Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCR install - with pods - prep questions  (Read 25212 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« on: April 04, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »

Getting ready to do an Keihin FCR 41 install on my M900. I'm excited. I want to know if there's anything I should consider or beware of in the process.

I plan to use pod filters, I have a pair of UNI Foam filters to fit on the carbs directly.

I'm going to remove the airbox completely, and make a battery tray bracket, as done on the DucatiSuite site. Attached to the airbox/battery box are the ignition modules & coils, the battery, main fuse, and hanging below is the starter solenoid. I can't think of anything else.

The Ducati Suite Example:

In making my new battery box, I know I need to affix the starter solenoid beneath the box in some way. Likewise, the coils and ignition modules must be mounted somewhere. My favorite setup so far is eonan's from m900.blogspot.com, shown here:

I know its also possible to just cut up the airbox, like this:

I've also seen these:

(with Mikunis)

I'm not sure what this guy did for his battery or coils, but I ran across this searching, too:

Last question, is it possible to still use my ER Racing Quick-Turn Throttle? This bad boy was spendy, and its quite nice (3 different cams, aluminum tube, etc). Its also a push-pull (2-cable) system. Not sure if its possible to have the ends work with the Keihin's and if not, where could I get some cables made that have 90-degree bends at the ends (it looks like the Keihin setup uses a 90-degree bend, and the ER Racing Throttle definitely uses them to enter the throttle grip housing.)

Thanks guys!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »

Hi am

It's Easter Sunday here but I bet it feels like Christmas to you! Grin

Will the ends of the cables from the quick action throttle just loop up and over, and fit top brackets of the FCRs?

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
TreyRiser

99' M900S

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »

First of all A M...thanks for the triple clamp waytogo Here's how that turned out...

as far as the FCRs are concerned...you can make the stock air box work if you have a hack saw, some elbow grease, and a dremel. This is what i did and i will be the first to say this is a function over style type procedure. I looked at what was done on ducatisuite.com with the sheet metal and that looks way better, so my suggestion is to go that route if you have the time and are willing to figure that out. I am by nature impatient, which is a bad trait i know but i thought about it and the stock box and mount seemed to work fine after the install...i have 300 miles on it since the mod and everything is working as advertised. Oh, and in the previous thread i had said i would not be so hard on the poor thing and get a more reasonable gas mileage reading and i got 42.5MPG on the last tank, that is about 7 mpg better than the mikunis, and i must mention there was a 4 mile straight away in there that was done at no less than 130 so prolly can do even better, i'm guessing close to 50mpg on a granny ride[clap]
Here is what that mod looks like on my bike...

Now there is one thing i am still wanting to change and if you look on the upper side of the box there is a peace left of the air box that goes at a 90 degree angle towards the Pod filters, i ran out of dremel bits and it was getting late so i am planning on coming  back in later and sawing that off since it is a useless chunk of plastic...so disregard that.

Now the cables i am not to sure about but this is what the connection looks like up close....

i used the throttle assembly that chris supplies with the kit...and if you do go this route be very careful when you clamp the throttle housing together on the handlebars because this is soft aluminum  and it can be kinda tricky getting it positioned...i nearly stripped it out but i discovered it before it was irreplacable damage. I would speculate that to use your push pull throttle you have it would be dependant on the cable length and how much play you have in the pull for it to work.

All in all this is a very straight forward install just take your time and it will be all grins afer that. If you got any other questions i will do my best to help

here is the bike in question too... [moto]

I am gonna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes down!!
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »

Very cool. That does help. I may not be able to use the ER Racing throttle housing, but I may be able to put the throttle tube/cam inside the supplied housing.

greenmonster

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »

I´d go w a new bracket, a butchered original is very weak & flimsy.
I made a new in alu, very simple. Used original bracket f coils & ign boxes as DucatiSuite.

I know I need to affix the starter solenoid beneath the box in some way.
Quite easy to fit the solenoid bracket on the underside of the new bracket.
Sorry, I have no pics.

Keihin throttle housing & cables works very well, why not sell the ER as is?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:25:34 PM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »

That's probably the best plan for the ER Racing Throttle.

I'm going to make a new bracket out of carbon fiber angle and sheets of carbon fiber, so it all goes together (since I've done the tail that way, and the triangular piece that goes above the regulator/rectifier

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »

That's probably the best plan for the ER Racing Throttle.

I'm going to make a new bracket out of carbon fiber angle and sheets of carbon fiber, so it all goes together (since I've done the tail that way, and the triangular piece that goes above the regulator/rectifier

So far all the battery box/brackets that I have seen on the net have been alloy or chopped stockers. Carbon fibre will be great to see done.
I take it the ER throttle didn't work?     

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:31:34 PM »

First of all A M...thanks for the triple clamp waytogo Here's how that turned out...

as far as the FCRs are concerned...you can make the stock air box work if you have a hack saw, some elbow grease, and a dremel. This is what i did and i will be the first to say this is a function over style type procedure. I looked at what was done on ducatisuite.com with the sheet metal and that looks way better, so my suggestion is to go that route if you have the time and are willing to figure that out. I am by nature impatient, which is a bad trait i know but i thought about it and the stock box and mount seemed to work fine after the install...i have 300 miles on it since the mod and everything is working as advertised. Oh, and in the previous thread i had said i would not be so hard on the poor thing and get a more reasonable gas mileage reading and i got 42.5MPG on the last tank, that is about 7 mpg better than the mikunis, and i must mention there was a 4 mile straight away in there that was done at no less than 130 so prolly can do even better, i'm guessing close to 50mpg on a granny ride[clap]
Here is what that mod looks like on my bike...

Now there is one thing i am still wanting to change and if you look on the upper side of the box there is a peace left of the air box that goes at a 90 degree angle towards the Pod filters, i ran out of dremel bits and it was getting late so i am planning on coming  back in later and sawing that off since it is a useless chunk of plastic...so disregard that.

Now the cables i am not to sure about but this is what the connection looks like up close....

i used the throttle assembly that chris supplies with the kit...and if you do go this route be very careful when you clamp the throttle housing together on the handlebars because this is soft aluminum  and it can be kinda tricky getting it positioned...i nearly stripped it out but i discovered it before it was irreplacable damage. I would speculate that to use your push pull throttle you have it would be dependant on the cable length and how much play you have in the pull for it to work.

All in all this is a very straight forward install just take your time and it will be all grins afer that. If you got any other questions i will do my best to help

here is the bike in question too... [moto]

Gday a m/TR.

Nice work TR. I actually like how you have done the battery box.

I kept the stock open air box and K&N filter. I separated the battery box from the air box, so I can take either one off. I cut just in front of where the battery straps originate. There is a 5-10mm gap now.

This lets me run the bike with the battery off and remote with long auxiliary cables and the air box and ignition parts in place to synchronize it with a manometer. The battery sits on a stool next to the bike connected via the auxiliary cables letting me get to the top of the carbs for needle adjustments and synchronizing.

A friend of mine put the battery in the very front of the air box and put the ignition where the battery box used to be. He runs pods on his Superlight and can access all of the carbs (FCR 39s) without removing anything. The whole front, lower bulge of the air box was dissected from the rest and holds a smaller SBK gel battery in front of and under the K&N pods. Only thing is that the SS frame has two brackets for the front of the air box to take the weight of a battery and the Monsters only have one. His solution cut the air box in half and cut down the battery box into an ignition bracket.

a m if you want to, you could fabricate a tidier solution than his to have complete access to all of the carbs without removing anything. Unlike a plastic chopper like me, you have the skill to do it in carbon. The only problem is to find a solution for the single front air box bracket on the Monster. Whatever you decide, looking forward to seeing your carbon work.

TR your bike looks great. Is it one of the first Monster S models?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:00:52 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:28:22 AM »

I think mine will be a simple carbon angle and sheet from a structural carbon vendor and some good 3M epoxy. It won't look as pretty as something that's purposefully molded that way, and probably won't be quite as light, but it will certainly weigh in less than the stock airbox, and it will be crazy strong.

I did a small box/table out of some of these materials before that I could jump up and down on without it even so much as whimpering. And I'm no small mammal.

TreyRiser

99' M900S

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:28:26 PM »

Thanks for the support Koko, lot of hours staring at it trying to figure out how to make it look "cleaner" now that reflector is gone too, registration time Police, I am not to sure about it being one of the "1st S models" because i am not all that familiar with when Ducati started making the 900S but it has the adjustable shocks and it had a bunch of stock carbon fiber all over it...not too sure what else made it an S model as now it has been customized and repainted but thats what the Vin specified i guess.

I like the way the battery box works as it is, i have logged about 435 miles on the bike since the FCR install and still no issues to be noted, i guess my grin muscles are starting to get sore now so take that into consideration...i made a 600 ninja look like a 250 rebel in my rear view too, 0-100 this thing is fast...plus i put a few more teeth on the rear sprocket too so that helps a bit...wont do too much more than 135...thats at 8700RPM too...so thats about flat out but honestly thats more than enough...it would be interesting to see what it would top out at with a 39 tooth rear sprocket...maybe someday........ chug

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »

Bring it down to the Texas Mile. You get a mile to figure out how fast it'll go.

Autostrada Pilot

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »

I kept the stock open air box and K&N filter. I separated the battery box from the air box, so I can take either one off. I cut just in front of where the battery straps originate. There is a 5-10mm gap now.

I thought about chopping the battery box/air box to allow easier removal (it sure is wedged in there)-have you noticed any problems or side effects of chopping the battery tray off of the air box? Does it move around at all?

2003 Monster 620 Dark - Sold

1999 Monster 900 City - Sold

After 7 years of Monsters, I'm sadly bikeless right now.
TreyRiser

99' M900S

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »

the battery box definately wiggles a bit more than it used to but i placed some zipties in strategic places and it seems be pretty sturdy now...i havent had any abnormol operating side effects either, everything seems to be working great as my endless shiteating  Grin would indicate....

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »

I thought about chopping the battery box/air box to allow easier removal (it sure is wedged in there)-have you noticed any problems or side effects of chopping the battery tray off of the air box? Does it move around at all?

Not really with a small gel type battery. I have revved the bike with the tank up and was surprised by how stable the whole set up was. My bolts, washers and grommets holding the battery box seem to be in good shape.

I had to pack in the small battery with foam and tighten the straps. The battery is a late model SBK type so it is lower and shorter. It's about half the weight which is a big weight saving that high on the bike's center of gravity. Another advantage is no acid/water spillage or ugly overflow hose.

With a tall stock battery I imagine there would be some rocking of the battery on the rubber mountings.

You could still separate the battery box and air box but have a quick release bracket between the two for stability. I didn't bother.
Looking forward to tiny battery technology becoming more affordable, that would make battery weight negligible. There were some products mentioned on this site that were incredibly light.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:49:30 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Düb Lüv
ASE master internet mechanic

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

I'm not sure what this guy did for his battery or coils, but I ran across this searching, too:

this is my doings. i came up with a new battery box but wasn't 100% happy with it. trying to come up with something that's nice and clean. i came across this set-up on another site that really caught my eye.

about half way down on the 2nd page.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?s=66d19eeb9ae87bf06d0bc6ff7bb11502&t=35281&highlight=singles&page=2

Building, building, building
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: