Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 12:51:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML's machine shop thread  (Read 293867 times)
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1815 on: March 22, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »

VERY nice!

But,..... What's in the secret compartment?

Evil Evil

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #1816 on: March 22, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »

VERY nice!

But,..... What's in the secret compartment?

Evil Evil

SONOFApregnant dog.

I should have thought of that.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1817 on: March 22, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »

SONOFApregnant dog.

I should have thought of that.

There IS a lot of extra space in that chunk of wood........ I just assumed there was some cool secret.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1818 on: February 20, 2021, 10:54:16 AM »

Wow.  Almost a year since I have updated this.  Much has changed.

Covid.  Changed everything as you all know.  Business dropped way off.  PA closed us down but that only lasted about 3 days before I got a manufacturing exemption from the state and we reopened.  I had 2-3 guys working and the rest on unemployment.

We kept our heads above water, barely.  We got a PPP loan and that made the difference between life and death.  I never saw it as a handout, just my own tax money coming back to me, which I'm fine with.

We finished the year out with a $16k loss.  Could have been way worse.

I had 8 full time employees this time last year, plus me and the Mrs.  Currently 3 plus me and the Mrs.

Since moving last year, we spent most of the summer working on the new place, cleaning out the old place and just enjoyed the new house.  I worked from home for most of last year.

The old house went on the market last November and sold at the end of December.  After living through 2020 we decided to make debt a target.  We took the majority of what we got back from the house sale and paid off three machines that I owed on.

That leaves me with only one machine payment now.  I actually have that one for sale with a used machinery dealer.  I don't have to sell it but it would be better if we did.

Business is still way down.  We applied for and got a second PPP loan, thankfully.  Even with one machine to pay for (about $3500/mo) labor is a huge cost and the PPP covers that until it runs out.  I'm hoping business picks up in the meantime.

I have been quoting a shit ton of parts lately so here's hoping something sticks.

Worst case plan is I make whatever I can may by myself if we have to lay off everyone else.  I can survive like that, even if it's not my preference.

A while back we started the process to bid on DoD work and have gone down that rabbit hole.  They are requiring a lot of cybersecurity guidelines be met before we have access to controlled unclassified information (blue prints for parts) and Mrs Monsterlover is heading up that project as that's her specialty.  I just know how to turn a computer on Grin

I think there's money to be made there so we're pursuing it.  Military spending won't ever go away.  700+billion in 2021 I think?  Even a fraction of a percent would be enough for me.

Time will tell.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1819 on: February 20, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »

Good to hear  waytogo

It will be some kind of better at some point  Undecided

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1820 on: February 20, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »

Good to hear  waytogo

It will be some kind of better at some point  Undecided

It already is.  I used to pay ~ $11,000/mo for machines and now it's $3500.  My stress levels are way down Smiley

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1821 on: February 21, 2021, 02:47:54 AM »

Glad to hear you made it.  Smiley
Hope you make a million with govt contracts too. Like you said, that's a solid market and better it goes to you. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1822 on: February 21, 2021, 02:49:05 AM »

It already is.  I used to pay ~ $11,000/mo for machines and now it's $3500.  My stress levels are way down Smiley

That’s the big win there.  My wife & I targeted debt in 2017/18 & our lives are much better now.  MUCH.  Congrats on even staying afloat!  I know a lot of companies haven’t...  Sad to say.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1823 on: February 21, 2021, 05:10:34 AM »

Glad to hear you made it.  Smiley
Hope you make a million with govt contracts too. Like you said, that's a solid market and better it goes to you. waytogo

I don't know if I'd say I made it or not. Success is still measured daily.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1824 on: February 21, 2021, 05:12:10 AM »

That’s the big win there.  My wife & I targeted debt in 2017/18 & our lives are much better now.  MUCH.  Congrats on even staying afloat!  I know a lot of companies haven’t...  Sad to say.

Many service based companies here have closed permanently. I'm glad I don't sell food to the public.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1825 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:25 AM »

I'll be rooting for you and your company Kevin chug
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1826 on: February 21, 2021, 05:40:56 AM »

chug

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1827 on: February 21, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »

Me too.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #1828 on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »

Good luck going forward. I am happy to see that a PPP loan worked for you. 
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1829 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »

Grin  me too  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124   Go Up
  Print