Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 06:38:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray Painting your Bike  (Read 34272 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »

yea, dont!

On a more serious note, chrome is a very slippery surface it may be difficult to paint it without roughing it out significantly.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
scott_araujo

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »

The only way to really do it right is to sand off all the chrome BUT there are some paints out there designed to follow a good sanding that stick pretty well.  Be especially aware of forward facing surfaces, these get the most gravel thrown at them and chip easily.  If you aren't going flat black you can do 3M plastic coating or similar.  Don't bother with the pipes, they get too hot to hold paint.  Maybe do a black fiberglass wrap.

I've been tempted lately to find a Rebel or Savage for cheap and go to town chopping parts off.  Could be lots of fun to have a min chopper with a homespun paint job.

Scott
redxblack

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »

That's what I'm working on right now!

This is the mid-stage in my bobber project

I'm waiting on parts to arrive, then piece it together, tear it apart, paint and reassemble.
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 07:08:18 PM »

Found this w/ the search function - very helpful!

I'm considering blacking out all the chrome on a Honda Rebel and painting the tank and fenders Olive Drab. Any tips on painting chrome?

I've had good luck with high temp exhaust paint on well...an exhaust pipe(mid pipe). It came out nice after sanding the chrome(and the rusty spots) aggressively and then going to finer sand paper. Used several light coats and two wet coats. He wanted it done quick, or I would have gone to 600 or 1000 grit paper(I think I used the 300 I had lying around). It came out pretty nice and the owner was pleased.
djrashonal

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »

So im lookin to spray paint my S4 with the JD Blitz Black, but some of the stuff I see comes out wierd and some comes out like this:

im tryin to figure out what I need to do to make it look like that!

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
gh0stie
All I ever wanted as a kid was to be a

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

OP, can you post some updates on what the bike looks like now?  I'm curious to see how the paint held up
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »

Been down 5 times, and knocked over 3 times and ran over by a old ass f150 once.

Also had chicken fat thrown on it. and keyed several times.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:09:27 PM by He Man » Logged

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
scott_araujo

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 09:08:54 AM »

Been down 5 times, and knocked over 3 times and ran over by a old ass f150 once.

Also had chicken fat thrown on it. and keyed several times.

Where the hell do you park? Wink
causeofkaos

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 05:00:39 AM »

Where the hell do you park? Wink

you know when you are out on your bike for a day of relaxation on your moto, and you need to park the bike; you go around in circles looking for a spot and you keep coming up with "man that spot looks like a disaster waiting to happen". If Heman lived near that area that is where his bike would be. Grin

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
scott_araujo

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »

Um....

Like you have a bad day at work, blow of early, do 30 miles of country road to clear your head, go to meet your friend for dinner to relax and talk, park a good 4-5' behind a car so they have plenty of room to pull back even though they don't need it because there's 10' in front of them, then, sitting outside on the first nice day of the year halfway through a cocktail you look up in disbelief to see them backing right into and knocking over your bike 8' in front of you, and as the slow motion video unfolds you hear that sickening crunch of sheet metal as it hits the asphalt.

Yeah, I know that spot.  It's righ outside my favorite restaurant and I was there Tuesday. 

But what really made me laugh about HeMan's post was the chicken fat Cheesy

Scott

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »

Um....

Like you have a bad day at work, blow of early, do 30 miles of country road to clear your head, go to meet your friend for dinner to relax and talk, park a good 4-5' behind a car so they have plenty of room to pull back even though they don't need it because there's 10' in front of them, then, sitting outside on the first nice day of the year halfway through a cocktail you look up in disbelief to see them backing right into and knocking over your bike 8' in front of you, and as the slow motion video unfolds you hear that sickening crunch of sheet metal as it hits the asphalt.

Yeah, I know that spot.  It's righ outside my favorite restaurant and I was there Tuesday. 

But what really made me laugh about HeMan's post was the chicken fat Cheesy

Scott

ummm

Like that time where i parked, oh make the beast with two backs it you know already. :/

scott_araujo

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »

All else aside, your paint is really shiny!  Is that from the chicken fat?  Wonder if I can shine up my dark paint that way...

laughingdp

Scott
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »

All else aside, your paint is really shiny!  Is that from the chicken fat?  Wonder if I can shine up my dark paint that way...

laughingdp

Scott

Duck fat works much better, and holds up to rain better as well.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
Glass_Darkly

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

I am thinking of dropping the engine out of my m750 which is gun metal in colour and has started bubbling in places and spraying it a matt black is it worth it Huh?

Maximilian ! Ducati M750 Dark.....  Getting  darker
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: