Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: install SBK fork, clipons, and more @ M696  (Read 44860 times)
pjfa

M696 pjfa Edition & 900SL III #643

« on: April 07, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »

Here how I handle this issue  coffee

Pick a 2008 1098 Showa (used with 10.000kms and Service done [oil and seals]) From Italy

Clipons from Performance Parts - 53mm clamp (new) - From Germany

Front wheel - 5 spokes with 25mm bearings (inner diameter) - (new) - From Italy

Shim for front axle - 30mm inner diameter, 35mm outer diameter, 44mm wide (machined in 15 minutes  waytogo )

Spacer 4,5mm wide/thickness (didn´t measure them  bang head ) - From Spain

Shim for lower triple clamp - 165x60mm 0,5mm wide/thickness - From Portugal  Grin

Top Triple Clamp for Monster with 53 SBK fork from SPEEDYMOTO USA

So, after get all these parts together... let´s play  Evil

9:34 AM
Go to your bike shop with your M696 (let the extra stuff at home)

Don´t forget to bring literature  Grin

After disassemble the headlight (only 2 screws), start to take off the handlebar...

... then the top triple.

Place the new Top Triple

Insert the shim in the lower triple and one fork leg  Grin

Repeat to the other one.

Put wheel in it´s place and also clipons and...

...  bang head forgot about the front axle need a shim (10:34 AM)

So, after negociate with the machinery man  Grin
Here I´m at 10:59 AM

11:17 AM - Back to playground  bow down

A little cut to perfect fit.

How it looks

Place the spacers between discs and wheel

Fit the axle

Assemble everything - 12:50 AM

Go for a test ride

Result

Now, fine tune:

You can follow me @ http://desmodromicamente.blogspot.com/

I would like to thank´s to all of those who contribute for this project of my M696 pjfa Edition  waytogo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:53:36 PM by pjfa » Logged

900 SL III #643 & 998s Final Edition
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »

applause applause Awesome job, great write-up!  bow down bow down

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
erichan8757

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:48:45 PM »

great resultsss!!!! thumbs upppp

07 GT1000
06 M620, [SOLD]
Modifications are never too many.
DoWorkSon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »

Did the fork swap require you to change out the 696 brakes and/or rotors for the 1098's?

Ive been told this is a necessary swap for the 1098 forks to work on the 696.

2003 BMW R1150GS- The commuter
2009 M696--SOLD
pjfa

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

Did the fork swap require you to change out the 696 brakes and/or rotors for the 1098's?

Ive been told this is a necessary swap for the 1098 forks to work on the 696.

I didn´t change them because I use some spacer between the rotors and the wheel:

Here you can see it fited:

DoWorkSon

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »

Will the 1098 axle work on the stock 696 front wheel? Too big?

I just got a pair of 1098 forks with lower triple and axle.... Do I still need to use 696 axle and make shim, or can I skip that and just use the axle that came with the forks?

2009 M696--SOLD
pjfa

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »

Will the 1098 axle work on the stock 696 front wheel? Too big?

I just got a pair of 1098 forks with lower triple and axle.... Do I still need to use 696 axle and make shim, or can I skip that and just use the axle that came with the forks?

Hi,

Sorry for answer only now  waytogo
Well, I don´t know but look´s like there is no issue fitting the sbk axle in the M696 wheel.

ReapeR696

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

Hey all, I’ve got a question I’d like to float out there in the hope one of you more experienced modders can answer it for me. It appears to me, just by looking at the schematics of the triples, forks, brake and wheel assemblies that there is no need for rotor spacers with the 1098 forks if you retain the stock 696 wheel. Here is my line of logic, Pjfa replaced the stock 696 wheel with a different one which makes me wonder if the width of the wheel hub is the same as the stock 696 wheel, can anyone answer this? If there is a width difference between the two wheel hubs I can see the need for rotor spacers so the rotors line back up with the brake calipers. The reason I bring this up is because the stock 696 axel is retained in the fork swap which tells me the overall width of the brake and wheel assembly stays the same as the factory tolerances. I know that there is a 1mm difference in the fork tubes (53mm for the 1098 forks vs 54mm for the 696forks) and because of this there will be a 1mm increase in the inner and outer measurements between the fork tubes. If the axel bolts directly back up, which it appears that it does, keeping in mind the addition of an axel spacer for the right fork leg, I don’t see how there would be a need for the rotor spacers if everything associated with the wheel and brake assemblies bolts back up to the factory specifications. Has anyone else ran into this problem and can you explain the need for the spacers? Also, if rotor spacers are still required, has anyone been able to identify the thickness they need to be? I see in the post they need to be 45mm wide so the bolt pattern for the rotors can be drilled, I just haven’t been able to find any information on the thickness for the spacers. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my seemingly overcomplicated dilemma. –ReapeR696
DoWorkSon

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »

Hey all, I’ve got a question I’d like to float out there in the hope one of you more experienced modders can answer it for me. It appears to me, just by looking at the schematics of the triples, forks, brake and wheel assemblies that there is no need for rotor spacers with the 1098 forks if you retain the stock 696 wheel. Here is my line of logic, Pjfa replaced the stock 696 wheel with a different one which makes me wonder if the width of the wheel hub is the same as the stock 696 wheel, can anyone answer this? If there is a width difference between the two wheel hubs I can see the need for rotor spacers so the rotors line back up with the brake calipers. The reason I bring this up is because the stock 696 axel is retained in the fork swap which tells me the overall width of the brake and wheel assembly stays the same as the factory tolerances. I know that there is a 1mm difference in the fork tubes (53mm for the 1098 forks vs 54mm for the 696forks) and because of this there will be a 1mm increase in the inner and outer measurements between the fork tubes. If the axel bolts directly back up, which it appears that it does, keeping in mind the addition of an axel spacer for the right fork leg, I don’t see how there would be a need for the rotor spacers if everything associated with the wheel and brake assemblies bolts back up to the factory specifications. Has anyone else ran into this problem and can you explain the need for the spacers? Also, if rotor spacers are still required, has anyone been able to identify the thickness they need to be? I see in the post they need to be 45mm wide so the bolt pattern for the rotors can be drilled, I just haven’t been able to find any information on the thickness for the spacers. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my seemingly overcomplicated dilemma. –ReapeR696

I sure hope this logic is true.... That would eliminate the need for me to machine any parts other than making the top triple wider.... That would make the 1098 fork install a direct one as long as you have the 1098 axle, lower triple, and a top triple to fit

2009 M696--SOLD
ReapeR696

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »

Doworkson, I guess we'll find out waytogo. I haven't had a chance to test out my theory yet, still waiting on the UPS guy to deliver my triple. Hopefully i didn't overlook anything but i've been known to make a miscalculation or two, i'm pretty novice at bike building bang head. I'll post up a report once i get the rest of my few remaining parts and find a chance to work on my bike. What type of bars are you going to be using, clipons or another style? I picked up a set of Renthals from flebay last week i'm hoping will fit the bill. Best of luck with your build. -ReapeR696
Raux
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:34:48 AM »

ok,

have SBK forks on the way. I have no axle. should i buy an M696, M1100 or SBK axle. seems the sbk would be the right one due to the bigger size, ie not needing the out shim on the clamp. but still not sure about the spacers on the wheel. I'm using the stock 696 wheel.

also, for the bolts for the brakes with spacers, did you buy longer ones or are the stock ones long enough?
pjfa

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »

also, for the bolts for the brakes with spacers, did you buy longer ones or are the stock ones long enough?
Hi Raux, I´ve used the standart bolts.  waytogo

DoWorkSon

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »

ok,

have SBK forks on the way. I have no axle. should i buy an M696, M1100 or SBK axle. seems the sbk would be the right one due to the bigger size, ie not needing the out shim on the clamp. but still not sure about the spacers on the wheel. I'm using the stock 696 wheel.

I will be able to let you know by the end of the weekend on this... Just got the stock front end off and am in the process of mounting up the 1098 forks... Mine came with the axle and lower triple...

What I noticed, and not sure why, is that the 1098 axle is shorter than the 696's.... Not sure if I am not looking at something wrong or what, but it looks about a half an inch shorter...

I still need to get it bolted up, so I will let you know if the 1098 axle works as well as needing/not needing the spacers for rotors

2009 M696--SOLD
Raux
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »

I will be able to let you know by the end of the weekend on this... Just got the stock front end off and am in the process of mounting up the 1098 forks... Mine came with the axle and lower triple...

What I noticed, and not sure why, is that the 1098 axle is shorter than the 696's.... Not sure if I am not looking at something wrong or what, but it looks about a half an inch shorter...

I still need to get it bolted up, so I will let you know if the 1098 axle works as well as needing/not needing the spacers for rotors

HOLD ON. pretty sure you can't use that lower triple.
DoWorkSon

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »

HOLD ON. pretty sure you can't use that lower triple.

Why not?

Oh and I was mistaken about the axle lengths.. They are the same

2009 M696--SOLD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: