Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 07, 2024, 05:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 clip-ons Woodcraft, install details w/ lots of pics!  (Read 51430 times)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »

Edit*

Special thanks to ungeheuer for providing a bunch of useful tips and pointers for this install. I probably pm'd him a hundred times.   chug

OK, below are the photos after the install taken at night with a shitty camera I'll get better ones up during the day time.

For anyone looking to do this mod on their 696/1100 with the kit I pieced together I'll give a brief overview of the details.
Parts purchased
speedymoto top triple, Woodcraft 3" rise clipons, coffin reservoir spacers (not needed on 1100)

With these three items there is absolutely NO fabrication or modification necessary to complete the install (*necessary to use spacers to point the headlight at the correct height). It is essentially a bolt on install that can be completed with basic hand tools. I can only assume that with a stock top triple the install would be even easier not requiring any modification at all. However the stock triple had the headlight mounted about 1/2" higher and IMHO the speedymoto piece is pure sex.

My steering stops were lengthened by 1 full turn from stock which is a negligible adjustment, I couldn't tell the difference.  
The sweepback pictured is the maximum I can obtain without sacrificing any more than 1 turn of the steering stops and with the clipons mounted at the highest point.
The headlight bolted right back on and had no issuses with contacting the bars as pictured.
Hand position is about 2.5" lower than the stock bar height at the highest position. On the 45 minute ride I took yesterday I found the riding position to be extremely comfortable (I am 5' 8"). The sweep and height is perfect for me and takes pressure off my wrists.

Let me know if you have any questions about the install.
The pictures seem to greatly exaggerate the height of the gauge pod. In person the angle of the bars match that of the pod and create a nice uniform look to the front of the bike. I prefer it to lowering the unit.

bad photo...(iz took this)

In order to point the headlight properly you will need to extend the spacer on the lower portion of the headlight.
Needed:
2x threaded coupler 8x1.0
2x threaded rod 8x1.0
Thread the end with the extension into the headlight.
end result is this:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:08:59 PM by Veloce-Fino » Logged

Is this thing on?
moto

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

The side mount Speedymoto clip-ons are difficult to fit on bikes with wide tanks--as it does limit the steering lock to lock.
We use front mounts in most cases to eliminate that problem. It is only on bikes that have protrudung ears on the triple clamp where a front mount would otherwise mount up- that require the use of a side mount clip-on.

-M

www.motowheels.com

96 M944
98 900SS FE
01 996R
02 MV Agusta F4 750
05 999R
06 SC1000
07 1098
08 M696
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »

The side mount Speedymoto clip-ons are difficult to fit on bikes with wide tanks--as it does limit the steering lock to lock.
We use front mounts in most cases to eliminate that problem. It is only on bikes that have protrudung ears on the triple clamp where a front mount would otherwise mount up- that require the use of a side mount clip-on.

-M

So on the 696 which has a very wide tank I would benefit more from the front mount style woodcraft clipons. They would allow the most problem free install and greatest turning radius compared to the side mount tallboys.

I know it's a fairly large undertaking involving lowering the headlight unit and bumping it out in order to allow for breathing room for the clipons. I'm just trying to figure out which will work best.

Keeping the stock triple will probably complicate the install. Being thicker than the speedymoto top triple it pushes the clipons down a bit. Decisions Decisions...

Is this thing on?
Raux
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »

I have a set of Ducati Performance Clips with a rise that will fit as well. they are made for the Sport 1000.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=39206.msg696686#msg696686
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:28:06 AM »

Alrighty.... I have zero experience with Woodcraft.  But you've done your homework and already know that I've tried both Speedymoto Tallboys (on M696) and Swatts (both 2.5" and 3.5" rise) on M1100.   For the purpose of clipons M696 and M1100 are the same thing.  Here's my thoughts on your thoughts:

So on the 696 which has a very wide tank I would benefit more from the front mount style woodcraft clipons. They would allow the most problem free install and greatest turning radius compared to the side mount tallboys.
I think on M696 this would be a true statement.  Front(ish)  mount better than side mount for sure.

Keeping the stock triple will probably complicate the install. Being thicker than the speedymoto top triple it pushes the clipons down a bit.
Also true.  I believe its a much less hasslesome venture if you replace the stock top triple with Speedymoto's offering.

I know it's a fairly large undertaking involving lowering the headlight unit and bumping it out in order to allow for breathing room for the clipons.
Not such a large job really, once you commit to the Speedymoto top triple the slight but necessary repositioning of the headlight assembly is pretty straightforward.

IMHO I'd avoid Speedymoto's Tallboys for your M696 application, although they are indeed cool to behold and beautifully made.

Now that Swatt is no more, if I was in your position I'd go for the Woodcraft 3".....  but you might wanna give some thought to Raux's DP sport 1000 clipons.......  (Disclaimer: I have no experience with those clipons either, I just think they look nice and being front mount should, maybe, kinda work out alright too).  How much rise do they offer Raux?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:43:05 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Raux
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »

2.5 inches from the top of the ring to the bottom of the bar.

also, i bet these would fit the stock triple if you dont want to jump into a new triple right away.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:37:42 AM by Raux » Logged
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:21:40 AM »

Off to work, will do some more digging after I get home. I am definitely considering Raux's DP clipons.

If I were to get the new Woodcraft's drilling a hole for controls is fairly simple correct? Just make sure the controls are squared up the way you want.

Is this thing on?
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:35:52 AM »

If I were to get the new Woodcraft's drilling a hole for controls is fairly simple correct? Just make sure the controls are squared up the way you want.
Yup. Same whatever clipons you go for mate.  Measure many times, drill just once  waytogo

If you decide to replace your top triple take extreme care not to damage the steering lock mechanism (ask me how I know).  PM me if you're going this route.

Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »

Decided to go with the woodcrafts just because they have a black anodized bracket.  Grin

Waiting on the Top triple, speedymoto expects them to be in stock around mid next week through motowheels.

It's all falling together!!! Now I need to buy the spacers through monsterparts and hope that the install goes well.

The most difficult part appears to be fabricating the little brackets to lower the headlight. Other than that it's a fairly straightforward install.

Is this thing on?
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »

The most difficult part appears to be fabricating the little brackets to lower the headlight. Other than that it's a fairly straightforward install.
You dont need to make a bracket to lower the headlight.  When you get your Speedy top triple you'll see that  the headlight mounting points force the headlight to be slightly lower and slightly further forward than stock (we're talking.... 5mm?... cant remember but its not much).... 

caperix

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »

How tall are the fork clamps on the woodcraft clipons?  I am thinking about using them above the tripple on my SBK fork conversion, want to try to get an idea if they will fit
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 04:40:36 AM »

guess who's bike is in the top picture? Grin
BGB

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
Raux
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 05:23:27 AM »

How tall are the fork clamps on the woodcraft clipons?  I am thinking about using them above the tripple on my SBK fork conversion, want to try to get an idea if they will fit

hopefully my set will be here early this week and I'll measure them for you, if no one has answered before.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07:07 AM »

guess who's bike is in the top picture? Grin
BGB

Haha, you're a real celeb!!!

hopefully my set will be here early this week and I'll measure them for you, if no one has answered before.

Which height did you do with? The way I see it get the tallest set 3" you can always lower them but you can't raise a 2" as high.

Assuming you ordered directly from woodcraft how long from order to your estimated delivery? Hopefully not weeks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:47:21 PM by Veloce-Fino » Logged

Is this thing on?
DoWorkSon

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

I just ordered the woodcraft's with a 2.5" rise for my bike now that I have to go up to 53mm(1098 fork upgrade!!)..... If all goes well, my bike should be back together next weekend with some pics with them on

2003 BMW R1150GS- The commuter
2009 M696--SOLD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: