Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 20, 2024, 04:38:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the ungeheuer tyre thread  (Read 29956 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

I've got a set of Diablo Rosso Corsa's on my track bike (GSXR 750). They came new on the bike. Not sure whether to run them or put 'em on my Monster. Are they grippy enough for flat out track days, or would you run slicks? I'm used to slicks at the track from Formula 400. I can get second hand slicks cheap from a mate and was wondering if the Rosso's would be worth putting on the monster.

Also, I'm running a Dunlop Q2 on the back of my Monster at the moment. It's a good street tyre I reckon, it's a bit on the sporty side. Bloody hell it's a big 180. It fills out the rear of the bike like a 190 and only just fits. A mate and I were comparing our Monsters rear tyres (both 93-98 model types). He has a 180 Pirelli Rosso and my Q2 looks huge next to it. The angle of the sidewall really flares outwards another 5mm each side, leaving only 5mm clearnce from the chain. If the adjustment is a little out the chain will rub the tyre.
Looks tough though.

2015 Scrambler 800
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:26 AM »

I'd say the tyre is not fully suited to a track bike, it would do fine on the Monster as a track tyre but no your Gixer.
If it was the Diablo Supercorsa you'd be fine, but if it's just a track bike then do the slicks especially if you can get them on the cheap.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 02:36:45 AM »

I've got a set of Diablo Rosso Corsa's on my track bike (GSXR 750).
Track bike Tony? You Dark horse  Evil waytogo.
Also, I'm running a Dunlop Q2 on the back of my Monster at the moment. It's a good street tyre I reckon, it's a bit on the sporty side. Bloody hell it's a big 180.
Dead right, a mate of mine is running Q2s and compared to my last couple of 180s it looks like a 190....  as you say the side walls are really flared in comparison....  I have a set of Q2s lined up next.... but they'll need to be good to feel better than my recently fitted Conti Sport Attacks...... 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:07 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning that way. Having raced on slicks and used tire warmers they are a bit of a crutch for me now on the track. I don't fully utilize their capabilities but I feel more confident with them Embarrassed.

The Rosso Corsas would be plenty sticky for spirited road riding Evil.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:34 AM »

Track bike Tony? You Dark horse  Evil waytogo.Dead right, a mate of mine is running Q2s and compared to my last couple of 180s it looks like a 190....  as you say the side walls are really flared in comparison....  I have a set of Q2s lined up next.... but they'll need to be good to feel better than my recently fitted Conti Sport Attacks...... 

Hey Unge how are ya'?

It was a Christmas present from my beautiful wife. A total surprise, wrapped in a red velvet bow.
She had pity on me after I sold my Formula 400 bike to pay for the kids teeth.

A mate is selling his new Rosso's to put Q2's on his Monster because they look so tough! The difference between our two bikes from the rear is killing him!

The tyre guy said that the Q2's and Pilot Pure's are similar performance wise , but that the Q2's last longer. They were the same price so I got the Q2's.  Now I know they're fat.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »

He put the Q2s on and is rapped. Marginal clearance from the chain (5mm) and gotta get it spot on as I found.

They will look mean as shark shit with your SSS.

2015 Scrambler 800
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »

Monsterdorf, have you done a few k's on those new Pirelli tyres now?
What say you about them?

After the little Oxley tour there are a few of us in need of new rubber, the Rosso Corsa are the top of my list, along with the Conti Sport Attack.
I know Brian has them on as does Unger.
What's your verdict so far on them Unger? I am told that the Conti's are made by a bunch of ex Pirelli engineers so they have a similar profile but must be run at 42-44 psi in the rear and 38+ in the front.

I tried higher pressure in the Pilot Pure's on day 2 and 3 which felt better but I am still not going back to them a 2nd time.

So do tell about those new Pirelli's.

goldFiSh

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »

I guess it's time to start reading opinions on tyres.. There's not much left on my michelins after the recent trip. 

Also interest to hear opinions on recent tyre choices. Had michelins for the last two sets ; roads and powers.... Was thinking of going back to pirelli, but contis are not in the mix given some recent good experience by some.  Never ridden on bridgestones, so perhaps I should be looking there too?
cakeman

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »

im tossing up between bt-16's and diablo rosso corsa..........

monstermick58

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »

I can say nothing but good words for Bridgestones, they have never let go unexpected and wear well and I like the profile, they let the Monster ease over into turns nice and predictable, from me they get  waytogo waytogo

Mmick

This won't hurt much.... Trust me......
braando
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

I guess it's time to start reading opinions on tyres.. There's not much left on my michelins after the recent trip. 

Also interest to hear opinions on recent tyre choices. Had michelins for the last two sets ; roads and powers.... Was thinking of going back to pirelli, but contis are not in the mix given some recent good experience by some.  Never ridden on bridgestones, so perhaps I should be looking there too?
Goldy, after reading that new thread that you started for me I couldn't wait to lend a hand here re new tyres. Go for sport attacks mate as I can get a nice shine on the sidewalls and it doesn't seem to run when they get warm.  !   waytogo. I do hope this has helped you make a decision.
goldFiSh

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »

Thanks so much Brian, I was hoping that you could have chimed in on that thread..... perhaps you're saving your comments for later...

I'm getting good reports that the Conti's are the business (my previous post in this thread should have read that they're in the mix of choice), just concerned about how many kms you'll get out of them. Its not really the choice of brand I'm suffering, more really whether I should buy Sports Touring or not.

Now, as for shine, I'm glad that you noticed my own OCD when it comes to bike cleanliness, and you've assisted greatly in narrowing it down. I've read reports of the Michelins not holding tyre black when they get hot. Thanks for the input  waytogo

braando
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 03:20:39 AM »

On a more serious note mate, i have only just scrubbed them in on the weekend but so far, so good. I was a tad tentative in the wet at first but by the end of Oxley i trusted them with my life. I put them on after chatting with a tyre rep who dealt with a few brands but swore by the Sport Attacks. I did a lot of research on the net in forums and such, never heard a bad word.......BUT......you have to run them hard to get the benefits.......forget the 32/34 theories.......these buggers have to be 38/42 to perform....they tried less in tests but they overheat and you won't be happy with them......Mate, i don't confess to be an expert, nor have the experience that our good friend Mmick does.......but, put it this way......after 1000 or so k's, i have scrubbed then in dam near to the edges.....only confidence in a tyre will let me do that. But if you prefer a more touring oriented tyre, they also say that the Conti Road Attack 2 is brilliant as well.....and will last longer......Matty may be trying my bike this week so hang off till he gives you a report.
Brian W/ "Teflon",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?Huh??................... Roll Eyes
goldFiSh

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »

Thanks mate, the longevity is what I am after. As you saw on the trip, I'm more docile than others in the twisties, and with the softer compounds end up with a pretty squared tyre with the type of riding I do.

My conundrum is that my only ST tyre experience with a Michelin Pilot Road (not the Road 2), which gave me reason for not liking them on more than one occasion, mostly when the tyre was not up to temp.

So, I'm figuring that current generation touring, esp dual compound types, should be better performers. So I guess that I'm going to suck it up and try a latest generation ST tyre and see how it fairs.

Does anyone have opinions on having a ST on the rear and a more sporty on the front?

braando
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »

Don't quote me, but i am 90% sure that is what Mmick does.......he gets the softer stickier compound for the front and harder on the rear, then both are totally shagged together.........am i correct there mmick  ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: