Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 09:31:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 64436 times)
Duck-Stew

« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »

Hey Scott and Stu,

I am about to hit 600 mi. on the Scrambler. What are your suggestions beyond oil/filter/chain service/checking stuff? Do you guys have a favorite oil/filter combination for the 803? Are you interested in working on the Scrambler? Do you recommend PJ's while in warranty?

Thanks.

The first service is an oil change and they check over things like bolts still being tight and such.  If you ever needed an official dealership to do a warranty claim, they DO look at things like whether or not you've been in for any services or not.  So, maybe the first service (or two) should be done there to establish a service history.  But, outside of that:

A full synthetic motor oil is fine and I think that uses the 15w50 or 20w50 grade.  Chain service is a 2 minute affair with a can of lube.  As far as a brand of oil goes, the OE manual usually lists a manufacturer which would have to be at least considered.

YES!  We are interested in working on the Scrambled-Eggs!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2015, 06:23:22 AM »

The first service is an oil change and they check over things like bolts still being tight and such.  If you ever needed an official dealership to do a warranty claim, they DO look at things like whether or not you've been in for any services or not.  So, maybe the first service (or two) should be done there to establish a service history.  But, outside of that:

A full synthetic motor oil is fine and I think that uses the 15w50 or 20w50 grade.  Chain service is a 2 minute affair with a can of lube.  As far as a brand of oil goes, the OE manual usually lists a manufacturer which would have to be at least considered.

YES!  We are interested in working on the Scrambled-Eggs!
starting on the M696 onwards, the oil which is filled in the factory is 15W50 . . . 10W40 is still approved, specially for the "older" bikes . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
gfitzgi

« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »

Scott or Stu,

There is a 748R listed on Craig's List.  Says it had service with you guys.  I was wondering the story on it. Looks like the plastics have been replaced.  Just curious.

Thanks.

Scott
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2015, 06:55:23 AM »

Scott or Stu,

There is a 748R listed on Craig's List.  Says it had service with you guys.  I was wondering the story on it. Looks like the plastics have been replaced.  Just curious.

Thanks.

Scott

Not too many of those around, Scott.  They're rare like chicken teeth.  Larry Zambello owned one for a while so you might ask him about it...it might be the same one as they're really uncommon.

I have notes of working on one (a yellow one) for Moto Authority that had a problem with an electrical connector (the fuel pump wouldn't run but it was because someone had "sealed" an electrical connector with grease and the grease had worked its way between the pins and sockets so no power got where it was supposed to go), and later installing a few miscellaneous parts (alarm, dash cover, swing arm cover, high-beam headlight repair via replacement of a Weatherpack connector) but not a complete service.

My recollection is that the bike is in excellent condition.  What's he asking?

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
gratefulduc

« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »

My 748r went to Oklahoma and only had 2k miles on it. I dont believe I ever had it serviced under my brief tenure. Great bike

'90 750 sport
handensco

« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »

Here I go. The bike is an 01 900 ssie. It has sat for the better part of 5 years. this year I changed the belts, oil, plugs and rebuilt the front end. I installed a shorai battery. I went to start it yesterday. When I turn the key the gauges do not sweep and the pump does not come on. I hear a faint click like a fuze is popping. All the fuzes are good. The headlight, tail light and the signals come on. The very faint click appears to be coming from the area of the ECU. Help!!!  I live up in SF so getting the bike anyplace is not easy. I really like to work on them myself.
Thanks
David

93 900SL, 01900SS, 82 FXWG, 80 FLH, 76 R90/6, 98 XR400R, 4 Grand Daughters and I have a hoarding problem?
Duck-Stew

« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2015, 05:52:59 AM »

David,

On an '01 900SSi.e., the gauge needles won't sweep.  It's powered by the 1.5ECU and a non-immobilizer gauge set.  The 5.9ECU w/immobilizer does the needle sweep.

Anywho.  The right hand handle bar switch (OFF / ON / CRANK) has a 4-pin connector.  They occasionally corrode connections and cause people fits like what you're describing.  I'd start there.

Let us know...

Cloner

« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »

Also, Shorai batteries are a handful when they're cold.  Voltage drops and they just don't crank worth a damn when temps are cool.  Warm the battery up by leaving the switch on for a few minutes before starting and check the voltage to see you have at least 12V before cranking.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
handensco

« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2015, 06:53:04 AM »

I have good voltage and the engine brands over good. I think it is either the relay or the pump. I will do a test on those to try and figure out which. The bike is in the sunroom so it is 42* outside but 70 in here at 8 in the morning. I am going though the connectors and spraying contact cleaner and then putting dialectic grease in them. I hop that is how you are supposed to do it. Waiting on a cable for my battery charger. Thanks guys!

93 900SL, 01900SS, 82 FXWG, 80 FLH, 76 R90/6, 98 XR400R, 4 Grand Daughters and I have a hoarding problem?
handensco

« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »

I did a bunch of test on the relay and the pump. It all was good. I took another reading on the battery and it was down. I put the battery on the special Shorai charger and let it sit overnight. The fuel pump started running. I started the bike and it runs bow down. I had bought a set of high mount GPR pipes and the bike sounds amazing. Now I just have to finish putting it together and I will have 2 Super Sports running.

Cloner

« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »

Need a third?  I have an 800 SS race bike with tons of spares (including a spare engine) I'll sell for $3k.  It's an AHRMA F3 #1 plate winner in 2014!

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
handensco

« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »

I have enough now. With 2 harley's one down to the frame and 2 SS's, the old beemer and the dirt bike I barely have enough time to ride. I am looking at an old BMW R100/GS bumblebee. Last year was over 1000 in tires.  bang head

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »

Thanks for taking care of my SC over the last week.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Duck-Stew

« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »

Thanks for taking care of my SC over the last week.

Never a problem!  (Outside of the logistics...). Hope to see you soon amigo!

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »

Thursday night.  I'll be pee'ing in Mouse's toilet. 

Or back yard...

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: