Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 620 Speedo Woes  (Read 1111 times)
Droopz

« on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »

I've just spent the last hour going through the search function reading what I can about the dreaded 620 cluster issues, and I was just after some clarrification...

On my way to work just now I looked down and saw that my speedo was hovering around 10-20kph, a bit erratic, and eventually dropped down to 0. I figured it was just a dirty sensor or loose wire and will check both this afternoon.

Bt what has me a bit worried was that the gauges no longer sweep at key on. They both move slightly, as is jaming then drop back down. Bike starts fine and the techo springs to life, but the speedo then limps up and down and drops again.

My question is what does the sweep 'check' specifically? Why would the sweep fail on both, when the tacho obviously works?
Droopz

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »

OK further testing has led me to think its a motor/gear issue within the gauge.

Riding home is the speedo seemed to be working OK but the startup sweep is 'struggling'.

Once i got home, turning the key off and on a bunch of times seems to get the needles to sweep further and further each time.

I can hear it whirring each time it tries to sweep, but i cant remember if it did that before today or not.
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »

when  needles sweep on startup, they go ALL the way to the right to the highest marking and then rest at 0. when you turn the key off, they drop just slightly below 0.

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »

You're gauges are on the way out, when mine started that their days were marked. took mine about a month of usual abuse before the tach completely reset itself to 5 o'clock. Opened up the cluster and reset the needle and that lated for a week before it reset itself again.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Droopz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »

I feared as much. Thanks for the reply.

What is the "fix"? Tear into them and look for bad solders? Or bin them and look for aftermarket solutions and immobilizer deletes?
Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

I feared as much. Thanks for the reply.

What is the "fix"? Tear into them and look for bad solders? Or bin them and look for aftermarket solutions and immobilizer deletes?

don't think solders would be an issue this wide spread, don't think it's ever been narrowed down exactly(electricity is witchcraft to me). I just let mine do its thing as it was only the tach. I believe the cheapest route would be reflash ECU and get some fancy new gauges from somewhere. Houston Superbikes (desmoporche on the board) reflashes ECU's and can delete the immoblizer, look around for gauges motogadget, Radical Ducati off the top of my head but check the sponsors motowheels is bound to have something.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
mooshichoctaw

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »

Houston Superbikes (desmoporche on the board) reflashes ECU's and can delete the immoblizer, look around for gauges motogadget, Radical Ducati off the top of my head but check the sponsors motowheels is bound to have something.

what year is your 620? mine's an '02 and the same issue. houston superbikes can only reflash if your wiring harness is from 2004 and up. so now to get a new set of gauges, i have to rewire the bike, get the ecu flashed, and then install the new cluster. seems like a mess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: