Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 12:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil temp sensor  (Read 5707 times)
gregrnel

« on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

So I've been running with what I believe to be a goofy sensor over the past week. I've tried contact sprays, wiggling, jiggling, blowing compressed air, etc. etc. What it comes down to is I'll get LO for the 1st 5 minutes of a ride, then ---, then about 10 minutes after it's warmed up, some fluctuating readings usually below 200 F, which I know is too low. Does this look like a bad sensor or connection? Also, besides the obvious chance overheating without knowing, is there anything wrong with running with a bad sensor? Any cost estimated on this part?   Thanks!   2003 620ie 9300 miles.

2003 620ie red, cored stock pipes, Hit -Air jacket, nice deriere.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »

First off, this sensor is the one below the clutch cover on the right side of the bike.  The one by the oil fill is the pressure sensor.  Just for clarification in case anyone reading this was unsure.

I've seen the sensors do that when they're on the way out.  It's just a (somewhat crudely calibrated) thermistor and as it breaks down inside (as all things made by humans will do eventually...), it does give out signals similar to what you're experiencing.

I don't know a price on one of these new from Ducati....

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
hackers2r

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:40 PM »

I had the same issue a while ago.  Messed around with the connection (cleaning the sensor attachment and wire and making sure everything was tight) and it works perfectly.
djrashonal

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »

First off, this sensor is the one below the clutch cover on the right side of the bike.  The one by the oil fill is the pressure sensor.  Just for clarification in case anyone reading this was unsure.

I've seen the sensors do that when they're on the way out.  It's just a (somewhat crudely calibrated) thermistor and as it breaks down inside (as all things made by humans will do eventually...), it does give out signals similar to what you're experiencing.

I don't know a price on one of these new from Ducati....

Hey Stu,
is this the same as the Oil Pressure switch? if so I was told this is the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370093171301&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

pretty cheap and works like a charm  waytogo

If not then I'm sorry i spammed the thread  Shocked

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
gregrnel

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

Are these the same?? One is for temp and one is for pressure?Huh? I am what they say in Iowa, cornfused Huh?

hackers2r

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

No, that is not the same.  That is the sensor by the oil fill cap. 
djrashonal

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »

Sorry, I just noticed pressure vs temp  Embarrassed

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
gregrnel

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »

Okay, so everything I've read about the oil temp sensor stated it's on the right side (clutch cover). Well, I've actually been messing with the oil pressure sensor. So, after an email to my local Duc shop, everything became clear, and I cleaned, sprayed and crimped the correct sensor under the sight glass, the one I never noticed. And voila! My oil temp is back to normal. [moto]

hackers2r

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Yeah...thought it sounded strangely familiar.  Good to hear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: