Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 05:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M796 exhaust servo problem/error  (Read 2191 times)
wankski

« on: January 26, 2015, 02:17:05 PM »

Hi Guys,

Posted on here a while ago the belt guide for the M696. that bike is now dead thanks to a hit and run.

Anyhow now have a M796 ABS, on a long weekend ride, the EXVL error light went off - well first the dash appeared a little 'bare' and power was down (tach didn't show numbers - but did show the bar graph - weird), when i put it off and on again the dash was back to normal but the CEL came on and sure enough the  EXVL error showed and the servo was stuck in the CLOSED position which meant the bike struggled above 6k rpm... made overtaking... interesting.

I don't think it's the servo. the cable and butterfly flap all work well and move freely. connected to an independent power source the servo spins fine. it's actually really well made - metal gears and heavy duty motor. it's basically gears and a pot to measure the 'throw' and that's about it. I opened it up to inspect. I'll put up pics when photobucket works for me again.

Next, I took the servo unit off the connecting loom and measured across the power supply terminals. when i put the bike on... - nothing. no voltage at the connector. I fear it's ecu related. disconnecting the battery didn't help.

Anyway, I found a very cheap 'new' ducati performance ecu for my bike so i bought that. DUC.EE also on the way so we'll see what works.

I thought I'd share my results as there is little info out there for this type of failure.

Not happy - the bike is a whole 6k kms old!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:22:14 PM by wankski » Logged
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:08 PM »

If it's still under warranty, have the motor replaced, if it goes kaputt again, then http://www.vizi-tec.com/duc-ee/

While under warranty, always go the dealer way . . . We will fix it under warranty and might tell what else to do . . . and "unofficially" recommend something

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
wankski

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »

thanks mate.

i bought it second hand, it's a 2011 model. just did bugger all mileage in that time. yep, got the DUC.EE on order, but i feel it's more fundamental than that. I just reconnected the bike and started it and it failed to start first time and the dash reset after throwing a SW### code.

again, key off and on, all fine (but persistent CEL - EXVL fault)

tending towards strong suspicion of ecu.

I'm also in Australia - I may try the dealer if i can't solve it as we have the aussie consumer law (similar to lemon laws) that is in addition to manufacturer warranties.

Otherwise I'm generally terrified of taking the bike into them.

Anyway, worst case scenario I spent about 150USD to get a sweet ducati performance ECU. A basic oil service at the dealer would cost close to twice that  Roll Eyes
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »

thanks mate.

i bought it second hand, it's a 2011 model. just did bugger all mileage in that time. yep, got the DUC.EE on order, but i feel it's more fundamental than that. I just reconnected the bike and started it and it failed to start first time and the dash reset after throwing a SW### code.

again, key off and on, all fine (but persistent CEL - EXVL fault)

tending towards strong suspicion of ecu.

I'm also in Australia - I may try the dealer if i can't solve it as we have the aussie consumer law (similar to lemon laws) that is in addition to manufacturer warranties.

Otherwise I'm generally terrified of taking the bike into them.

Anyway, worst case scenario I spent about 150USD to get a sweet ducati performance ECU. A basic oil service at the dealer would cost close to twice that  Roll Eyes
OK then .. .. .. you're set then . . . Check that issue with not starting . .  at times is the battery at times might be something else, not necessarily a biggie but . ..

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: