Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 06:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread seal for gasoline?  (Read 2056 times)
Charlief

« on: April 03, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »

I need to use a thread sealing compound of some sort on a metal to metal fitting.  It will be exposed to gasoline.

I looked through the Permatex web site and nothing was mentioned about compatibility with gas.  They just listed oil/diesel/hydro.

My local Napa store was of no help.

I'm looking for tape or liquid... What ever works best. This is for a carb so pressure will be minimum. 

Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »

Wouldn't generic red gasket sealent do the job? It's gas proof and I think it'd handle threads

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Charlief

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »

I'm thinking that's  what the PO used. There was a red rubber compound on the threads.... And in my fuel lines.... And in my jets. I've installed an in line filter to help solve the "clogging of the jets" issue.  I'd like to avoid this problem in the future by using something more specific for the need.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »

This is the only thing I have used:

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant Liquid
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

It makes a semi-hard seal that is removable later.  100% gasoline resistant and made specifically for contact with fuels and motor lubricants.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Charlief

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »

This is the only thing I have used:

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant Liquid
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

It makes a semi-hard seal that is removable later.  100% gasoline resistant and made specifically for contact with fuels and motor lubricants.

Ah.... I was looking under thread sealing. Not thinking
 about gasket seal. So looks like both of you guys are right.  I wanted to avoid the "rubber" type sealants.

Thanks!  I'll look around for some locally. Or order on line.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:31:24 PM by Charlief » Logged

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

Advance has it near me

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »

I hear the yellow teflon tape made for nat gas works for gasoline too.

Supposedly available at Home Depot...

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

I have never seen that confirmed.  Gasoline is a liquid solvent and NG is neither.  I would want to see that in writing.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

I have never seen that confirmed.  Gasoline is a liquid solvent and NG is neither.  I would want to see that in writing.
Nat gas is a liquid at one temp and a gas at another.

I'd call it both rather than neither. Wink

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlief

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »

That's it in writing right there!! cheeky

A friend of mine emailed me earlier and said the same about the yellow tape. I also read it on a Donzi forum.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »

Is it also a solvent? 

My understanding is that NG is always a gas at the pressures that are present when used for home plumbing, which is what the yellow tape is for -- am I wrong? 

But again, I wouldn't use anything that doesn't have a specific statement from the maker or cert body saying it can be used for gasoline or fuel oil.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying Id err on the side of caution.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »

Is it also a solvent? 

My understanding is that NG is always a gas at the pressures that are present when used for home plumbing, which is what the yellow tape is for -- am I wrong? 

But again, I wouldn't use anything that doesn't have a specific statement from the maker or cert body saying it can be used for gasoline or fuel oil.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying Id err on the side of caution.
You're not wrong.

I'm just reporting what I've heard/read.

I use hylomar on every flange type joint I come across whether it's o-ring or gasket sealed recommended or not. It works for me.

perspective

Charlief

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »

I'm going to try the permatex aviation stuff. There's an Advance Auto a town away

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »

Use a toothpick to apply a tiny thread of it. That's all you need for fine threads.  It will set up in about ten min so screw things in before that.  It gets very tacky after that.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

I don't have the link handy but Permatex rtv silicone with the copper is gas proof.  The problem folks have is using too much which squeezes into the tank... Use a tiny bead and igts fine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: