Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 03:54:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Monster 696 Alternator  (Read 3481 times)
Rizzo

« on: August 30, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »

Anyone had problems with their alternator going out?

I'm 12 hours away from a dealership so I am trying to diagnose the problem myself.

The motorcycle shop here is terrible - they put in a new battery because the old one was dead. Fair enough I figured they had tested it to make sure it was bad.

Now they put in a new one and it died within 4 days of being installed. So i figure they didn't charge it before they put it in. I ride it on short trips so I was thinking it wasn't getting enough charge.

So I give it a full charge and it lasts a week and dies again.

If it is an alternator how hard is that to replace? I know I should take it to a dealership but that isn't an option and the motorcycle shop has proven how terrible they are already so I'm not inclined to let them work on my bike anymore.

I tried a test a buddy recommended starting the bike off the battery and pulling the positive cable to see if it will run without it - that didn't work.

I also need to take it on a ride in a week that's 350 miles - anyone think I can make that on a full charge without the alternator working?

Thanks,

Nice bike man.

Yeah, it eats babies.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »

Though a bad alternator is possible it is unlikely.  First check the fuses.  There is a 30 amp fuse going to the voltage regulator, probably under the seat, I'm not sure on the 696.  Fuses and cleaning connections are cheap.  Stators and voltage regulators are not.  Changing parts on a guess is not good either.  I suggest you find a dealer you can trust.  By the way, your buddy might have cost you a voltage regulator.

If you insist on DIY on a new, warrantied bike,  http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center/fault-finding-guide
Raux
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »

warranty?
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »

Warranty.  Its not 2011 yet.

Have you tried checking the main ground connection is good and tight?  Its located under the plastic cable cover down by the left side of the front cylinder on the leading egde of the crankcase.... 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: