Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 08:33:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edit: Temporary Tucson – furnishings – Options?  (Read 12023 times)
Stella

« on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »

Hi AZ riders!

Close friends of mine from Denver (a married couple) are in Tucson. They were there for the bicycle event "El Tour de Tucson" held this past weekend.  

Unfortunately, the experienced rider that he is (6,000+ miles a year on his bike), took a tumble and is in ICU with a brain injury and in a coma.

She is staying at their hotel but that cost is adding up.

Thought I'd see if there was anyone here who knows of cheaper alternative housing or if anyone had a spare room/bathroom for her – whether it's for a week or two...?  She is a great person, kind, quiet, personable.  Would be coming and going late and early....

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please PM me if you have any.

Thanks everyone!!  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:17:16 PM by Stella » Logged

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Stella

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »

Temporary housing has been found - thank you!  Not sure for how long but my friend is set for the time being.  Many thanks to everyone for the thoughts, suggestions and well wishes (via Facebook).   waytogo

djrashonal

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »

great! if anything changes let me know! we've got a big comfy couch your friend is more than welcomed to. and if their stay extends into mid december, we'll have a guest room available. Keep us posted on the surgeries!

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »

Good news.  PM me if she finds herself needing another place.  I've got family in town with extra room.

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
Monster Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »

Hey Stella,

Maureen and I rode in El Tour and I happened to hear that there was someone taken away on a stretcher from a rather serious injury. I'm so sorry to hear that it was your friend and that he was hurt so badly.

Many wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Dave.
Stella

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »

Thanks a bunch Dave! 

I will be surprised (and grateful and ecstatic) if he does survive. It's that bad but the thing he has going for him was/is that he was always in the best of health and shape possible.   waytogo

Monster Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »

Any idea exactly what happened? Was anyone else hurt?
Stella

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

Having done the tour, you're familiar with the large "crevices" on the roads.  Mile 4, his front wheel got caught in one of those and he somehow twisted during the fall, hitting the back of his head on the pavement.  Significant brain injury, on a ventilator and in a coma. 

The one good sign is that he has responded to some commands such as "wiggle your toes". 

The race director and a few others with the AZ cycling board have been in touch with his wife and the paramedics have also visited.  Great people down there!   waytogo

Monster Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »

Having done the tour, you're familiar with the large "crevices" on the roads.  Mile 4, his front wheel got caught in one of those and he somehow twisted during the fall, hitting the back of his head on the pavement.  Significant brain injury, on a ventilator and in a coma. 

The one good sign is that he has responded to some commands such as "wiggle your toes". 

The race director and a few others with the AZ cycling board have been in touch with his wife and the paramedics have also visited.  Great people down there!   waytogo

Wow - I think I saw the aftermath of that. I recall seeing a bicycle with it's front wheel bent in half and wondered how that could have happened.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound like his helmet held up very well - which is sad because that's all there is between you and injury - and it isn't much.

I sincerely hope that he recovers. It is a good sign that he is responding. I'll get in touch with the people from Perimeter Bicycling and be sure they are aware of the situation.
Stella

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »

Dave, thanks for leaving the nice note today with Lise and Joe!   So thoughtful...   waytogo

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:51:57 AM »

D*mn..that's a bad accident!   Undecided  I'll be in Tucson tomorrow.  My dad's friends have fully furnished rentals down there but I see your friend has a place already.  Hopefully, everything turns out OK.  What hospital is he at?

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Stella

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »

He's at University Medical.  And yes, housing is set for now, thanks! 

Stella

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »

Just chatted with my friend for a few minutes.  She's now moving to a guest house (at no cost) of the distant relatives and will need a few things.

The place is on S. Palomar (zip 85711).  Will provide exact addy if you're able to loan anything, just pm me.

Apparently the place doesn't have much so if anyone can temporarily spare any furniture (we didn't get into specifics but I'll find out) in addition to towels, microwave, and a printer (we shipped her laptop the other day) so she can get some time in at work (as a graphic designer and editor) – it would of course be much appreciated!

I can also put you in direct contact with her.  Might be easier?

Just throwing this out there. Will also check with our other non-moto circle of friends too and their connections in the area.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYONE! 

djrashonal

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »

I'm on the north side and I've got a bunch of stuff she can use. PM me with specific requests, or her info...or send me an email to the one on my profile!

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
Stella

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

Email sent.  Thank you!!!!    waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: