Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodcraft clip-on review  (Read 15599 times)
korey

« on: December 30, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »

Recently installed some Woodcraft clipons on my bike in place of another brand. Heres a review and brief tutorial on them.

Here are the clip-ons. They are two inch raise in this case, but are available in other raise heights or with no raise at all, it depends on your taste.

One of the things that made the Woodcraft stand out to me versus the other brands is they have a two piece fork clamp. This means you don't have to remove your upper tripple every time you want/have to install or remove them from the bike.

The next thing that really stands out with these is that they are 3 piece. Most manufacturers would make these plain and secured fully only by the machine screws. Woodcraft makes these with a keyed design which I really like. I makes the fit much firmer and more secure.

You can see the tolerances are perfect and the fit is very tight.

I also really liked how they use flat head machine screws so they are recessed and flush,  versus a cap head screw like most manufacturers would use. Be sure to use blue Loctite on the hardware securing the raiser before installing them on the bike.

The tubes come with a nice bar end in each side, unlike some other manufacturers which don't include any.

Now moving onto the install. You need you mock up the clip-ons after you have removed your previous bars. When you put the stock controls on the bike you will have two options. To grind down the locating pin or to make holes for it in the tubes. As you can see here the previous owner of my bike chose the lazy way and ground them down.

If you drill the hole in yours you will need to use a spring loaded punch to mark the spot and then the appropriate sized drill bit to drill the hole.

Repeat on both sides and get everything mounted. Before tightening down all of the bolts make adjustments to have everything correctly oriented.

Then tighten the four bolts that secure the fork clamps. There on two on each side and they face different ways per side so you can easily reach the back ones with a L shaped allen.

Tighten the clamp holding the tubes.

And you're done! You can see the two inch raise comes just over the upper tripple. It is much more comfortable than a no raise clip-on and still gives that agressive look and feel you get from clip-ons.

For more information on the clip-ons you can click on their logo below,

Raux
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:47:37 AM »

I'm using them as well. Zero rise. Love them. I didn't drill them, but the installation was great. Great quality product.
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »

i'm a big woodcraft products fan.  also they put alot into the racing community.  gotta support co's that support the sport. bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »

Great write-up, I could definitely see myself going this route and this how-to will be very useful.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
lofty55

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »

no complaints about mine waytogo

This is more fun than standing still at a radiohead concert.

'07 S2R1K
'02 998
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »

I used to have the no-rise version on my 695. Theuy were awesome. The only thing is that they should have come with a. Warning that reads: "Abandon all hope all ye who lean over"

Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »

I'm working on getting a set of 2.5 inchers put on my S2R, and I'm thrilled.  Like Atomic said, the Wood family has been in racing for years and all their stuff is designed and manufactured with the real rider in mind.  They're pricey, but well worth every penny.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:39:08 AM »

What do you all reckon is  the rise required to achieve near stock bar height?

I'll likely switch to clipons to allow some adjustable Showa's to fit.
Adjustable sweep backa plus. Not after lower position.

Rizoma hsa a nice piece that incorporates a top triple, which I have to consider.
Stock triple is like a show stopper, but the budget doesn't allow for excess bling.
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:41:19 AM »

You may be able to achieve close to the stock height, but they're still going to be set forward a touch.  I got mine in 2.5, and I think they only go up to 3 inches.  Don't have a pic with the triple on, but you be the judge.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »

I believe you need near to 4 inches to achieve close to stock.

For an extreme comparo, this is what no-rise looks like

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:52:43 AM by El Matador » Logged

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:53 AM »

The 3" Swatt risers put my grips (GRIPS!) a good two inches lower than stock - the answer is that you need + 5 inch risers to end up at stock height. Clip ons put your grip closer (CLOSER!) to you - it just feels like a longer reach when they are also lower.

Rizoma has very little sweep back. Not much more, if any, than stock.

Rob a bank to raise funds for aftermarket triple, or paint the one you've got.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »

If a person were to do an SBK swap, given those forks are longer than stock and will protrude an extra 35mm or so above the top triple(if keeping the stock geometry), I wonder how much rise one would need to get to stock height with the clipons mounted above the triple, and how many mms one would need to raise the forks on top of that to get adequate clamping area  Huh? I suppose there's only one way to find out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:15:23 PM by bergdoerfer » Logged

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

If a person were to do an SBK swap, given those forks are longer than stock and will protrude an extra 23mm or so above the top triple(if keeping the stock geometry), I wonder how much rise one would need to get to stock height with the clipons mounted above the triple, and how many mms one would need to raise the forks on top of that to get adequate clamping area  Huh? I suppose there's only one way to find out.

I assume you're talking about testing, but the math is simple. 3 " risers puts the grips 2" under stock height. If the top triple and the clip are roughly 1" each..... over the triple = stock height.

At the most, around 10mm or so of extra protrution - not enough to scare you.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »

This is from suzyj's SBK swap w/ Woodcrafts:

Zero rise. Looks good, so only 3mm more fork leg than what would normally be needed above the top triple for an above-triple clipon attachment with SBK forks. I'm assuming the grips are around the stock height, since I don't think she mentioned not using the stock brake lines. Although, I think different brake lines are needed to run the 4-pot brakes she installed.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Jarvicious

Balls

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:04:02 AM »

Doesn't Rizoma make an upper triple/clip on combo that basically clamps the bars right to the top of the triple?  I feel like I've seen that here somewhere.  It put the grips somewhat close to stock height but still gave it a sporty look without the riserbar. 

Ha, found it before I even finished my post.

http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/PA202/Bars-Mirrors/PA202.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: