Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 03:36:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not a high MPG sport tourer?  (Read 11639 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

I had the opportunity to throw a leg over one of these a while back.

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6504602/whats-new/military-spec-d-and-ready-for-the-field/index.html

I'd love to see this line of thought taken to something like a Gelandestrasse... 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6504602/whats-new/military-spec-d-and-ready-for-the-field/index.html

I'd love to see this line of thought taken to something like a Gelandestrasse... 

I have had my eye on that company and that civilian model of machine for a few years now and they just can't seem to turn their concentration to that end of things....great bike and concept...just wish I'd be able to get one...maybe as a DRMO piece...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 06:54:06 AM »

Gas has gone up about $.35 across the nation.  I think the fall out of the price increase will be more interest in the kind of bikes we have been talking about here.  Some have argued that the reason there is no high MPG sport tourer available is because there is no interest.  As prices increase I see an increasing need.  Who ever makes the first high MPG Sport Tourer is going to sell a lot of bikes.  Lots of good ideas here: diesels, hybrids, and direct injection. 

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
Le Pirate

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

I'm interested in what you guys are getting from your bikes

When I was commuting on my 620 I could get a consistant 55-58 mpg out of it. Thats much more than you're going to get in a car.

I don't think there is a big focus on bike mpg simply for the fact that if you doubled the fuel efficenty of every motorcycle on the road in the US, you still wouldn't put a dent in nation wide fuel usage  laughingdp

akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »

I'm interested in what you guys are getting from your bikes

When I was commuting on my 620 I could get a consistant 55-58 mpg out of it. Thats much more than you're going to get in a car.

I don't think there is a big focus on bike mpg simply for the fact that if you doubled the fuel efficenty of every motorcycle on the road in the US, you still wouldn't put a dent in nation wide fuel usage  laughingdp

Of course we won't be changing the national use of oil, only our own.  I'm not talking about a mandatory thing either.  Just like with cars where you can get a 14 mpg corvette or a 60 mpg prius it would be nice to have a choice of a 35 mpg R-1 or a 80 - 90 mpg sport tourer.   

My S4R got about 45 mpg this weekend.  By far the best it has ever done.  Best mpg bike we own is my wife's DR650 which gets about 50 mpg.  About what you'd expect for an air cooled and carbed single. 

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 06:15:47 AM »

My M900 (w/ open airbox and Stage 2 kit on Mikunis) was giving me about 45mpg on my previous commute... mostly highway.  I can achieve that around town if I'm very easy with the throttle.

I didn't get to test it much last year since I was the morning kid hauler, but once they're home for the summer I'll be back to cycle commuting.  My sedan's averaging around 30mpg, so the reduced gas expenditures are should be notable.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
bulldogs2k

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »

Since cutting back expenses, i've started commuting on my CRF230L which gets me 70mpg.  It's not a bad option considering tires are cheap, only takes a quart of oil, a strainer for a filter and usually 4 bucks to fill up.  I do all the maint. my self so it's saving me some money, plus I get to ride!   [moto]
Goat_Herder

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

I've given this some more thoughts and why there isn't a MPG sport tourer and gas price might not have any affect on it:

For the individual who would ride a sport tourer, that person enjoys this type of activity too much to care about small gain in MPG.  If you are take concerned with MPG and money spend on gas, you wouldn't spend the money to buy a sport tourer in the first place.  Therefore, there is no need for the industry to spend on R&D to improve MPG.  Just add more HP and electronic gadgets.

Maybe I am over simplying things here.   Tongue

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

369lbs is heavy for a bike?  whut?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
The Architect

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

My (gone) multi 620 would get about 50-65 mpg.  The bikes are out there. 

akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »

In the latest issue of Cycle World Kevin Cameron some of the technologies that are used by the auto industry to improve gas mileage.  There is another article in the same issue discussing turbo charging.  I can't wait to see GDI or HCCI and turbo adapted into bikes.  Fuel consumption in cars is approaching that of bikes.  A bike getting 50 to 60 mpg is no longer all that impressive.   

Charles Darwin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: