Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drag bars  (Read 7289 times)
shortbus

« on: February 21, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

I finally got to installing drag bars on my 620dark.

It wasn't the most straight forward thing but I did get it to work.

Before these I had the 22.2 Rizomas on and liked them somewhat except for the fact I was always finding myself with not enough weight on the front of the bike. I also wasn't a fan of the back bend on the Rizomas, felt like too much of it (Coming from a mountain bike/bmx background, I'm more used to narrower flatter bars).

With the drag bars, the coffins on the brake and clutch master cylinders ended up hitting the top of the fork legs, so I ended up having to use handlebar risers to clear (cheaper option that new radial master cylinders). In the end, I was kinda glad I used the risers because the overall flatness of these bars pulls enough weight up front, I think had they been lower I'd be struggling to reach (I'm 5'5). The hydraulic lines also aren't too happy with this setup, they seem to want to get into the handlebar mounts (stem) mostly because of the flatter angle of the bars (they are a tad narrower than the rizomas too), but  I did get it to work...

The bike feels a LOT snappier too, the Rizomas just overall make the steering more "sluggish" for lack of a better term. Of course this could all be in my head too.
These bars are completely flat with a 2.4" pullback. I've also included a pic comparing them to the rizomas.

I hadn't seen many posts about this so figured it'd be good reading for anyone who wanted to give it a shot!

cheerios

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:43:31 AM by shortbus » Logged

The rabbit's just a monkey in dis-guise
620 with a 180
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »

Ha, I fiddled with this route twice before and both times decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I assume these are the Bikemasters? Your struggles sound similar to mine. I decided I wasn't ok with how the lines ran with this setup and didn't want to use risers.

Looks great though, so if you made it work and you like it, good on ya.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
shortbus

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »

I hear ya I gave up on this after getting the bars and fiddling with the lines on the coffins the first time around since I really didn't want to raise them, but once I got the lines sorted out I found out then that the coffins themselves hit the fork tops pretty severly (no angle play could remedy that). I gave up on them until I found a set of risers from SSRMfg for like 40$ and figured it'd be worth a shot. The risers are an inch and a quarter, I wish they had something along the line of an inch or just under an inch, it would be JUST enough for the coffins to clear the forks.
The bars are off of ebay from a seller called fly-n-cycle (they had all kindsa funky anno colors and are real cheap)

620 with a 180
shortbus

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »

I forgot to mention, in the end with the risers, the drag bars sit pretty much at the same height (or very close) as the Rizomas did, but they're a whole lot flatter so the controls are pushed forward quite a bit which puts more weight distribution on the front.
I also liked how they looked without the fairing so I took that off too. More naked I suppose...

620 with a 180
shortbus

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »

Update!
I just recently switched bars to some proper Renthals (MX ones, not the roadie bars) and with a lot of fighting got them to work. The Renthals i got are the CR Mid (773 i believe), from the tech specs I felt i could get them to work, the main thing is they're super wide, so the controls have to go further to the sides, which means you'll need to re-route cabling to make this work.
I'll post some pics if people are interested in this setup.  Grin

620 with a 180
shortbus

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »

pics! I also swapped out my bar ends to some cheapo "CNC" mirrors from eBay.

I've yet to take the bike out on a serious ride to really feel the diff but the bars are super comfortable. A tad wide, but i likie.

oh and my new mechanic:  Grin

620 with a 180
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: