 (and S2R800) Ducati service manuals have decent procedures with photos.  Your clutch is wet and also of the APTC type.

BK
bikepilot

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:37 AM »

^  What they said, plus make sure the clutch hydro system is bleed properly.

Wet clutches wear very slowly.  Unless you slip the clutch like mad or rode it a bunch with bad springs and a slipping clutch it shouldn't be even half-worn by now.  My TLS has tall gearing and makes 2x the hp of a 695 and after 60k miles of city commuting on it the clutch is still in spec:)

If you do need to replace the plates, its very easy.  Once you have the cover off its the same as doing plates on a dry-clutch ducati. 

I haven't looked at Barnett plates for the ducati, but in general their plates for most Japanese sport bikes (all wet clutches) are not great and considered inferior to the stock parts. 

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Nat Cat

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »

Will this work for a cheaper adjustible lever?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-Monster-620-695-696-796-S2R-Brake-Clutch-Levers-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45fb32303bQQitemZ300567113787QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_7287wt_1002
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »

Possibly.  Looks like a CRG knockoff.  Real CRG has an adjuster screw for the master cylinder plunger so you can achieve proper free-play.  Whatever lever you choose (if you go that route) should ideally have an adjuster screw for correct initial setup.  Hard to go wrong with real CRG.

When I bought my CRG about 4yrs ago I needed to fab a small tab to actuate the electric microswitch on the underside.  I think I remember reading that piece is now standard?

BK
Nat Cat

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »

I think I am going to shave down the little knob that pushes into the mast cylinder. Fun Fun time
VisceralReaction

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »

But would that prevent the clutch from fully disengaging and allow it to slip
during a shift? Just a thought.

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »

I think I am going to shave down the little knob that pushes into the mast cylinder. Fun Fun time

Better to scrape out the epoxy over the set screw and turn the screw out a bit - reversible if you don't like it.  But if you're good at shaping metal and take baby steps maybe shaving is an option.

I think you have to go pretty far before worrying about incomplete disengagement.  Usually folks have the other problem...not enough free-play and constant drag/slip/heat/plate wear...often after installing aftermarket levers.

BK
IdZer0

BE

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »

Although the adjustable levers are a good mod if you don't like the (absolute) engagement point of the clutch. Relatively it will still stay at 95% of total travel.

Also if you decide to buy them, make sure they have the special tab at the bottom that actuates the microswitch; otherwise you'll lose the ability to start the bike when it's in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. (or is it the other way around I can never remember)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:29:58 AM by IdZer0 » Logged

2007 Monster 695, DP ECU, Low mount Alu Termignonis
replaced by 2011 848 EVO
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »

I was not sure that the barnett plates would work in an APTC clutch.

After comparing the plates from an older wet clutch... I am still not convinced.

All the listings of barnett plates indicated they worked with "standard" clutches, but also listed APTC-equipped bikes by the same part number.  YMMV, and defer to the actual techs...

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

APTC plates and conventional wet clutch Duc plates are different sizes, not interchangeable.

I fitted a set of Barnett APTC plates in a customer's S2R800, they worked fine other than dragging so bad that it was nearly impossible to find neutral at a stop.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: