Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 04:17:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb  (Read 11870 times)
DucatiTorrey
My wife's super hero is my

Industrial Designer

« on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »

Since I kind of started the thread last year I thought I'd do it again, and being local, im hoping to get a lot more amazing pictures from my first hand account throughout the event!

The race is less than a month away, and the team is already out testing their new Pikes Peak Edition Multistradas!!!!!

http://ducati.kontain.com/spider-grips-ducati/entries/58377/alexander-smith-riding-his-special-edition-pikes-peak-ducati/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:10:19 PM by DucatiTorrey » Logged

- real place
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

Pics are good...

BTW - if it takes place entirely in Colorado, why is  it called the "International" Hill Climb?  Is that anything like a "National" golf course, such as Augusta, Trump, etc.?
pennyrobber

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »

Pics are good...

BTW - if it takes place entirely in Colorado, why is  it called the "International" Hill Climb?  Is that anything like a "National" golf course, such as Augusta, Trump, etc.?

Well, the road used to stretch into Canada but the bridge was damaged a few years ago. Damn hurricanes.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »

Pics are good...

I'm guessing it's because people come from all over the world to compete in the race.

I've competed in several "International" events that took place entirely in a gymnasium/arena.
 waytogo

bacon

I only see jesus having a sauna with a teletubbie.
I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
derby

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »

BTW - if it takes place entirely in Colorado, why is  it called the "International" Hill Climb?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_International_Hill_Climb

The race is on the FIA International Events Calendar...

FIA International Sporting Calendar requirements:

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/calendar/Pages/Introduction.aspx

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
OT
Still Sweeping.....

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:34 AM »

Thanks Derb...what'll they think of next  waytogo

I've competed in several "International" events that took place entirely in a gymnasium/arena.
 waytogo

bacon

Why am I getting an image of some sort of volume-of-food-consumed-in-the-shortest-time competition... ?  Grin
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:41:56 AM by OT » Logged
DucatiTorrey

Industrial Designer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »

Hey guys, can we keep to topic please?

- real place
OT
Still Sweeping.....

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »

Gotta do something while waiting for all those promised pics to show up  Grin

So, what do you think, how many of those records are in jeopardy?

Will all the snow this past winter (flew over the Rockies last week and they still look like the North Pole) be a problem for the course, come race time?

Heard that the Multi is "the bike" for this race.....how does it match up against the competition (what is the competition, BMW, KTM?)?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:52:35 PM by OT » Logged
DucatiTorrey

Industrial Designer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:45 AM »

Well i live right below the mountain, see it everyday, and there hasn't been a lot of snow here in town or on the peak this year. Really, the snow that is on it now is form the past three weeks. There is still a ton of snow in the Mountains, the resorts are all still open, but we arent in the middle of the state, we are on the front range. There is what looks to be a good amount now, but we will see, last year on the turns, you could see 10' to 15' banks of snow that had drifted over the road, but plowed into walls in the spring.

as far as records, maybe, there is still dirt, but we took friends to the top a few times last summer, and they were paving away. Should be all paved next summer, then, we will see records break, as we see more street bikes racing to the top. Almost guarantee it.

as far as the 1200 class, there are some KTMs in there, but last year, it was a joke really, not a lot of competition for them

this year though, looks like the Ducati team isn't the only person on the new multi

http://director.usacracing.com/ppihc/files/pdfs/competitor_list.pdf

i was considering racing on the 696 as it falls well into the 750 twin class, not to win, but just to do it, but i dont have enough track time, and they require a "race resume". Hoping to get that going this year and to race next.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:09:21 AM by DucatiTorrey » Logged

- real place
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »

i was considering racing on the 696 as it falls well into the 750 twin class, not to win, but just to do it, but i dont have enough track time, and they require a "race resume". Hoping to get that going this year and to race next.

I think you can get a special liscence IF you have your AMA racing liscence....

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »

Do you have a liscence for your minkey?   Grin

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
OT
Still Sweeping.....

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »

That's not my minkey....

If the road's paved all the way up, won't bikes/cars be sliding over the edge if it's raining during the races?  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:38:28 AM by OT » Logged
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »

rain tires ftw.  i want to do this race bad.  If I did it I'd do it on a 450 or bigger motard.  an AMA race licence isn't hard to get if you've been club racing for any time as an expert bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
DucatiTorrey

Industrial Designer

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »

You wont slide off the edge, the corners have rail guards, so you most likely slide, then fly. now the straits, no guards there, thousand foot drops.. its awesome

- real place
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »

You wont slide off the edge, the corners have rail guards, so you most likely slide, then fly. now the straits, no guards there, thousand foot drops.. its awesome

Seriously, guard rails in the turns? I remember the vids from last year's thread but I don't remember guard rails in all the turns? But then again, I've slept since then and have had a few drinks. drink laughingdp Hell, you live there I'd guess you'd know. waytogo And if nothing has changed since last year the road is not paved all the way up. I do remember the dirt sections. Dolph

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: