Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:05:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 97 M900 - NOT STARTING  (Read 8145 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »

Sounds like those broken wires may have cut in and out possibly causing a voltage spike or shorted to the frame or both at different times. Howie and Speeddog will know more. Loose cables cutting in and out and harsh jump starting off a running pick up truck or car can fry components too.

With the bike running check voltage at battery is between 13.5-14.5 V with your meter. As you rev the bike the Voltage should rise to 14ish Volts from 13ish from idle. A bad reg could choke voltage starving the battery and ignition or let too much through cooking components.

OEM needle jets/emulsion tubes can wear oval in short time causing excessively rich mixtures in low throttle/rpm and lumpy running in as much as 5000 miles. Don't get the soft bronze oem needle jets, instead get the shiny nickel coated/hardened ones from Factory Pro. Iirc they were once hardened stainless, but I think they are coated now. If they were recently replaced then you are ok. If they are ovaled out, the combo of Ignitech advance curve, your excellent CCW Exactfit coils and new needle jets should help smooth things nicely.

If your airbox is open and jetting not adjusted to suit (jet kit), then the bike can run like crap from midrange up.

Let us know how you go waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »

A faulty ground is what generally cooks ignition modules. It can also cause charging issues.

There is a ground wire under the battery box, one at the R/R, and probably most important there is a heavy strap that runs from the cases to behind the r/h footpeg bracket.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

There is also a ground wire from the ignition modules.  I don't know just where the ground is, but for that ground going from the connector at the module to battery negative is sufficient.  For the Nate is referring to voltage drop while cranking is the way to go.  Yes, you could just clean them, but you will not know if they were a problem.  Though robust (originals still working on the 750 I had with well over 80,000 miles on it), they are easily damaged by bad connections and ground.  The fact that both went south leads me to believe you have a problem in that area.
greenmonster

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 03:24:24 AM »

Did you check wiring around steering stem?
A well known place f causing shorts.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
greenohawk69

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »

A faulty ground is what generally cooks ignition modules. It can also cause charging issues.

There is a ground wire under the battery box, one at the R/R, and probably most important there is a heavy strap that runs from the cases to behind the r/h footpeg bracket.
Grounds are good - part of connections that I've checked 3x. Bought new, heavy duty battery cables (OEM were in poor shape) and it grounds to engine case. Sanded and cleaned connection. Bike did not start initially when I moved back, fixed bike and was ready to roll. The heavy duty cables - first push on start button and it ran.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
greenohawk69

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »

Did you check wiring around steering stem?
A well known place f causing shorts.
Where my issue was after bike had been running and I was doing some tuning after cleaning carbs - gas had gelled around jets.

Fixed those wires - no fuses popping after this fix.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
greenohawk69

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »

Here are the 3 grounds:  R/R, under battery box and - battery post to engine case. Battery cables were replaced with new heavy duty cables.

greenohawk69

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »

Wiring around steering stem - fixed broken wires and shortened others and re-wrapped with electrical tape.

Plus wiring for ignition modules. Outside non-rubber sheathing looks bad near connections, but did not see any broken wires. Wire inside connector looks good.

greenohawk69

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

Battery was ~ 12.91V with the mutlimeter and was ~ 14.05V running.

Checked Ignitech map, showed base advance as 10*, vs. 6* I've seen in threads.

First map - better running, but smoke from right exhaust (looking from rear).

Anyone have a map for a 97 M900 with Sil Moto CF slipons and an open top airbox with K&N filter? Smiley

greenohawk69

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »

Second map...ran better, no smoke from right exhaust and was good on short ride. Decel pop seems > it should. I probably need a new jet kit, etc.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »

Sorry, but all my maps are for high comp bikes. Other forum members should have some good maps for stock compression and your fuel.

With stock low comp you can try hitting max advance earlier maybe at 5-6k as long as the map is smooth and gradual down low. You can play with the timing under 5k to get that balance between smoothness and response. You can also run low comp timing a little steeper as long as it doesn't ping and tolerates your fuel choice.
I have a very gentle curve from 2-3k to remove snatchy response and chugging (helps especially with a light flywheel). A slightly leaner pilot jet helps too, but it depends on the nature of your local fuel.

Does it already have a jet kit? If not, it does need a "stage 2" Dynojet kit to be able to rev out with the open airbox.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:04:54 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenohawk69

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »

Not sure on jet kit. Bike was modified when I bought it. Seemed to run well at the time, and had belts replaced and shims checked by AMS in Dallas.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »

Probably jetted ok if it can rev out and not choke with an open airbox. Worth checking on a rainy day.
The Ignitech is pretty cool eh! I like how you can measure rpm, dwell, voltage, etc in real time and see the map graphed out. Shift light and rev limiter can be set to your taste. Advance can be set according to fuel availability too as well as compression/cam/cam timing changes. Have you noticed how much smoother the bike is down low? The Kokousan has a crude angled step and some have said this contributes to lumpy, snatchy low rpm operation and I believe them.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenohawk69

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »

It is a pretty neat unit, even though I don't understand all of the info. I like the advance map and how you can make changes - the RPM is nice to see and mine is a tad high right now.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: