Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monsta rebuild  (Read 107789 times)
monsta

Perth, Australia.

« on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »

Its been a long time coming, but the monsta rebuild is almost here!
Over the years I've been doing little mods to the ol girl, and I reckon I've got it pretty much where I want it. I've also collected a few engine bits..
I would like to have this done by November because the local Ducati owners club is having it bi-anual italian MC show and I'd like to enter..   waytogo
So, the next step is put these engine bits together. Then when that's done I'm gunna pull the bike to bits, cut off unwanted brackets from the frame and weld a few bits back on, then repaint it.
The Bike is a 93 900, the first monster! I've had the bike for about 15 years, bought it new in 95.  Although it still gets heaps of looks, its looking a bit ratty! the frame has battery acid marks and stone chips all over it and the tank ect. But you'd expect that after 90,000 klms
Anyhow, I thought I'd share it with DMF because it (the people here) has been a huge influence on the what I've done!

Heres the engine cases all masked up ready to go to the powder coaters.

I Bought the cases from ebay cheep because they were broken where the side stand bolts on. I got a guru mate to weld em up and I remachined it.

I then had to bore the cases so's the 984 barrel's would fit.
I also did a mod that's recomended by  Ducati Kämna ( http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/custinfo.htm )
In my engine, the under piston cooling oil jet, on the rear cylinder, gets blocked for 180 deg of rotation by the crank wheel, because the jet comes from the wrong side of the engine.
What I did was extend oil galleys through the cases so that the oil jet come from the other side of the engine.

this pic shows the new oil jet hole. Its come around the outside of the main bearing sleeve, you can see the hole where the sleeve fits in cases..

here's the 984 big bore kit..
I had the piston crowns ceramic coated and the skirts caoted with a low friction coating. The barrels were coated with a heat dispersing coating.

here's the heads, another ebay score..
I've had em ported and ceramic coated, aand had the heat dispersing coating put on them. I also cleaned up the casting around the fins above the belt on the front head before coating, some people might know the casting is messy in that area.. and also polished the ends of some of the cooling fins. You can also see the new Nichols head studs in the pic.

Here's a set of veetwo 210 cams. I work there as a machinist, so I get to make my own..   Grin
and because I made my own.. thats my name stamped on them!   Cool

I was going to put the heads together this w/end while the cases are out, but that hasn't happened!   Undecided

drink instead

93 M900 - 07 ST3 - 00 748s trackbike - 78 900SS - 13 848 EVO Corse SE
Raux
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:23:38 PM »

wow, just wow.

loving this build already.
Howley

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:18:27 AM »

Geoff, I'm pretty jealous mate. I looove those cams! This is going to be an awesome build, I can't wait to see more progress!
Markus

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:38 AM »

Holy smokes. This is gonna be a great thread. waytogo
popcorn

2000 M966Sie
2007 ST3s ABS
www.eastcoastducaticlub.com
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:20:10 AM »

drool
 popcorn

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:46:50 AM »

<bookmark>  chug

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »

Here's a set of veetwo 210 cams. I work there as a machinist, so I get to make my own..   Grin
and because I made my own.. thats my name stamped on them!   Cool

That is awesome!

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Raux
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »

ok going back on something

why did you have to bore the cases?

I thought all the aftermarket cylinders were bolt on.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »

ok going back on something

why did you have to bore the cases?

I thought all the aftermarket cylinders were bolt on.

904 is stock.
944 can be cut out of the stock barrel.
966 too...

984 kits, well...  The skirt portion of the cylinder barrel would have been too thin for the overbore so you can't use stock cylinder barrels.  Because of the increased bore, and now increased piston skirt...you have to bore the cases to receive the larger barrels.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Raux
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »

see this is why I ask those questions... so smart people will answer.
monsta

Perth, Australia.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »

That is awesome!
Valentino wont be the only Rossi going around on a desmo next year!   Grin

Raux.  you can see in that shot looking down the barrel that I've actually broken through into the cavity where a bolt that bolts the cases together lives..   also, look how close the dowel is to the edge of the bore.
If you wanted to go bigger capacity than 984 it would require a LOT more work...

Raux
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »

no kiddin that is close. i think you can see the black pin through the paper thin metal at that point  laughingdp

so the 1000 cases are a lot different than the 900 cases. cause i've seen kits up to 102mm for them

btw. i know you are going up in capacity, but how about going more oversquare with a shorter stroke?

you could go to a 66mm stroke and get the 955cc

a bore stroke ratio of 1.45 closer to the 1198 ratio.

MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »

FYI -- 984's run VERY hot due to thin cylinder walls.  Needed two oil coolers to keep my Supersport w/FCR's from getting too hot with the fairings installed.  I was running a 984 in my DesmoDevil w/ST2 cams and FCR's without oil coolers and 100% synthetic.  Tens of thousands of miles on it over the years but it was very sensitive to the outside heat environment. (great engine to ride though in the cold!)  It's DOA now -- cylinders scored, broken piston rings, piston damage from detonation and bearings "cooked". New engine transplant upcoming is less "hooligan"...

monsta

Perth, Australia.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »

btw. i know you are going up in capacity, but how about going more oversquare with a shorter stroke?
you could go to a 66mm stroke and get the 955cc
a bore stroke ratio of 1.45 closer to the 1198 ratio.
yeah, there's a few other things I would've like to do, but it also comes down to time and money.. where do  ya stop? Smiley

FYI -- 984's run VERY hot due to thin cylinder walls.  Needed two oil coolers to keep my Supersport w/FCR's from getting too hot with the fairings installed.  I was running a 984 in my DesmoDevil w/ST2 cams and FCR's without oil coolers and 100% synthetic.  Tens of thousands of miles on it over the years but it was very sensitive to the outside heat environment. (great engine to ride though in the cold!)  It's DOA now -- cylinders scored, broken piston rings, piston damage from detonation and bearings "cooked". New engine transplant upcoming is less "hooligan"...

Thanks for the info.  waytogo  I probably wouldn't have gone down this path if the 984 kit didn't come upon ebay a few years ago!
I knew it'd get hotter, thats why I wanted to do the piston cooling mod, and also why I got everything ceramic coated (including exhaust ports), so it'd absorb less heat. And the heat dispersing coating...
I was hopeing not to have to run another oil cooler.. more clutter! but it does get hot here in Perth, so that wont help either! I'll just have to see what happens and keep an eye on it. 

This is the first time I've done anything like this, tho, I do know a few knowledgeable people (veetwo dosn't do this stuff anymore)

Any advise, info or suggestions are much appreciated!   waytogo

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »

Go Monsta!
Full support from down here in Victoria!
 applause popcorn

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: