Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 09:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 64439 times)
Duck-Stew

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »

Hey All,

The lack of any independent Ducati support had bothered me since I got back in April.  At that time, all I had for employment was PJ's and I promised him I wouldn't open a competing business.  Well, since then I've got a different job and he has opened up to the idea of an independent working WITH him to help service needs of Ducati riding New Mexicans.  I'm very excited about all of this and Scott's done a great job expressing our enthusiasm so far.  This is going to be really good!!

--Stu

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »

Both of you enjoy doing this type of work and there is nothing more fullfilling than transforming
your hobby or passion into a business (Pam can vouch for that).
Since you are doing this on the side for now you can get a feel for the potential of this
becoming a full time business. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.
I have a 15,000 mile service coming up on my Monster and a constant tire problem Wink
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »

Thank you guys for doing an awesome job on my bike. I'm extremely happy the way it runs and how the front brakes have improved.
The written detailed assesment and the pictures portraying your attention to detail creates a whole new business model when it comes to servicing motorcycles and customer service.
You obviously put a lot of thought into taking motorcycle service to a higher level. 
Duck-Stew

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 07:32:39 AM »

Karl,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  Scott & I have thought long and hard about how to structure this venture and we both feel very strongly about bringing professional, honest and cost-effective service to our fellow New Mexico Ducati owners.

It was our pleasure to have helped keep this motorcycle going strong and to have helped a dear friend.

--Stuart  waytogo

DrDesmo

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »

Thank you guys for doing an awesome job on my bike. I'm extremely happy the way it runs and how the front brakes have improved.
The written detailed assesment and the pictures portraying your attention to detail creates a whole new business model when it comes to servicing motorcycles and customer service.
You obviously put a lot of thought into taking motorcycle service to a higher level. 

applause applause applause

If I had a Duc, Stew would be the one working on it  waytogo

Cheers,
Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
Duck-Stew

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »

applause applause applause

If I had a Duc, Stew would be the one working on it  waytogo

Cheers,
Adam

Desert Desmo does work on other European makes on a case-by-case basis BTW...  But there's also the proximity thing...

DrDesmo

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »

Desert Desmo does work on other European makes on a case-by-case basis BTW...  But there's also the proximity thing...

Pish posh, it's just an excuse for an epic ride  Grin

Cheers,
Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
ducmot

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »

So, what is the contact information for Desert Desmo?

“Recycling and speed limits are bullshit, they're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed"
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »

So, what is the contact information for Desert Desmo?

I pretty sure it's (505) 238-0323, if that doesn't work PM me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:48:29 PM by Zaster » Logged
Duck-Stew

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »

Alternatively, you can PM myself or 'Cloner', call the above #, or dial me up @ 505-359-1500

Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »

I pretty sure it's (505) 238-0323, if that doesn't work PM me.

That's my cell, so feel free to use it.  Sorry if you tried before Monday, but my old cell finally died and had to be replaced.  Since it's a company phone (from my "real" job) we had to order it through our corporate purchasing department and it took over a week to get it shipped and activated, but it's up and working now, so dial away!

What do you ride, and what do you need done to it, ducmot?

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
DrDesmo

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »

That's my cell, so feel free to use it.  Sorry if you tried before Monday, but my old cell finally died and had to be replaced.  Since it's a company phone (from my "real" job) we had to order it through our corporate purchasing department and it took over a week to get it shipped and activated, but it's up and working now, so dial away!

What do you ride, and what do you need done to it, ducmot?

Not to threadjack, but you guys should look into Google Voice if you haven't - you can have it forward to different numbers / cell phones, it has voice mail, call screening, etc.  I use it and it's brilliant  waytogo

Cheers,
Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
Cloner

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »

Not to threadjack, but you guys should look into Google Voice if you haven't - you can have it forward to different numbers / cell phones, it has voice mail, call screening, etc.  I use it and it's brilliant  waytogo

Cheers,
Adam

We have a Google Voice number, too, Adam, but we just give our cell numbers to our friends.  It saves a layer of complication (as the GV number just forwards to our cells) and we know nothing gets lost!

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
ducmot

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »

Thanks for the number(s).  I will keep them for future use!

“Recycling and speed limits are bullshit, they're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed"
Cloner

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »

I know I've always encouraged you guys to change your brake fluid more often, but I've never really tried to explain why it's so important in motorcycles.  I read a post in the "Tech" section this morning where a gent was trying to diagnose a condition where his brakes failed four times during a ride, and after reading his narrative I'm positive that his problem is lack maintenance...not changing his brake fluids..., so I thought a quick primer in Brake Fluids 101 was warranted.

First, I'll explain the differences between types of brake fluids and why you might consider one versus another.  Bear in mind whilst reading this that the WET boiling point is the one we should consider most strongly, as street bikes typically keep the same fluid in their systems long enough to approach that point.  Racers only consider the dry boiling point, as they typically change brake fluids multiple times annually, often between races....unless you race a bike with brake cables like me   Grin:

DOT 3 fluid is a polyethelene glycol-based brake fluid that is the "standard" for all modern braking systems.  It has good dry and wet boiling characteristics, with a specified minimum dry boiling point of 401°F and a minimum wet boiling point of 284°F

DOT 4 fluid is also glycol based, but typically has additives to reduce corrosion within the braking system due to the water that glycol based fluids naturally attract, as they are all hygroscopic in nature.  The minimum boiling points of DOT 4 fluid are higher than those of DOT 3, with a dry boiling point of 446°F and a wet boiling point of 311°F.  Ducati currently recommend DOT 4 brake fluid in all vehicles they manufacture.

DOT 5 brake fluid is SILICONE based and is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1 brake fluids, as silicone and glycol combined act to consume the braking system's seals!  DOT 5 fluids have higher minimum boiling points than DOT 3 or 4 fluids, at 500° dry and 356° wet, but extreme care must be taken if you decide to use this fluid.  Silicone brake fluids are NOT hygroscopic, but rather leach air, so care must be taken in bleeding such systems.  Silicone brake fluids also will not damage painted surfaces like glycol based fluids, so they are often chosen for use in vintage braking systems where appearance is paramount.  DOT 5 brake fluids should never be used in ABS equipped systems or in those that have previously been filled with a glycol based fluid!  DOT 5 brake fluids are typically dyed purple so as to distinguish them from other types.

DOT 5.1 brake fluid is, again, a glycol based fluid.  The use of the DOT 5.1 designation is confusing to some people, so it should be made plain that DOT 5.1 fluids are compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids, but are NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 5 brake fluid!  DOT 5.1 brake fluid has the highest minimum boiling points of any type, at 518°F and 374°F.  DOT 5.1 is a lighter viscosity glycol-based fluid with that was developed for use in ABS systems that need to cycle on and off quickly.

Bear in mind that these boiling points are specified minimums, and that several DOT 4 brake fluids exceed the boiling point requirements for DOT 5.1, but are still classified as DOT 4 due to other, primarily viscosity, specificaitons!

I recently stumbled across this comparison chart of several commercially available brake fluids and their characteristics:

From that chart, it seems that Castrol SRF is the best, but it's hard to find and four-times more expensive than the others.  It is, however, and used by every Formula 1 team in existence because it’s boiling point drops very little as it absorbs moisture.

The next best appears to be Motul RBF 600.  It is readily available, reasonably priced, and it has excellent boiling characteristics.  It purportedly tends to absorb water more quickly than the others so it seems to be best suited for racing applications where the fluid is changed very frequently.  I think I'll start using this in all of my bikes in lieu of the Castrol LMA I've used for the last ten years, as I change my brake fluids at least yearly and often twice yearly!

The thing that's interesting, however, is the obvious degradation of boiling point as the fluid absorbs water....so change that brake fluid, Boys and Girls!!

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: