Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 01:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mikuni carb for dummies  (Read 21716 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »

alright.... clean service record from tom hull ducati in az...   150 mains 40 pilot... set on 1st clip with a 2mm plastic washer..... floats are at 11mm(i think it's too high)..... anyone know how to figure float setting for my configuration with partially cored exhaust...

You changed the needle jets yet?

Is that clip position #1 the notch on the top of the needle or the bottom? (Generally count from the top). Do the needles have hardly any taper or do they taper off at the end quite a bit? Stock needles barely have any taper.
The 2mm plastic washer (white) is stock and an essential part of the kit whether you run stock or aftermarket jet kits.
40 pilot is standard or close to. Stock main jets are usually 140s. The needles stock clip position is usually closer to the middle.

You either have a DJ or FP jet kit in there or the main jets were enlarged, possibly to accommodate the exhaust changes. If the needles are set on the bottom clip position (raised to the max) and especially if they are aftermarket then your midrange will be way too rich, exacerbating any richness caused by worn needle jets.

If the needle jets are a brass color then they are probably worn. Check em for ovalness as per the FP site tips.If they are are stainless color (FP ones) they will most likely be fine. Any pictures of the carb parts?
Sometimes people adjust the float levels to compensate for another problem. I would rather fix that problem and run the recommended 14mm float level. An 11mm float level is way too rich also, making low speed carburation very lumpy. Set em at 14mm and leave it (Factory Pro site has some how to/guidelines as does Ducati Suite site). Trying to fine tune the float to fix other issues can drive you crazy.

Sorry about the great rant in my PM advice. Trying to save you alot of hassle.

It's great the bike has a clean service record.

Keep posting to let us know your progress.

Cheers

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
organ donor

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »

EUREKA!!!!
 bow down>greenmonster!
 bow down>koko!

finally got it fingered out,  the floats were so high because the retard mechanic who worked on it before didn't see the massive vacuum leak.  he was compensating by dumping extra fuel into the bowls.
set the floats to 14mm and she runs like a champ now.....  still have to re-adjust a bit so it'll idle correctly but i did get to ride it today... pulled plugs after my run and they're like new.  gonna put the fuel pump back on tomorrow......   you guys are the best.  guess i'll be seeing you guys in the mods area soon. [moto]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:47:37 PM by organ donor » Logged

'94 Monster 900
'92 Katana 600+
organ donor

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »

oh yes and btw
the needles are set on the first clip (nearest the blunt end) and all associated pieces look shiny and new with no signs of wear.

'94 Monster 900
'92 Katana 600+
greenmonster

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »

waytogo

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »

oh yes and btw
the needles are set on the first clip (nearest the blunt end) and all associated pieces look shiny and new with no signs of wear.

That's great. Plenty of reason for your bear to dance!

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: