Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 10:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauges Not working  (Read 2932 times)
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »

hey all

2002 Monster 620dark

Speedometer doesn't seem to be getting power. i am stumped. tried tracing the wires back, checked fuses, and sensor. The dummy lights odometer and temp displays are all go. I am assuming there are lights for the speedo and tach and i am getting nothing there so i am guessing it is something simple but I as I said....stumped.
any help is appreciated!!

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »

Does the speedometer sweep when you turn the key on?  If it does you are probably not getting a signal from the speed sensor.  The sensor is a Hall effect sensor, three wires at the connector.  The sensor is located at the rear wheel.  The middle wire is the signal your speedometer uses.  The other two wires are hot and ground.  Every time a rotor bolt passes the sensor (key on) a signal goes to the dash. 
moto-zen

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:56:25 AM »

Try tracing the wires to their connector. Pull it apart and check the female side of the connector. Sometime these get pushed all the way in, and they won't make full contact.

The democracy will cease to exist  when you
take away from those who are willing to work and
give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »

Thats the thing---nothing happens at all with either the speedo or tach. No back lights, no sweeping, nada. That's why I suspect the gauges are not getting any power. I will check the pins though--good lookin out!

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:46:24 AM »

hey---follow up question---any good places to get a wiring schematic for these puppies? I found the parts manual but no info on the pinouts for the connectors.
gracias!

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:31 AM »

recheck fuses and replace the gauge fuses.  just because they don't look blown doesn't mean they aren't.

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »

Thanks--checked continuity on the fuses--still no dice. that was a good call though. I just did a visual check. Back down I go, flashlight in hand....

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
moto-zen

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »

hey---follow up question---any good places to get a wiring schematic for these puppies? I found the parts manual but no info on the pinouts for the connectors.
gracias!
A quick google search found this. http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2008/07/23/ducati-monster-900-electrical-wiring-diagram
I didn't look into it. I hope it helps.

The democracy will cease to exist  when you
take away from those who are willing to work and
give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:31 AM »

have you disconnected the connector from behind the gauge cluster lately?

if so, just double check you don;t have any bent pins on the male connector. this happened to me once.

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:49:58 AM »

yep--first thing I checked. I'm a harvard tech weenie and I work with bent computer pins all the time. I'll put it on the triple check list though. Funny---I was searching all over for the wiring diagram---THERE'S ONE IN THE VERY BACK OF THE MANUAL!!!  I was looking in the back of the english section of the manual. I'm an idiot. Of course you need a microscope and some forceps to read it but at least it's there.....still can't find where the speedo gets is power yet though.

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
mikeb
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:36:28 AM »

Had something similar happen to my bike last week.

Turned out to be a relay.  Under your tank, to the left of the battery, there are two relays.  Swap them around and see if that helps.  One works the dash and the other works the fuel pump.  I had no power to my dash.  Swapped them around and then my dash lit up but my fuel pump wouldn't.  Tried them one at a time in each position and was able to isolate the bad relay.  Swapped it out and the problem was solved.

Here is the link to my thread.  But it sounds like you've got more power to your dash than I did though.  I didn't even get the idiot lights.  So I don't know if this will help or not.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=36631.0
beatcat

I'm a big man with a

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »

yeah! I saw that thread too and I got all excited about it---swapped them and had the exact same results as before. This just sucks. i don't want to shell out the cash for a new cluster but it would be helpful to know by how much I am breaking the speed limit....I mean...err...how fast I am not going.....

'02 ducati monster dark
'85 Honda Magna sold
'06 Vento Sauron
'10 Benelli scoot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: