Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 94587 times)
Jaman

« Reply #420 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World - the Dalai Lama

waytogo
GK

« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »

Goliath Must Fall: Winning the Battle Against Your Giants - Louie Giglio

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Jaman

« Reply #422 on: March 19, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »

Terminal List by Jack Carr   waytogo

A Navy SEAL has nothing left to live for and everything to kill for after he discovers that the American government is behind the deaths of his team in this ripped-from-the-headlines political thriller.

On his last combat deployment, Lieutenant Commander James Reece’s entire team was killed in a catastrophic ambush that also claimed the lives of the aircrew sent in to rescue them. But when those dearest to him are murdered on the day of his homecoming, Reece discovers that this was not an act of war by a foreign enemy but a conspiracy that runs to the highest levels of government.

Now, with no family and free from the military’s command structure, Reece applies the lessons that he’s learned in over a decade of constant warfare toward avenging the deaths of his family and teammates. With breathless pacing and relentless suspense, Reece ruthlessly targets his enemies in the upper echelons of power without regard for the laws of combat or the rule of law.

An intoxicating thriller that cautions against the seduction of absolute power and those who would do anything to achieve it, The Terminal List is perfect for fans of Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Stephen Hunter, and Nelson DeMille.
Jaman

« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »

Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume I...  this is gonna take me awhile...  just started but so good so far!

&

7 Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli 
(in my ongoing, but so far a failing, quest to better understand our Universe... why is it that the more I try to learn, the less I ultimately understand and/or the more questions I have? ... I guess I shoulda maybe put the bong down with a little more frequency in my formative years... Wink)
Jaman

« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »

Just finished Strange New World, Aldous Huxley... 

been meaning to read for like ever, glad a did, but a bit of a depressing read
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

Will start, tonight with Kitchen Confidential

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
roggie

« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »

Sapiens  by Yuval Noah Harari

Only 100 pages in but very interesting

Jaman

« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »

Just finished Matterhorn, by Karl Marlantes  waytogo

and started I am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes, really really good so far!
GK

« Reply #428 on: November 16, 2018, 02:58:32 PM »

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Stella

« Reply #429 on: January 02, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »

Most of last year was all text books, all the time.

Finally back to reading books that don't put me to sleep after a few sentences (such as taxation on modified endowment contracts - ugh).

For WWII enthusiasts, The Matt Urban Story is a current fascinating read.  Urban is/was also a hero to many young kids and communities after his war years.  

He retired in my hometown and my dad had his book which he gave to me when I was there recently during Christmas.  My dad also met him a few times at the local American Legion and sang his praises.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/matt-urban-the-greatest-soldier-in-american-history-but-youve-never-heard-of-him-right.html

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6309780.Matt_Urban
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:34:27 PM by Stella » Logged

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Jaman

« Reply #430 on: March 25, 2020, 10:54:41 AM »

Just finished John Adams, by David McCullough = good stuff!  took me awhile to get through, but really interesting read on the early days of our country, and also interesting how 'history doesn't necessarily repeat, but it sure does rhyme!'

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0743223136/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i5

Jaman

« Reply #431 on: April 03, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »

Acid for the Children: A Memoir, by Flea

Great book/read by Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist extraordinaire!  can't put down...  waytogo waytogo
Jaman

« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2020, 07:59:29 AM »

Let's Go (so we can Get Back) - Jeff Tweedy
Really good, Mr. Tweedy's sense of humor comes thru in spades, have had many chuckles so far
Jaman

« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »

I have not ready any 'fantasy' in ages, and just rec'd a book as a gift, given with rave reviews

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

I could not put it down.  and luckily, it is the 1st in a series called the King Killer Chronicle, and now I am on to the 2nd book

The Wise Man's Fear

Great story, amazing writing  waytogo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:34:16 AM by Jaman » Logged
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #434 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

I have not ready any 'fantasy' in ages, and just rec'd a book as a gift, given with rave reviews

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

I could not put it down.  and luckily, it is the 1st in a series called the King Killer Chronicle, and now I am on to the 2nd book

The Wise Man's Fear

Great story, amazing writing  waytogo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

I bought that a year ago based on reviews, comments, and recommendations from others similar to you comments.  But decided I'm not starting until I have a real sense that the third and final book will come out.  I can't invest in a series that does not promise completion.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: