Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:39:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML's machine shop thread  (Read 292206 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: January 31, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

Dear Alarm Clock,

I really hate you and I turned you off forever, for the most part.

That's right, I quit my job.  No more paycheck from the man.  I can go to bed when I want and get up when I want.

For now.

I've been in sales for the past 5 years selling consumables to the metal cutting industry.  For 9 years before that I was the metal cutting industry working here and there as a programmer or setup guy on CNC machines.

I've programmed and worked on my share of mills and lathes, swiss turn machines and water jet machines.

The timing is right, I'm starting my own shop.

Been wanting to do it for. . . well, since I've been in this business.

Some of my existing customers are excited to do business with me once I'm up and running.  I have a great location lined up.  2200sq ft in the back of a building my parents own.  This = way cheap rent.

I found out last week that a zoning variance I needed to set up in there went through with no problems.

The neighbors came out in force but I talked my way through each of them and prevailed Cheesy

I have a solid business plan and the 24 month projections look F'ing awesome.

Right now I'm collecting letters of intent and am getting ready to talk to lenders.  There's a lot of small business support in my area and I'm working with the SBDC.  I've even gotten a lot of info (contacts, advice, etc) from a future customer Smiley

So I'm about to borrow a truck load of money to buy a CNC turning center with milling and a Y axis (for those of you that know what that's about) and some other bits and pieces to get up and running.

I'll have 5 years to pay back what most folks take 30.

Or 40 nowadays  Undecided

I don't care though.  There's a lot of work out there to support it and I'm a both barrels blazin' type of guy anyhow Grin

Short term goals are:

-Not go out of business
-Make a living for myself and my employees

Long term goals are:

-Medical, aerospace and FDA certifications.
-Make a living for myself and employees

Ok, I want to make some sweet bike and firearm parts too.  I can't lie about that laughingdp

Where this forum can help me is if YOU are with a company that has a need for machined parts please shoot me a PM!  I'd love to see how I might be able to help out.

Wish me luck Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:44:54 AM by Monsterlover » Logged

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Stella

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »

Need a website?  Stationary?  Brochures?

Hmmmm?  Well do ya?     Wink

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »

At some point.

I take it you're a vulture graphic artist as well?

Grin

Wink

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Stella

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »

At some point.

I take it you're a vulture graphic artist as well?

Grin

Wink

Hell no I can't design a thing but I know what good stuff should look like to be effective. Have peeps to do the fancy artwork.  (Polly's Peeps.)   Grin

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »

You are unstoppable laughingdp

Marketing then?

We'll be talking.

Stella

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »

Perfect.

laughingdp

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »

Probably too small time to be of interest to you, but by the time you're up and running, I might have the need for some cnc goodness.

Oh and, congrats! Best of luck on your venture, I'm certainn you will suceed beyond your wildest dreams

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »

God I hope so.

My mother in law is a huge doubter and there's no way im gonna let her be right on this one. Wink

DesmoDiva

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

Good Luck, Kev.

I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park!!

We have a few ideas that may require your services.    waytogo

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

I can be your first customer.
I would like to purchase a metal cod piece of gigantic proportions.

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »

I would like to purchase a metal cod piece of gigantic proportions.

You should get it diamond-encrusted.

Not that you'll need it, Kev, but best of luck! There's no doubt in my mind that you can make this work.  waytogo

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
DRKWNG
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »

SWEET!!  Good luck Kevin!!  It's about time someone gave Aaron (Motohooligan) some competition on some cnc ktm goodness.   waytogo
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »

You should get it diamond-encrusted.
with his skills, he shall imbed the tears of 1000 neglected kittens.
It will sparkle so brightly it will blind all that see it.

Actually, I'm envisioning all the fantastically absurd things I can commission you to create.  Evil

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »

Thanks everyone!

...off to start designing lethes cod piece.

cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Cnc a life size statue of ya mother inlaw n plop it in her yard...   I want a lighter trans casing for my car.. if you can make trans parts out of billet aluminum for a good price, there's a market for it in the car scene.

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: