Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 05:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drove her into a ditch.  (Read 3033 times)
scduc

« on: May 28, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

Yesterday I decided to take the long way home and was having a great ride until I entered a large sweeping turn with loose gravel everywhere. The only clean spots were where car tire paths were. Needless to say the front end gave loose and before I new it, I was down in the ditch. I'm not sure I could have done anything different. When the tire gave, I was able to get the bike upright, but by that time my front was in the shoulder (which was even more gravel). I came to a stop on my left side with scratches every where. Clearly, we try to stay away from gravel but once in it, what do we do? My best guess is that when I left the road, I was maybe doing 15 ~ 20mph. So a few bruises and some repair to the bike. I guess here's my chance to get a custom paint job. Ill be looking for a new seat cowl as well. My guess is that it better to ride it into a ditch than to low-side and risk serious road-rash.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »

Sorry to hear.

You do realize if you continue to dump her in a ditch there will come a time when she leaves you....

right? Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

scduc

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »

Yeah, I can tell shes upset cuz, she's making funny noises. I've been told that is is probably the shifter forks. A friend seems to think I may have bent one. Some of the other board members think it might just need to be readjusted. Not sure what to think, I'd rather not take it to the shop if I can fix it on my own. If I have to split the case, then she has to go in.   

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
WarrenJ

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »

Glad you're in one piece!

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
Desmo Demon

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »

I'm not sure I could have done anything different.
You wrote a life-lesson of motorcycling within your post....

The only clean spots were where car tire paths were.
Ride where the tires of cars usually are, especially when anticipating gravel.

In the early spring and often when I am on roads I am not really familiar with, I tend to ride through curves where a car's tires would be, and try to keep from clipping the apex in the curve because that is the most common location for gravel to be kicked out of the shoulder and into the curve. If you are riding too fast to be able to keep that line through the curve...slow down.

Places I've been on two wheels:

IBA #32735
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: