Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 04:42:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M1100 Starting Issue  (Read 6189 times)
MonsterTom

« on: September 24, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »

I've seen this issue referred to by other threads, but I haven't actually been able to find a thread on this subject through the search function.

Anyway, I typically have a difficult time starting my M1100 if it's been sitting overnight or even the 9 hours while I'm at work.  My dealer told me that I should turn on the ignition, wait until the display goes through it's thing, and then open the throttle all the way for a second or two, release and then hit the starter button.  He also said that this procedure is outlined somewhere in the owners manual, but I can't seem to find it in mine.  It seemed like it might have been working at first, but I may have just been lucky.

It's beyond annoying at this point, I find myself fighting with the ignition / throttle / starter, meanwhile a coworker and friend of mine's 11 year old Harley starts right up every time! bang head  He doesn't mind rubbing it in either.  My Sport Classic 1000 started up every time no problem, and I'm starting to wonder if I should of kept it instead of trading for the Monster.

Anyway, what are other owners doing about this issue at this point if anything?
dennisd

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »

Before turning on the key the first time, twist the throttle to full throttle and let go, (my theory is twisting the throttle resets the TPS), turn on key, wait for the display to go though it's scrolling thing then hit the starter button.  If it doesn't start after a couple of revolutions of the engine (or if it fires then dies), shut off key.  Continued cranking most likely won't start the engine, it will only run down your battery and wear out your starter.  Wait a second or two, twist the throttle & release again, turn on key, wait again for the display to go through it's thing (I believe the ECM goes through a self check during this time) then try starting again.  Usually mine will start after the second try using this method (if it didn't start the first time).  I never saw anything in the owners manual about this.

Current: '14 M1200S; '09 BMW R1200GSA; '06 Harley Roadking; '02 Suzuki SV650N; all the others sold
Enzoman

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

I went through the same bs with mine. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and could not figure it out. I finally just had them put the racing ECU and termi kit in thinking maybe it was an ECU problem. I also asked them to put a new battery in with more cold cranking amps. I got the bike back and still had the problem but the more I rode it the better it got. I have about 3300 miles on it now and the issue has all but dissapeared. I would say 9 times out of 10 it will start right away but it does still happen from time to time. If it does I just reset the ignition and start over and it usually starts on the second try. My method for starting is just simply take up the slack in the throttle cable and hold slight pressure on the throttle while pushing the button. I don't know if it helps but it seems to do the trick. I got tired of making phone calls to the dealer and getting no answers for it. I even called Ducati NA and they never followed up with me. I was really dissapointed with the help I got. But I did get a good deal on the termi kit and the battery was free so they made up for it. I have just come to accept that this is the nature of the beast.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »

My theory is that stock these bikes are set to run just too damned lean - including at start-up.  Your dealer has no answer coz there isnt one (that they can give you anyway).  If you want to resolve these starting issues (and while you at it smooth away that low end lumpiness), a PCV can work wonders  waytogo.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Enzoman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:16:14 AM »

My theory is that stock these bikes are set to run just too damned lean - including at start-up.  Your dealer has no answer coz there isnt one (that they can give you anyway).  If you want to resolve these starting issues (and while you at it smooth away that low end lumpiness), a PCV can work wonders  waytogo.

Yeah I'm waiting for wasp works to not be sold out of everything and get the puk like you have.
rideawn

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »

Here's the last thread I was aware of:  http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=41428.0  .  I didn't post my final result because I was pretty p-o'd.  Still am, but trying to get over it.  After 2 weeks, dealer willing to help if I return my bike to stock form.  But bike is running fine, wtf?  "Has to be in stock form or 'approved' mods (DP ECU + Termi) for baseline troubleshooting."  What kind of BS is that, like Ducatisti don't mod bikes.  Dealer was pretty cool, but Duc North America wouldn't go out of there way and that's what p-o'd me. I think there is a "GM vanilla ice cream" root cause.  And when I figure out what it is, I'm going to charge them an 848 EVO for it.  My starting issues have become daily since the weather has cooled to mornings lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's here.  I still think vapor lock ecu reading combo something.   

Sacramento, CA
09 M1100
LoneStar

2012 CCS Atlantic & Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins Champ

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »

It's vapor lock.  Open and close the tank.  Start.  Then thank the Italians for giving your bike some soul and character flaws.

Works everytime for me.

2012 CCS Atlantic & Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion
2009 Ducati Monster 1100S (Longhorn Edition) [street]
2008 Ducati 848 [trak - CCS Amateur #134]
2005 Yamaha R1 [trak - Project Bike - looking for some BST's]
Lowhog

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »

Racing ECU solved the problem for me.  No more starting issues.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

I haven't had any problems since I flashed my ecu.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
jchurch

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »

I had this issue and it was really bad, in fact it sounded and ran terrible even when it did start for about the first 1000kms.

Anyways I had the guys from the Ducati store pick it up they took her away and they said they did 'nothing' except re-flash the parameters yet everything was fine after that, still does it occasionally but as someone mentioned above the more mileage i put on the more reliable this bike becomes.

I also have the racing ecu/termi kit installed and I use the method of placing key in waiting for full scroll until mileage is shown then press the ignition button. Ever since I have done that it helped much more as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:01:10 PM by jchurch » Logged

Current Bike:                              09 M1100

Previous Bike(s):                      02 M900I.E
                                                      04 Aprilia RS125
marty_il

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »

mine started to do this at around 300 miles. then, at about 1200 miles, after i went on a 200 mile day-ride, it started to behave a lot better. it seems to me that if i ride only short distances (less than 20 miles) the bike will have more starting problems. as soon as i go on a moderate length ride it will start more reliably.
BCMonster

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »

I have never had any problems with mine, however I seem to rememebr reading somewhere to NOT touch the throttle during start up. I turn the key on, wait for the system check and hit the key. I never touch the throttle.
mattc7

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »

during startup, the TPS is reset on these bikes, every time.

If you twist the throttle during startup, you get stuck with an improper TP setting in your ecu until you turn off/on again.

Becuase these ecus are "learning" they will adapt conditions slightly to the improper TP setting, making the next time even worse.
Eventually it will go back to normal with proper useage, and the changes are only slight

This is how it's been described to me.
BCMonster

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »

That was it!
rideawn

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »

Update and Breakthrough:  Highly abbreviated version of my last two years with this bike.  I've continued to pursue my dealer and Ducati for my starting issue since my 09 M1100 is a frequent offender.  My bike also began throwing an error code r.sw 0005 during the start failure and resulting ECU reset.  The tech from my dealer went to tech school recently.  Provided this engineering code to Ducati.  Recommendation was to replace the regulator/rectifier.  No improvement.   All other settings, adjustments, etc. have been checked and re-checked by the dealer. 

My dealer's Service Manager informed me last week Ducati responded to their recent inquiry for support on this issue and ACKNOWLEDGED the starting issue.  They also suggest the work around of turning the key off for 15 seconds and then attempt restart procedure.  Finally, they suggest stay tuned for further information.  We can only hope for a fix and those of us out of warranty some consideration for the time and expense we've endured troubleshooting this problem.       

Sacramento, CA
09 M1100
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: