Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 07, 2024, 03:31:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BlackKat's Il Mostro Cafe 2.0 (85% done updates)  (Read 39218 times)
BlackKat
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »

xxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:45:55 PM by BlackKat » Logged
2-Skinny
Head Mechanic, Technical and Research Consultant

Measure Twice, Cut Thrice...at least...

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

Bike looks great!

Those pipes on the last "inspiration" pic are tits.  If you can do something custom like that that would be great. 

Something like these less the decals and shiny hardware would be cool...

I don't own a Ducati...but I wrench on one.
Dellikose

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:23 AM »

Hey BlackKat, it's Brian, I met you at the dealership...talked about monsters for a while.

Talk about an upgrade! I can't wait to see what the finished bike looks like. Both times that I came in it was up on the rack. Good to hear that you had her out, take what you can get around here with the weather.

I still need to drop by and show you my little beast! Keep us updated on the build...

1999 Ducati M900
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:19:15 AM »

i see you have completely removed your ignition cover... tank swelling issue i assume?

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
BlackKat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:20 AM »

xxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:46:20 PM by BlackKat » Logged
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »

Hey Brian! Bring that BEAST by! Wanna see that exhaust!

Corey,
No tank swelling issues there, I just have the cover at the body shop getting sprayed to match the top of the triple. There is such thing as too much carbon Smiley

lucky you...
my tank latch has become nearly inoperable at this point...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »

ill reserve full judgement until its done but right now, its looking really busy.

my thoughts;
the yellow headlight fights with everything, the red stitching doesn't flow with anything either and the sweep at the end of the channels fights the movement of the bike. too much CF for a "retro" build. and if your painting the cowl, why bother having it made out of aluminum?
BlackKat
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

xxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:46:55 PM by BlackKat » Logged
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

i guess I just dont really see the old style lines. the major lines of the the trellis frame, SSS, disk brakes, USD forks and monoshock is (gloriously) modern. the details of the CF clip ons, CF front fender, CF sides, billet all around and an open clutch are all modern too.  a yellow headlight and an oldschool bikini fairing just sort of confuses the whole thing and makes it look like its trying too hard to be retro, much in the same way that honda cafes can.

CF, black, red, yellow, silver, grey, 50s  street fairing, 70s seat, modern frame/swingarm, racing ergos... all great elements but it has too much stuff going on in to many directions, it lacks the focus and simplicity that define a cafe bike.

BlackKat
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »

xxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:47:24 PM by BlackKat » Logged
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »

A few things:

1:  why ask for opinions if you're going to shoot holes in them so quickly?

2:  It is MY opinion that you ARE mixing and matching whatever strikes your fancy without regard to the bikes' overall aesthetic.

3:  if there are NO RULES as you state above, then why point out what defines a CR?!?

This isn't a CR (IMO), but more either your CR influenced S2R, or a resto-mod S2R.

Take my opinion FWIW...  Or shoot holes in it.  Don't care. 

Two biggest things to remember:

1) F*ck what others think, it's not their bike...

2) Opinions are like arse-holes...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

really? no paramaters? harley a bagger is a cafe bike if I throw some checkers on it? a busa is fair game if I put a pedestrian slicer on the fender?

there are layers and layers to what makes a cafe bike and exceptions to all the rules but at its heart a cafe bike is a minimalist design with a clear focus on speed. its the one thing that links bikes from the 50s Nortons to the modern day work of breitling and radical ducati.
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »

I agree with the two above me. I'm not bashing and there certainly are some sweet bits on the bike but as of now, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe it's too early to judge or maybe it's just the pictures but there needs to be some sort of common denominator

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Raux
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »

I think we all know that posting a bike on this place is begging for feedback, both positive and negative.

People tend to forget that forums don't reflect facial expressions, tone or general meaning without clear words so sometimes things come across as demeaning or just place mean.

but i can say, with a few exceptions, people aren't trying to be mean, they just are passionate about our brand.

personally there are a few things I like about this bike and a few I question, but Stuart is right, it's his bike and his passion
BlackKat
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »

xxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:47:56 PM by BlackKat » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: