Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to clean out a rusty gas tank, or clean anything with rust on it for CHEAP.  (Read 96977 times)
SaltLick
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:24:25 PM »

Forget about the expensive POR15 or Cream kits that run about $50.  I learned this while dealing with old hondas that had rusty tanks. One of the cheapest and best things to clean anything with rust on it is this:

Go to K-MART and buy two bottles of "The works" toilet bowl cleaner. $1.50 a bottle so thats a whopping $3.

Take your tank off your bike. Drain out your gas, pour both bottles of the toilet bowl cleaner in your tank. Every 5 minutes pick up your tank and slosh it around. After 30 minutes, pour that stuff out. Wash the inside out with dish soap and water. Rinse out multiple times with hot water.  Get a blow dryer and dry out your tank good, then fog it with WD-40 to keep it from flash rusting. Fill to the top with gas.

I have seen tanks from the 70's so rusty on the inside all you see is orange when you look in. After 30 minutes of the works cleaner it looks like bare metal brand new inside. This stuff also works for anything rusty, pour it in a pan and put your rusty part in.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:46:13 AM »

What keeps the rust from forming again?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SaltLick
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »

What keeps the rust from forming again?

if its a part or something else you just cleaned, i guess coating it with some oil. if its your gas tank, basically keeping it full of gas keeps it from rusting again.  I always just kept my gas tank full, or once i ran out of gas i just filled it back up. I didnt let it sit for too long on empty. The reason gas tanks get rusty inside is from sitting for along time with no gas in it, so as long as you keep gas in it your okay.
mmakay

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »

Great tip.   waytogo   As with any caustic cleaner, be sure to rinse VERY thoroughly.  It will continue to dissolve (slowly) any metal it is in contact with.

- Mickey
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »

It's probably got phosphoric acid in it which is # 1 for rust. It also leaves a coating (iron phosphate) after you rinse it off that'll prevent further rust.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:40:34 PM by brimo » Logged

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »

what if you've got an old Honda tank that someone used the JBweld type stuff to keep from leaking? 

Can i use this same process to clean/dry the tank if I'm going to cut and weld in a new section to fix the leak?

red baron

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

Plan on pinholes.

Make sure to use a tank liner when done.

Even factories phosphate of apply some type of coating to the inside.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
dbards

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:24:01 AM »

Thanks.  Worked great.  I decided to get my 78 Yamaha running again.  It had been sitting in the backyard for 15 years.  It had rust in the 80's and  I tried a liner in it which came loose from the rust.  The cap was rusted on.  I had to take the petcock off and pour thru that opening.  In about 15 min, I got the cap off.  Most of the rust was gone.  Step one in getting it up and running.
671M900

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »

Wanted to ad that water and some heavy molasses mixed in will kill rust fairly quickly, but will not keep it from forming again. I've used this trick on a few parts before painting them again.

The works is a good product, and I've successfully used evapo rust and Krud Kutter for Rust as well.

671ducati.wordpress.com Record of Progress!
Javi

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 07:38:53 PM »

7-year thread bump!

Is The Works still effective? Have they changed their formula since this thread was started? I'm over four hours into the soaking and shaking process, and while there has been some progress (about 20% of rust is gone I would say) at his rate this could take days. And the heavy deposits have barely budged. Any advice?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:11:23 AM »

7-year thread bump!

Is The Works still effective? Have they changed their formula since this thread was started? I'm over four hours into the soaking and shaking process, and while there has been some progress (about 20% of rust is gone I would say) at his rate this could take days. And the heavy deposits have barely budged. Any advice?
I don't think any of us could know if they changed anything.

I think it's going to take time.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Trackdog

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »

Evapo-Rust® is a non-toxic rust remover dip for restoring rusty treasures.https://evapo-rust.com/

Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?

The problem with motorcycles is their owners...E.C.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »

Evapo-Rust® is a non-toxic rust remover dip for restoring rusty treasures.https://evapo-rust.com/
...and it works. Just don't let it dry on the surface. You need to keep the entire surface wet the whole time.

perspective

Trackdog

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 06:13:37 AM »

The plan for me is to Caswell the tank this weekend to prevent the corrosion from returning.
First time Caswelling.
I removed most of the big stuff with a copper scouring pad. The tank is pitted. But filled with water and no leaks!
The vent line WAS plugged up with rust but I was able to open by inserting a wire.
I have a bunch of ugly pics a plan on posting along with finish pics.
I just received 5 gal of Evapor Rust. I going to fill the tank and let is sit 24hrs.
I am also ordering a new fuel pump and sensor, and be over cautious.
Note: you best have some thin long forearms and dexterity to get the fuel pump out. I dred the thought of reinstalling this thing.
The F-bombs will be flying!

Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?

The problem with motorcycles is their owners...E.C.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »

Use a little oil, grease, vaseline, rubber lube, wiener slider on the pump rubber.

Slides right in. Wink

perspective

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: