Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 09:57:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Coils (Dyna related question)  (Read 4268 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« on: March 28, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

Ok, so for a long time I've been using Dyna Coils that I got as a kit from CA-Cycleworks. I loved the improvement over stock.

The ignition coils (pair) are single output, green 3-ohm coils. From the Dynatek website, they are described:

Dynatek Coils: These high tech, top quality coils are designed for maximum performance. They produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. DYNA Coils are made to replace stock coils. Choose from three configurations and five variations of resistance for different applications. DYNA Coils work with point ignitions, aftermarket electronic ignitions and factory electronic ignitions. Before selecting a coil, check the coil primary resistance requirements as specified by the manufacturer of the ignition being used.

Dual output variety, same as on my bike but with second output:

My question is ... if I was to do this again on a second bike, would it be more beneficial to switch to the miniature Dyna Coils which are only $5 more.. Looks like they are supposed to be smaller, easier to tuck away, and the stats show them as a bit more powerful unless I'm mistaken. Here's the skinny on the miniature model according to the Dynatek website:

Dynatek Miniature Series Coils
Mini Coil FEATURES & BENEFITS:
No exposed laminations to rust and degrade performance.
High voltage and primary terminals machined from brass.
Ultrasonically welded and sealed against moisture.
Compact size fits easily under stock covers.
Peak gap current in excess of 50mA.
High impact thermoplastic housing.
Accepts 7 to 8.8mm wires.
Over 40,000 volts per output.
1 year warranty.

Dual output model, obviously not what I'd be going for right now:

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »

i don't think they'll work with the L twin because of the wasted spark. 

email the ppl at Dynatek, they usually reply pretty fast.. what's the difference in the mini vs regular models...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

i don't think they'll work with the L twin because of the wasted spark. 

email the ppl at Dynatek, they usually reply pretty fast.. what's the difference in the mini vs regular models...
What would the wasted spark have to do with anything?

The coil doesn't know it's wasted...

only if it's capable of producing it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Langanobob

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:19 AM »

What would the wasted spark have to do with anything?

The coil doesn't know it's wasted...

only if it's capable of producing it.

I think ato memphis just showed a picture of the dual output model because that was the picture that was available.  He said he would not be using the dual coil model on his bike so it's a moot point.  No FHE and the only question that I have on the miniature coils is that it seems like there must be some sort of compromise to get them so small.  Is the wire smaller gage and less durable?  Not saying it is, just asking.  Or heaven forbid is there solid state circuitry in there somewhere?  I have a Stihl cutoff saw with some sort of chip in the coil and if you look at it too hard it fails.   I don't have any reason to suspect there are any shortcomings in the miniature Dyna coils, just asking the questions that come to  mind.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:34:07 AM »

I think ato memphis just showed a picture of the dual output model because that was the picture that was available.  <snip>
gotcha

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »

Yeah, that was just the two listed pictures I quickly grabbed. Just wondering about the little ones, since they purport to give out greater voltage (big: 30,000; little: 40,000), and the wire requirements means they'd fit the wires I have (which I think are 8.5 - that's the measurement of the jacket).

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:48:34 AM »

Yeah, that was just the two listed pictures I quickly grabbed. Just wondering about the little ones, since they purport to give out greater voltage (big: 30,000; little: 40,000), and the wire requirements means they'd fit the wires I have (which I think are 8.5 - that's the measurement of the jacket).
jacket measurement doesn't have a lot to do with wire gauge...

just sayin'

perspective

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:18:34 AM »

Right, I'm looking at the NGK wires I got (still need to put the appropriate ends on them at the coil side), and they are 8.5 I believe, which is in the range of those little ones, and in the range for the big ones. It seems like the jacket size they give doesn't have a lot to do with what the wiring on the inside is like.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:13 AM »

Right, I'm looking at the NGK wires I got (still need to put the appropriate ends on them at the coil side), and they are 8.5 I believe, which is in the range of those little ones, and in the range for the big ones. It seems like the jacket size they give doesn't have a lot to do with what the wiring on the inside is like.
Sorry...

I was thinking supply wire not secondary ignition wire.... bang head bang head bang head

Those are indeed measured by OD

perspective

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »

I can't figure out why they are measured that way - seems like two measurements should be given - the jacket diameter which is only useful in an analysis of protecting the underlying wire, flexibility, heat/chemical protection, etc. It doesn't really give you information about transfer of voltage.

Plug wires should have a good explicit second rating (there's some ohms/length loss figure given it seems) about how they transfer the energy. And some type of guide that tells me which one suits my application. Its not as straightforward as it should be, it seems.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21:33 AM »

Yeah! And why do they put hot dogs in a 12 pk but the buns in a 10 pk?! [mad]

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: