Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 04:33:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No more chain care. I hope so.....  (Read 7411 times)
BG DUKE

A healthy Monster is a happy Monster

« on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:54 AM »

Hi.
I want to share with you my little monster upgrade.
After many, many times of cleaning and then respraying sticky chain lube I decided to stop making this dirty and boring exercise. That was the easiest part of the job.    

After a little research about what's the best way to keep your chain in good working condition I decided that the most common thing is to keep it clean and a little bit oiled, to decrease the friction between the chain rollers and the sprockets. Then the decision was to install chain oiler on my bike. I had a few ideas about fabricating my own oiler with a vacume or electric tap, but then I found this article: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride%20Magazine/Product%20test%20pdfs/Chain%20oiler%20test.pdf

It's a "Ride Magazine" chain oiler test and comparison. They tested few of this nice gadgets and compared them one to another. And then nominated a "best buy" product. Wich for me means just best "money for effectivness" comparison. I know that the expensive systems work very well, without taking the rider's attention, but I'm trying to keep the bike as simple as possible.

One month ago I purchased the TUTORO chain oiler, and after instaling and tuning it I was realy amazed of that little chain lubrication divice. It works really good. The chain is well loobed outside and inside, clean from dirt and rust, and with no extra oil on the rear part of the bike. It needs to determine the amount of oil drops per minute first, wich is a little time taking procedure.
It has to be done on every bike, depending on the choosen position of the reservoir,the lenght of the hose, the viscosity of the oil (I used 10W50 full synthetic engine oil, becouse it was what I had in the garage) and of course of the local air temperature.

The only thing that you have to remember is to close the tap after ride.

For the instalation I used the plastic pipe, the ties and the rubber pads in the kit, and piece of copper pipe ( from car brake system) for better and stable position of the twin-feed nozzile toward the rear sprocket (somewhere between 7 to 8 o'clock).

I like it because it's simple, afficient, not so hard to tune and the most common reason it is really cheap.

Top Up, Turn On and Ride Off  [moto]

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:05:27 AM by BG DUKE » Logged
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:07:13 AM »

Cool.   waytogo  How about some pictures, otherwise it didn't happen.  Cool

BG DUKE

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 05:06:25 AM »

You can't see em Huh?
If somebody else can't see the pics, please inform me and I'll upload them in other site.

Thanks  chug
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »

I can see them just fine.  waytogo

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
Monster Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:39 AM »

Interesting....

Though, I never found cleaning the chain to be a major task.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »

Isn't the oil supposed to drip on the chain, not the sprocket?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »

You would still have to clean the chain periodically anyway. You'll never get away from having to do that. For me wiping the chain down with a rag and some chain wax every 200 or so miles is not a big deal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:59:48 AM by bergdoerfer » Logged

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:16:13 AM »

You would need to readjust the drip rate since it is much thinner, but automatic transmission fluid handles pressure better and doesn't pick up as much dirt.
JEFF_H

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »

Looks like a Vampire spare vial hanging there  Cool
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »

One of the O-rings on the clutch pushrod from my bike is failing and seeps a little oil. Same function, none of the cost  Grin  I need to get that fixed ASAP:

Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »

You can't see em Huh?
If somebody else can't see the pics, please inform me and I'll upload them in other site.

Thanks  chug

My bad.  Pictures must have been posted to a site that is blocked at work which is where I first read this thread.  I can see them now.  It's all good.   waytogo

Isn't the oil supposed to drip on the chain, not the sprocket?

+1   Huh?

BG DUKE

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:15 AM »

Thank you for the comments  waytogo especially for the vampire's vival  applause. The red oil on that dark bike looks really cool.
I'll try to answer your questions:
I won't stop taking care about my chain. Stop checking it can be a really dangerous and self-harming idea. This one is for change, because the little beast stretched it with my help of course  Roll Eyes

When the oil drips on the sprocket the centrifugal force is the one that spreads it on the chain. If the oil drips directly on the chain (depending of the speed of the bike, the speed of the chain and the viscosity of the oil) there is a chance that the falling oil drop could break on very small drops, or just couldn't have the chance to stick on the chain. By this reason the place where the oil is applyed to the chain is one of the most important things in these systems.

The new oil has very good cleaning functions and there is no need of extra cleaning. You have to do it only if you ride in bad weather conditions, mud or rain.

I can try with automatic transmission fluid  waytogo

@El Matador I hope you'll fix that oil leak very soon, notwithstanding the extra chain lubing function Wink
Monster Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »

How is it that the added/frequently applied oil doesn't cause dirt and crud to stick to the chain?
WhiteStripe

Monster Addiction

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »

Look really cool, but don't you get a shit load of oil flinging around while you ride???

2006 S2R 1000, Arrow CF exhaust, FatDuc 02, CF open cc with stock pp
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »

How is it that the added/frequently applied oil doesn't cause dirt and crud to stick to the chain?

Clean oil in, dirty oil out. That's how it was explained to me.

Look really cool, but don't you get a shit load of oil flinging around while you ride???

Adjusted right, there's no more flinging than normal. Depending also, I guess, on the type of oil.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: