Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 03:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What ever happened to people being real "neighbors"  (Read 19957 times)
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« on: May 13, 2010, 05:21:02 AM »

I am one of the younger ones around here, I turn 30 in July.

But I remember growing up how close everyone in my neighborhood was. Everyone waved. Everyone helped each other out if they needed it, etc.

There was a sense of community on my street. The kids would all play together, the Dad's would help each other with a home improvement project or whatever it may have been.

Fast forward to my adult years and have been living in a condo I bought in 2004.

Barely anyone waves at each other. The people I live next door to are make the beast with two backsing pregnant doges. It is this mother and daughter. I always say hi to them and all I get back is a dirty look. My wife and I are good people, we are good neighbors, etc.

My neighbor two doors down is a little older than me and we've become good friends. When he moved in (he rents), the bathroom needed a new light / fan combo. So he asked to help and I ended up installing it for him. Took about 3 hours, but we had some beers, didn't electrocute ourselves and he learned how to install a basic light.

My neighbor across the street used to be a contractor, so he is handy.

A few years ago I asked him if he could help me install two new toilets in my house, as I've never done it before. I read all about it, but still wanted a professional to make sure everything was done properly and seated. I did all the work and he charged me make the beast with two backsing 150$ for 20 minutes of work. Seriously?

I went over to him this weekend and asked if he could cut a piece of wood for me. We had some recent work done and I needed a precision straight cut on a 12in wide board. I don't have a chop box / miter box, so I would have had to use a hand saw or my jigsaw. I ask if he can do it and then wants 20$ for it.

Are you make the beast with two backsing serious?

I ended up cutting it with my jigsaw and it came out just fine. Why would he even ask for money?

Has anyone else noticed that over the years, neighbors aren't what they used to be. If your neighbor came over with a measuring cup and needed some flour or sugar because they ran out, you would gladly help them. I think if you did that now, mine would be like WTF?

I just miss the sense of community and feeling of a neighborhood where everyone watches out for one another.

Maybe it is just where I live or people don't like me because of my loud motorcycles.

Who knows.

///rant off.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »

I am one of the younger ones around here, I turn 30 in July.

Fast forward to my adult years and have been living in a condo

as anyone else noticed that over the years, neighbors aren't what they used to be. If your neighbor came over with a measuring cup and needed some flour or sugar because they ran out, you would gladly help them. I think if you did that now, mine would be like WTF?

I just miss the sense of community and feeling of a neighborhood where everyone watches out for one another.

Maybe it is just where I live...

Who knows.

///rant off.

highlighted.....condo's are a whole different type of person in terms of space and living...it isn't like living in a house as far as a sense of community and neighborhood IMHO...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Oldfisti
Some call it a sub, dagwood, hoagie or footlong. I just call it my...

My mom says I'm a catch.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:33:52 AM »

I've got a cup of sugar for you...

That will be 12 bucks.

P.S.  It sounds like your neighborhood sucks.

Thankfully my current neighbors are like the ones you remember.    waytogo

It's like I keep saying:  Those who would sacrifice a free range session for a giant beer, deserve neither free range time nor a giant beer.
i have had guys reach back and grab my crotch in an attempt to get around me. i'll either blow in their ear or ask them politely to let go of my wang.
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:35:14 AM »

Devo - Beautiful World (Live)

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:30 AM »

highlighted.....condo's are a whole different type of person in terms of space and living...it isn't like living in a house as far as a sense of community and neighborhood IMHO...

+1 Totally agree.  Different mindset in different environments.

VisceralReaction

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:20 AM »

Yeah I agree too. It's the condo living. I live in a small town in north Idaho and it's the same way you remember it.
Everyone waves, everyone borrows tools from each other. Helps moving shit, fixing cars, showing off new guns, coming over for dinner. That's why I'm still here  waytogo I could make more elsewhere but why give up the quality of life?

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »

I live in a condo and on my floor we are all friendly.  We have hall parties, borrow food, beer, and rides to the airport. 
metallimonster

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »

Jud,

I live basically exactly opposite from you in Westerville and my neighborhood is exactly opposite too.  Everyone is nice, I've helped and had help working on cars, houses, shoveling snow whathave you.  There are gangs of kids and people always walking their dogs.  Even the cops are cool and don't harass people who live in the neighborhood with speeding and such.

It must be the condo situation or maybe all of the stuck up people in Dublin.  Grin

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:00:32 AM »

WOW... $20 to make a cut for you is dirty.  The guy is a scumbag.  So much for Midwest friendliness.  

My neighbor rant:

I have a neighbor that is a "contractor" that has been out of work forever.  He sits at home all day and plays his radio too loud.  I have never said a word.  

I had a boat parked in my driveway that he didn't like looking at.  One day he moved it on my side yard so it wasn't next to his house.  I went to go look at it and the motor was hanging off the back of the boat strapped on with a tiedown.  When he was backing it in he snapped the motor mount and strapped it on so I wouldn't notice.  

When I found out it was broken I walked over and asked him about it.  He said that he thought he was doing me a favor by moving it.  I asked him if he noticed that he broke the outboard while he was moving it and he said "NO".  
"So you are telling me the motor just broke off while sitting there and you strapped it back up there for me?"  
"Yeah, I packed it up all nice for you, but I didn't break it".  
"Ralph, you are the only one who touched it"
"Well I don't know what to tell you, I didn't do it"

He then proceeded to tell me that I needed to clean up the sticks in my yard that had fallen from a tree. He didn't like looking at them.  I laughed and said "No, I like looking at them" then walked away.  

That make the beast with two backser came on my property and broke my shit then had the audacity to lie about it...

So much for being a good neighbor.  We just had 10 windows replaced... he DIDN'T get the job.  He sat on his porch as another contractor made $$$
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:02:55 AM by Vindingo » Logged
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »

Jud,

I live basically exactly opposite from you in Westerville and my neighborhood is exactly opposite too.  Everyone is nice, I've helped and had help working on cars, houses, shoveling snow whathave you.  There are gangs of kids and people always walking their dogs.  Even the cops are cool and don't harass people who live in the neighborhood with speeding and such.

It must be the condo situation or maybe all of the stuck up people in Dublin.  Grin

I think you guys are right about the condo living, but I would think that would be a sense of community too.

We all live rather close, our driveways are close together, etc.

and Jay (metallimonster) probably brought up the biggest thing..........where I live.

I live in a ritzy bullshit community where property taxes are high and people are house poor and all drive 50k Honda Minivans and husband drives a BMW. Most are well extended beyond their means.

I live in a condo built in 1983, so to get a sense of the sort of place I live.

I'd love to sell my condo and buy a home, but I like the area I live in, but can't afford a house and pretty much refuse to live here for a number of reasons (i.e. you aren't allowed to have a fence).

I've got a cup of sugar for you...

That will be 12 bucks.

dick!

WOW... $20 to make a cut for you is dirty.  The guy is a scumbag.  So much for Midwest friendliness. 

That's what I said!!!!!!

make the beast with two backs it, I am going to go buy a Kolbalt Miter sliding saw tonight.

Just had to swing by the Post Office to get a Change of Address packet because there is a 10% off Lowe's Coupon  waytogo

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
Triple J
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 06:03:40 AM »

+1

Maybe they're just pissed they live in Ohio?  Grin
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »

My neighborhood in NY sucks ape balls..it was once a nice block and a nice town...

then it became a "destination community" in the late 1980's and especially after 9/11 when people dumped their brownstones and fled out here...we used to have 2 topless joints and a dozen shot-and-beer joints in town

the only time you see kids now is when they are coming or going to the car to their "planned activities"   kids don't hang out and just play like they used to

I am the last person on the street who still cuts his own lawn...they all are chopping down the old trees...it is turning into Queens NY...they sneer at me because I am not in the game, own my house and don't give a shit to join the golf-yacht-country or tennis clubs

I hate the northeast or more accurately the NY area, I hate the attitudes up here, I hate the make the beast with two backsing miserable unhappy sneering "I've arrived" self-entitled self-important douche bags riding up on your ass in a fake Hummer on a side street because they have to get little Mikey to soccer and their nail appointment ran late or they lost track of time at the gym...

or when they size you up at a check-out and try to cut in line in front of you explaining they are in a hurry...to which I usually scream...I am older than you and will die sooner,,, make the beast with two backs your hurry

they are all about saving make the beast with two backsing Darfur but they won't lift a finger to help the old widow next door shovel her walk when it snows

Move down south to a non-migratory town...at least people are polite and have some semblance of manners or they just bother to pretend to....there are still humans on the planet but they are getting harder to find...I think they are pretty much extinct in large urban areas

God please get me back to Asheville for good...my neighborhood there is just that...a neighborhood...we throw a couple BBQ picnics a year, people drop by and just hang out on the porch

they see us digging a trench for a new sewer hook up and they come over and ask for a shovel to help...makes you want to weep with joy that real people still exist

This is an insult to the Pez community
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 06:29:26 AM »

Not many complaints here. I do have some oldies that pregnant dog about just about everything, but they are generally ignored. My neighbors usually help or at least have valid excuses not to, one guy's back is shot. I wave at most neighbors, even the annoying ones, and they generally wave back or at least smile.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »

When we bought our house, the house next door was a big part of the reason we picked the one we did. You know, the one painted a vivid chartreuse with favorite quotes painted on it in lavender (every morning as I'm making coffee, I read out the window "Ever notice that 'what the hell' is usually the right decision?"), with an opulent garden of native plants & full bird feeders that draw lots of seed-eaters and the raptors that prey on them. The neighborhood is weird, diverse and friendly -- in no small measure thanks to our neighbors Tom & Johanna.

We have monthly neighborhood potluck dinners in the park at the end of our street and are planning a block party for later this year. Everybody waves, and we share tools & expertise pretty freely -- though now that you mention it, a couple of my hand tools appear to have taken up a new residence. Our Monster lives in our garage, but the ST2 is parked across the street in a neighbor's garage -- he saw me pulling the cover over it out in our fenced back yard and offered to move his Kawasaki over to make room so i could store mine indoors. When our rainwater storage ran out last summer, Johanna gave us water out of her tanks (giving away water in Arizona?!?!?!) for the garden.

Tom was recently diagnosed with advanced esophageal cancer and Johanna's pretty overwhelmed keeping track of his care, so the neighborhood has stepped in to help them out. People bring food over all the time, help them out with housework and Ann-Marie, our daughter and I have taken over walking their dog Sara most evenings. Because the neighborhood they've built isn't an accident, we've also tried to step in to do our part to keep the community going now that Tom & Johanna can't do that anymore.

And the irony of this is that ours is considered the "rough" neighborhood in our little town. It's kind of funny; I've lived in fairly tough neighborhoods in DC and NYC (and avoided the really sketchy ones at night) and our little 'hood is laughably tame by comparison -- mostly, on warm weekend nights you hear Mexican pop music & narcocorridos from the apartment building across the street -- music that invariably shuts down at 9:00 sharp. But it's hard to even find a real estate agent who will so much as show a house in our neighborhood. But I hear a lot of similar stories of isolation and lack of community from friends in some of the gated, HOA-patrolled (and after the real-estate bust, 1/3 empty) developments up the hill from us. Different choices.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:37:06 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 06:57:52 AM »

(actually I agree with the condo vs. house thing...condo neighbors are like apartment neighbors).

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: