Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 10:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to properly tie down/trailer a motorcycle  (Read 22681 times)
DCXCV

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »

Tie downs? I guess the wifes clothesline is not good enough?

Clothes line across the back of the bed in lieu of a tailgate?  Should work.  One of the rear sets should snag it before it falls out.

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
Scotzman
Now that's thinking with your

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »

I just lay it down in the bed.

Should I not do that?  Tongue
I know it's 1230 in the am, but that's pretty funny.

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ales you."
RetroSBK

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »

Get a Van... lol

We haul a LOT of bikes.. Like 50k miles a year with a bike in the back of the van.

Baxley sport chock - Expensive but worth it. Harbor freight has one thats cheap for the occasional use.

Tie Downs - We only tie down the front - One regular and one ratcheting tie down per side, as far apart as we can put them.

The other big one is the folding ramp - 8 footer, arched, aluminum, and 12 inches wide. Worth every penny of your $200. It will last you forever.

We never tie the back down... lets the bike move around a bit, don't compress the forks too much, be sure to tie off the loose ends of the tie downs, as they can come loose, and the half loop will catch the bike before it falls.

Another good one from the pickup days is to lay the ramp and gear in the back of the truck, and use a tie down to go from the passenger footrest to the tailgate latch to hold the tailgate up. That works great!

Will

Will Kenefick's Retro Superbike. Bringing you the sickest Sh*t since '94
Dave R

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »

We designed these to be used when you tie down your bike in order to keep from compressing the springs for any length of time when transporting.   Only one is needed for each bike and the ones we made are designed for 43mm SBK forks.  We can also shorten them for use on Monsters.  We have only made a small 10 unit production run so the cost for each at this time is $70 each.  If there is interested we can get it down to around $50 for 100+ order.  It is made from Delrin plastic so it is super strong and won't flex or damage the seals.. Delrin is often used for frame sliders and knee pucks
8 left in stock....give us a call or feel free to comment

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »

We designed these to be used when you tie down your bike in order to keep from compressing the springs for any length of time when transporting.   Only one is needed for each bike and the ones we made are designed for 43mm SBK forks.  We can also shorten them for use on Monsters.  We have only made a small 10 unit production run so the cost for each at this time is $70 each.  If there is interested we can get it down to around $50 for 100+ order.  It is made from Delrin plastic so it is super strong and won't flex or damage the seals.. Delrin is often used for frame sliders and knee pucks
8 left in stock....give us a call or feel free to comment

I am not an expert, just a mechanical engineer, but it seems a little suspension travel allowed would be better than totally rigid as you are cruising down the road the trailer is bouncing.  

How are the bikes crated and shipped to you from IT?

mitt

Dave R

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »

when bikes are tied down you typically cinch the forks down most of the way, you don't want the bike floating while on the straps.  This is to help keep the springs from being collapsed for extended periods of time..

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
myssrhl

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »

one word ........ canyon dancer 

http://www.canyondancer.com/products.aspx

"Never grow old .... Never give up"
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

one word ........ canyon dancer 

http://www.canyondancer.com/products.aspx

That would definitely be a good investment.

I decided to lay her down on the trailer and surround her with pillows. Then I'll use the clothes line to keep the pillows from flying out of the trailer.

What could go wrong??  waytogo

Is this thing on?
vwboomer

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »

For MX bikes and the like they have spacers that go between the fender and the tire. Similar idea to the fork braces above. The problem is that they don't allow any give when going over bumps or around corners. The shock is transferred to the rest of the bike. After watching 5 bikes on a trailer for 7 hours of travel last weekend, I know that some travel is good. I wouldn't use a brace on my GasGas much less my Ducati.

Even if it DID work well, I couldn't justify the price for something that isn't really needed. Just my opinion.

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: