Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've Made it!  (Read 39131 times)
djrashonal

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »

Thanks for the heads up! I've been browsin around the site a bit and found a few I wouldnt mind putting a little bit of work into. If I can get a 1 or 2 car carport I can invest a bit of time and money and enclose it myself. Good luck on finding something!

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
djrashonal

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »

Ok, Time to Re-Revive this thread, with new info! We've got our final dates and the wife ended up getting an extension of her TDY and we're staying for 6 weeks, from August 6-Sept 17/18

We can spend up to 177/n (or $7,434 for the entire 6 weeks) at a hotel, but would prefer to rent a condo or house somewhere down by Waikiki, or in Kailua. I've been looking on www.vbro.com to find some long term vacation rentals. we'll be renting 1 car and I may look into renting a bike or scooter just to get around. Preferably something within walking distance to most things, so I'm not stuck in the house all day until she gets home.

Also, I'm going to take the opportunity to scout around for jobs as well as fun things to do to keep myself busy, so if anyone has any advice on either of those that would be great!

So, recap:

We'll be on Oahu from August 6- Sept 17/18

Looking for:
Hotel <=177/n
or
House/Condo <= 7.4k for 6wks
Preferably on the beach, but not required
Close to Either Waikiki or Kailua (but open to other suggestions)

Needs:
fairly safe parking included/close by
walking distance to food and or things to do
Any advice/connections for jobs
Fun things to do (it will be just me by myself for most of the time)
local hangouts/less touristy spots
long term bike/scooter rentals?

Anything else you guys could think of?
Anybody wanna meet up and grab a beer?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

Hotel <=177/n
or
House/Condo <= 7.4k for 6wks

That should be pretty easy - almost any hotel can hook you up with a govvie rate to meet your needs.  As for the condo, VRBO is a good way to go, but I don't know of any personally.

Anybody wanna meet up and grab a beer?

Hmm.  Maybe.   waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »

Most of your requirements actually dictate Waikiki or nearby. There's lots of fun things to do here but the walking distance part kind of limits things.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
djrashonal

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »

I suppose it doesn't HAVE/b] to be walking distance, because I can take her to work in the AM and have the car, or i can see a man about a horse (or renting a bike/scooter) to get me around. Plus, I don't mind walking a lot or public transportion......
But we'll see what I can find as far as rentals.

As far as a things to do go, I'm going to compile a list of things for us (read: me) to do. I could use your input on the things you guys like to do in your spare time (in addition to whats already posted)
I was thinking:
Cool Hikes- (diamond head?, haiku stairs, etc)
Cool snorkeling/diving spots-
Cool areas to Kayak- (decent kayaker, nothing crazy though)
Any other ideas?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »

There are far better hikes to go on than Diamond Head or Stairway to Heaven. Wackie can fill you in on that.

I guess the best kayaking is in Kailua Bay, Waimanalo Bay and Kaneohe Bay. Portlock to Waikiki is good too but on most days you have an offshore wind working against you if you get in any kind of trouble.  Roll Eyes

I haven't been in the water with tanks on for over 40 years but I used to love Sharks Cove and the Makua/Yokohama area ( which might not be safe for you these days ). People still dive & snorkle Hanauma Bay but I bet that's tired after one or two outings.

Do you play golf?     There's lots of fun places to play here.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
djrashonal

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »

There are far better hikes to go on than Diamond Head or Stairway to Heaven. Wackie can fill you in on that.

I guess the best kayaking is in Kailua Bay, Waimanalo Bay and Kaneohe Bay. Portlock to Waikiki is good too but on most days you have an offshore wind working against you if you get in any kind of trouble.  Roll Eyes

I haven't been in the water with tanks on for over 40 years but I used to love Sharks Cove and the Makua/Yokohama area ( which might not be safe for you these days ). People still dive & snorkle Hanauma Bay but I bet that's tired after one or two outings.

Do you play golf?     There's lots of fun places to play here.

well i doubt i'll be doin much diving since the wife isnt really big on swimming in general (we snorkeled in Hanauma Bay and she barely stuck her face under to look at the fish. we may go back there, but we'll see how comfortable she gets in the water.

I actually juuusssst bought my first set of used clubs and am starting to go to the driving range and teach myself how to play, so when I get there, I'll be able to hit the ball more than patches of grass

I heard there is a lot of anger/racism towards tourists/non-hawaiian kaima-aina (sp?) that go to "locals" beaches and watering holes. Is there much truth to that? any areas I should stay away from so I dont get my ass kicked over something silly?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »

I heard there is a lot of anger/racism towards tourists/non-hawaiian kaima-aina (sp?) that go to "locals" beaches and watering holes. Is there much truth to that? any areas I should stay away from so I dont get my ass kicked over something silly?

You need to get this, to understand this. It is not so much about a local vs. white thing as it is about attitude & perspective. To be sure there are possibly moments, in certain places, where no matter what, your ass will be handed to you. Same thing as if you were in east LA or Birmingham or Detroit or Oakland. But as in all cases a certain heads up and true appreciation and realization of who you are and where you are at helps a lot.  There is a valid stereotype of military folks who get over here and immediately start in on how stupid this place is and how stupid the people are and so on.  This type of expression gets you exponential negative points. Go easy and stay easy works like you can't believe. A lot of folks never get that and have horrible experiences here.  A few get it and get treated like family to the point that some never leave. Like all things in life it's exactly what you make it.

All that being said I would recommend staying clear of the Leeward coast until you begin to master being local. Just saying........  cheeky

hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »

All that being said I would recommend staying clear of the Leeward coast until you begin to master being local. Just saying........  cheeky

whoa cuz whats wrong with the leeward side? we just like talk story and drink beer and grind good kine food you kno... hahahahhaha i think ive been in Makaha for too long

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

whoa cuz whats wrong with the leeward side? we just like talk story and drink beer and grind good kine food you kno... hahahahhaha i think ive been in Makaha for too long

It's gorgeous up there, no doubt, and I have never had a problem, but then I don't tend to go around like I own the place. 

Like the Mad one said, MOST of the time the problem starts with a haole being stupid, but it sure doesn't hurt to get the lay of the land first.

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
djrashonal

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

I try not to be an asshole to people I really don't know. The people I'm an asshole towards are my good friends and you guys on here because your on the computer and you can't get me  Tongue

I like getting the lay of the land to help me orient myself and not have to refer to a map too much, and so I know what neighborhood to avoid, and who not to piss off!

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »

Be mellow, be cool. Try to avoid using phrases like "back where I come from we'd do it like this" and "that's stupid" etc.. You'll do fine.  laughingdp

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

and who not to piss off!

Try not to piss off the guy wearing the "Tap You Out Den Tap your Chick" t-shirt... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
whackie

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

i think hiking is one of the best things about hawaii, the other being ocean sports. you have the check out hawaiian trail and mountain club. at least do one hike with them and see how you like it. typically they're really organized. they have a leader and sweeper, so they can keep track of when everyone is out. i think one of the advance trails we were the last ones out, with the leader waiting and walking out with us. but we've met some pretty cool ppl hiking with them, including visitors that were on their honeymoon. hehe. 

they hike almost every weekend. if you're not a member, it's like $3 a hike. you can join after so many hikes. but i highly recommend it. the safety factor and that the club can get into hikes that access is restricted, make them a really good option.   just be prepared to get muddy/wet and have bug repellent!

http://www.htmclub.org/skeds/index.html

agree with mac on this. it's all about attitude here. my husband gets along well, but every once in a while i have to tell him to cool his jets. ppl here are pretty laid back. prepare for things to take extra long and move slower. if you start getting frustrated with things, it won't help. you'll probably end up pissing someone off. just try to go with the flow, that's how things tend to work around here.
whackie

« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

here's a pic of the husband on kaau crater trail. you see the poles by his nose and chin, that's where the trail leads you. it takes you around the rim of the crater. it's an amazing hike, since you have to climb up the side of waterfalls. but there were parts that scared the poop out of me, that's part of why i recommend going with a group.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: