Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 19, 2024, 12:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to properly tie down/trailer a motorcycle  (Read 22688 times)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »

I purchased my 09 696 this past weekend and had to leave it at home when I went back to college Cry This coming weekend I will be driving all the way home to bring it back up. My father is bringing his jeep to help move some crap and he has a 6' flat trailer (for the dirtbikes/quad). I really do not know how to properly tie down a street bike. We don't really worry about the dirtbikes because they get dropped all the time Smiley However it would make me sick if my new bike fell over on the trailer or OMG vomit  fell out of the trailer (its only 5' wide) and exploded onto the highway at 80mph.

So how can I properly tie this sucker down? I have plenty of straps with the little winch buggers on em.

Thanks.

Is this thing on?
WetDuc
AKA iamhybris

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:55 PM »

Run tie down straps from the handlebars, clamp, triple and/or fork area, exactly where you use on the 696 is dependent a bit on where you are tying down, so use a low, strong place(one trailer base point on each of the handlebar sides) and make sure you are not pinching anything on the bike when you ratchet down on both sides.  I used the handle bars once and then used the triple clamp another time since it's kind of open on the 696.  With the bike straight upright, ratchet and compress the forks about 1"-2" with the front wheel pushed up at the front of the trailer or into a wheel chock.  You should feel the bike really lock in at this point.  Run similar tie downs from the subframe to the sides of the trailer to support the back of the bike.  Put the bike in gear and you should be good to go.  Use more support ratchet straps if you want to lock it in more (I usually use 6 straps on a bike for a long trip).
Finally, give it the shove test and see how stable she is.  Drive easy on the trip, and reverse the steps when you get home.

2007 S2R1000, 2009 M696 & 2008 M695 (foster bikes)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »

thanks! about the same as we do the offroad bikes.. just a lot more stressful because there is love involved. LOVE!

Is this thing on?
DCXCV

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »

I always run them through the fork right above the bottom triple.  One on each side and you're golden. 

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
pennyrobber

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »

Damn, I thought there was going to be funny video content based on the title.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

And be very very careful when un doing the straps!!!!!

I had a near disaster when undoing the straps after a long  track day
tired and using borrowed ratchet straps which were not very good
instead of easing off both at the same time one let go all the way sending the bike over nearly onto the road bang head
Lucky it landed on my friend instead laughingdp saved the bike
oh waytogo then bought him a beer drink to repay his bruises.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:38:37 AM »

I actually have a different POV on how the strap the front end...from my many runnings around back and forth to the track...it sounds like you are not using a chock of any sort, so this may be somewhat subjective but here's where I'd start...

if you have a strap with heavy D-ring on either side, then start with this ( pictured example )

if not then you might have to go from one point, around the wheel and then to the other point in a fashion similar to this...

put the bike in gear or a bungee around the front brake (or both) to engage it to eliminate a degree of the bike rolling...then go to the front and instead of running through the triples in any way, shape, or form....run around the axle at the bottom of the fork leg like this...

you then go around and make sure everything is resnugged after you do this...and for left and right stabilization only at this point( since you aren't using a chock like a Baxley), I would use a single strap from the top triple to a small variance of angle ( think trianglular) for left and right to help negate swaying...then you are done...the bike will ride comfortably and the bike will use it's suspension to absorb bumps as it is designed without being compressed or compromised...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »

There is no 1 proper way to tie a bike down.  Each person has their preferences.  I like the straps around the fork just above the lower triple method. 

I also like to double up on straps, just in case 1 would break or come loose.

mitt

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »

A couple other pointers -

Don't go crazy tight with the ratchet straps - you don't want to bottom the fork tubes out.  I usually take up about 1/2 the travel.

A bungy cord from your frame up and over your seat to the frame is not a bad idea.  The seat latches on monsters are not the most robust design, and I like having a little reassurance the seat is not going to pop off and get lost 1/2 way to my destination.

mitt

Adamm0621

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »

I'm looking at getting one of these...

http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm

2010 Monster 696 Dark
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »

That is so cool. If I had more time I would certainly get one of those. My only concern would be about twisting on the hitch. Only one attachment point with that much weight hanging over it could make for some real twisting on the hitch. <-- hope that makes sense.

Is this thing on?
JustDucky

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I use a pair of soft-ties around the forks above the triple clamps, set the bike on the kickstand tie down the left strap just less than snug, stand the bike up and pull the right one tight so the bike is straight up and down.  I don't use a chock in the truck either. It helps if you have the catch at the bottom tie down point and can sit on the bike and pull up on the strap to tighten.  Raise the kickstand. Give it a test wiggle. Done. The above works great for me towing the bike 500 plus miles and briskly through all the twisties to my typical camping/ridng spot.

To untie just lower the kickstand, release the right tie down so the bike sets down on the stand, then the other tie.

But I'll freely admit using more is better for tie downs.  Using a chock is better then not.  I've had good luck with canyon dancers on sportbikes  but the soft ties work well on the monster as there is no bodywork covering the lower triple. I also admit to using 4-6 tie downs the first few years hauling bikes around. Some would argue tieing a bike down this tight is bad for the fork seals.  I've never had a problem.   To each his own.  And better safe than sorry as you get comfortable securing your bike for towing.

And invest in quality tie downs - such as Ancra.  The cheapies suck.  Good luck with your trip. And congrats on the new ride.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »

I just lay it down in the bed.

Should I not do that?  Tongue

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »

I just lay it down in the bed.

Should I not do that?  Tongue

Nah, your good. Drive it up the ramp and drop it on its side. Apply tie-downs as needed over the plastic and torque til you hear cracking. No way that sucker will move then  waytogo

Is this thing on?
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »

Nah, your good. Drive it up the ramp and drop it on its side. Apply tie-downs as needed over the plastic and torque til you hear cracking. No way that sucker will move then  waytogo

Tie downs? I guess the wifes clothesline is not good enough?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: