Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 01:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Valve Adjustment Interval Questions  (Read 33449 times)
SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »

I know make the beast with two backs all about the mechanics of the bike. But I think of it like this: You know how when you watch a tooth paste commercial you see them put on about three times as much tooth paste as you ever would? That's the manufacture's recommended use. You would be spending x3 as much on toothpaste if you did that. Silly and unnecessary. Like getting your car's oil changed every 3000 miles. Silly depending on the type of driving your doing. If the bike id new or your are constantly riding the piss out of it, yeah check those valves regularly. If its its old and you putter about have them checked when ever you think of it.

Either way, have the valves simply checked by someone who will only charge for the checking, not by someone who will do an adjustment just because the odometer told them to. That way you won't use so much damn toothpaste

sac

/most dealerships make their money in the service department not on the showroom floor  Wink

HATERS GONNA HATE.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:10:26 PM »

Cloner,

At 11degrees I'd be inclined to agree that we're talking about included valve angle, but that's not what the Ducati Web site says.  See Below - off Ducati.com

So named because of its minimised 11° of ‘valve overlap’ - the interval of crankshaft rotation during which both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time - the new Desmodromic power plant not only transforms the Testastretta Evoluzione’s world championship-winning 41° configuration into a super-smooth motor for sport touring, but also improves fuel efficiency, emissions and cost of scheduled maintenance.

The Testastretta 11° is an engine for all environments and the perfect ‘game-changer’ for the four-bikes-in-one concept.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
daftduc

Don't look at this

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »

I know make the beast with two backs all about the mechanics of the bike. But I think of it like this: You know how when you watch a tooth paste commercial you see them put on about three times as much tooth paste as you ever would? That's the manufacture's recommended use. You would be spending x3 as much on toothpaste if you did that. Silly and unnecessary.

/most dealerships make their money in the service department not on the showroom floor  Wink

A bit off topic but no one has posted here in over a year....

I heard a story that a consultant for a toothpaste manufacturer (Colgate I think) told them that for his following advice he doesn't want any money but given stock in the company.  This man is now a multi-millionaire after that deal.  His advice: he simply told them that in their TV ads and print ads put a solid tube width of toothpaste over the entire brush and add the curl at the end. 

-------------------

I'm nearing the need to adjust my valves.  I inspected mine at about 8k and as far as I could tell they were within the acceptable range (but it's really difficult to feel the difference in the feeler gauges).  I'm close to 15k and thinking I should check it again.

Don't look at this.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »

Is this the accepted valve clearance for all of the 2V engines?  My Hanes manual has a huge range for them depending on model.
I just checked my valve clearances, and I'm wondering if it has ever had an adjustment...my measurements are waaaay too loose on the closers, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Preferred, as opposed to accepted. Accepted (to me) would denote a value of anything within the acceptable range. Preferred is more specific.

Yeah I'm a word nerd - just ask me about verbiage and irregardless

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:26 AM »

especially true of the European brands where sales volume really isn't possible in the same fashion that the Japanese bike dealers move volume.  I believe I have read that Harleys are somewhere near a 3-way tie between merch, bikes, and service. If that's the case, it seems pretty ideal - if one area is in a 'slump', you still have 2/3 coming in. if you are over invested one side of a 2-way split, such as bikes/service like european/japanese bikes, you sure do feel the squeeze during the lean times.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: