Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:37:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rattlecan Dark Paint Match (~90%)  (Read 11415 times)
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »

I posted this years ago on TOB, just needed to reference it and thought it would be handy info to have over here:

Quote from: me circa 2007
I bought a red seat cowl off of fleaBay a few weeks ago to put on my 695 Dark. It was obviously going to need paint.

Dark owners looking for a 9/10 paint match for Dark paint, use Duplicolor Perfect Match BUN0090 - Universal Blk Metallic. The metallic isn't a perfect match (the flake is a little larger), but the seat cowl looks perfect to everyone other than the most critical person.

I used 600 grit sandpaper (dry) to knock the gloss off the red paint, hit it with Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter (use their Self-Etching Primer for metal), a few coats of sandable black primer, hit that with some high grit (wet), then finished it off with the BUN0090.

The sun exaggerates the color difference a bit, but the match is VERY close. Maybe not a solution for parts that are right next to a factory Dark part, but the only people that noticed on mine were people that I pointed it out to.

Duplicolor Cowl

Dark Tank - You can see, not a perfect match, but DAMN close.

A few shots of the bike from various angles...

Update: Valspar Satin Clear which is available at Lowe's is the PERFECT finish for Dark paint matching. It applies very easily and uniformly.

Side note - it's amazing to look at old pics of my bike. I barely recognize it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:37:00 AM by Artful » Logged

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
dgm

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »

nice...   as another reference, the harley davidson Black Denim spray cans is pretty good too.  It's expensive, but it's good paint.  I only know because my other bike is a harley in black denim and I've rattlecanned some stuff on it. 

2009 696, Termi CF Pipes ECU Intake, Woodcraft Rearsets, Fender Elim, Shorty Pazzo Levers, CRG Lane Splitters, DP Low Seat, Powder Coated Bits, Speedymoto Frame Sliders, Rizoma Front Sliders, Rhinomoto Rear Sliders, Shorai Batt, Billet Oil Cap, iPhone Mount, LED Blinkers, Leggero Sprocket Cover, TPO Corsa Crankshaft Cover, Canister Delete/Euro Shroud, 14T Front Sprocket
Monster Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »

That's pretty close. To the casual eye, one might not even notice the difference.
Artful

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »

Yeah, it isn't perfect enough to paint a part that will be adjacent to a factory part, but for a $6 rattle can job, it works.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »

Great to know, was wanting to put a cowl on my Dark and wondering about some cheap alternatives for the paint.  Thanks!    waytogo
Artful

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »

May have found the missing link... Valspar Satin Clear is drying with a similar gloss as Dark... pics once it cures.

BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »

May have found the missing link... Valspar Satin Clear is drying with a similar gloss as Dark... pics once it cures.

Another good source for rattle cans are the automotive paint supply shop.  You can give them anything to match to and they put the actual automotive whatever brand you want in a spray can.  Cost a bit more but it is premium auto paint.  Or at least you can at my local shop.

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
speedknot

If a Honda= rice burner, then what is a Ducati?

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

Another good source for rattle cans are the automotive paint supply shop.  You can give them anything to match to and they put the actual automotive whatever brand you want in a spray can.  Cost a bit more but it is premium auto paint.  Or at least you can at my local shop.

Mmmm...  I'll have to check that out.

2001 Duc M750, Harley Forty-Eight, 1976 Honda CB400F-SS, 1975 CB360T
COP TZR

I got the modding virus

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »

did it cure yet?  Waiting to see the final pics.  I have an original "dark" seat cowl, but my tank has been resprayed in the past by the prev. owner and its not quite the right shade.  Looks a little too glossy.   The dark paint seems a little more matte in sheen.  I might just send the tank and seat cowl to get repainted and maybe do a color change.
Artful

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »

Honestly I'd call it a 98% match. It's slightly 'more dark' than Dark but the gloss is absolutely spot on. I had work done yesterday by a long-time Ducati tech and he thought it was factory paint.

I can't speak professionally about the quality of the Duplicolor paint, but the seat cowl was painted four years ago and it hadn't faded a bit and any scratches that were on it would have been on a factory paint job as well. The Valspar clear seems very hard and dries extremely uniformly.

Artful

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »

Here is my windscreen painted with this process, which was the reason I had to look up the old thread to begin with. Hope it helps plenty of folks out.

Artful

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »

Finally fixed my horribly faded SSR gas cap last night. It started anondized black, then in seven days faded to orange. Seven friggin days. SSR's response was "well, you could get it re-anonidzed somewhere locally". Awesome customer service guys, just awesome... yeesh.

So I painted it. This should give you an idea just how close a match this is. Painted the surround silver then shot it with the satin clear to match the gloss.

shortbus

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »

I'm so glad i found this thread, landed a cheap-o fiberglass cowl on ebay and figured i'd paint it to match my 620 Dark, did the BUN0090 thing (btw, don't remove the little white bit on the spray can nozzle thinking it's just a cap and spray without it, that makes a bloody mess).

Here's my cowl result, only did 2 coats (not counting wiping off the original runny mess and re-sanding down) and don't plan on clear coating since it'll get stickered soon enough after it gets a chance to cure (I figure a couple weeks?). It's way better than I ever expected I'd achieve  Grin

Anyway as gratitude to OP I'll throw pics. Thanks again Artful!

The rabbit's just a monkey in dis-guise
620 with a 180
Artful

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:30 AM »

No sweat, glad I could help  waytogo

Xzebet

Monsterdark 600 2001

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »

Really have been looking for a spray paint that would be close to the real Dark and you guys found it. Now I just have to figure out how I can find a can in Finland.  Huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: