Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:14:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unleveled Coffin reservoirs and Possible clutch slip issue.  (Read 1857 times)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« on: August 29, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »

3300 miles on the bike. I put 2k of them on it.

Taking the bike out for a ride today I step into first gear, ease the clutch out as I always have and INSTANTLY noticed something was different. The clutch was not fully engaging. With my hand completely off the clutch lever in first gear putting down the road if I got on the throttle it was completely obvious. the engine would increase in RPM and my speed would barely change.

The bike was not fully warm and had been running for maybe 2 minutes prior to riding it. Had been ridden the day before on the highway for 2 hours. Air temp was 90F so I wasn't worried about being fully warm.

Strangest part, is after the bike was fully warm and I was at my destination I shut it down and finished my errand. Came back out started it up (Still fully warm from previous ride) and the clutch was no longer slipping. In fact, a few minutes into the ride the slipping slowly went away.

The clip-ons I installed about 2 months ago have my reservoirs sitting pitched a bit. Like this looking at them from the front of the bike.   /     \

Heres pics

Could it have been related to the bike not being fully warm? I have ridden once before when not totally warm and there was no slipping.

I'm not sure what would cause this issue but It's making me nervous, not only is it dangerous but it could become very expensive.

Is this thing on?
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

Sounds like maybe the freeplay at the (aftermarket) lever is inadequate.  How long have had the levers on?  Usually that problem manifests itself at hot temps, and yours is the opposite, but I'd still verify that lever freeplay.

Your clutch should work well cold/hot.  Angle of the reservoirs should not be an issue provided the fluid level is correct.

BK
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

Sounds like maybe the freeplay at the (aftermarket) lever is inadequate.  How long have had the levers on?  Usually that problem manifests itself at hot temps, and yours is the opposite, but I'd still verify that lever freeplay.

Your clutch should work well cold/hot.  Angle of the reservoirs should not be an issue provided the fluid level is correct.

BK

I agree with everything. Levers have been on for at least 500 miles, they were installed on 7/19/10.

How can I go about checking lever freeplay?

Is this thing on?
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »

Someone else can confirm, but I think the freeplay spec is something like 1.2mm.

Watch the plunger between the lever and the MC while you slowly pull the lever...you don't want to feel the clutch engage until the plunger has travelled the spec.  On my CRG levers adjustment is made with an allen key on a threaded brass piece that interfaces with the plunger on the lever side.

Also, make sure your reservoir is not overfilled.  You need to have some headspace over the fluid to prevent pressure buildup.

BK
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »

1.5 - 2 mm.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »

Thanks a ton  waytogo

Ride this morning had no slipping at all, strange, it seems to have been a one time thing.

I'm going to check free play and reservoir levels tonight.

Is this thing on?
devimau

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:19 AM »

make sure the lever doesn't get stuck on the switch!
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »

I will say the unlevel reservoirs are likely NOT the problem, my M750 looks like that and has no problems like you mention ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: