Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 07:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1123cc Big Bore Piston Kit for 1000DS  (Read 135574 times)
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »

further questions:

a) what are you going to run for final compression ratio?
b) was the cc's (volume) of the chamber measured out of curiosity?
c) camshaft used?
d) with the porting/polishing -- did you open up the intake port or exhaust port to larger OD -- or just polished?
e) you using the factory airbox or going pods/aftermarket filters?
f) factory valves and sizing?

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »

Founds some other 1000DS motor mods on Speedzilla, here: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-supersport/57694-graphs-some-boring-stuff-2v.html
The engine is bored to 1123cc, DP cams, one mm bigger inlets, hc pistons, stock diameter 2-1 and the heads taken care of by Erik Larsson in sweden.

104.13 hp, 100.44 Nm (74.08ftlb).

Other bike featured on same page:

Here's a graph of my 1000DS engine from earlier this year. Engine not-big bored. Head work done by Chris Steedman. Engine build by Neil Barrett at Cornerspeed in the UK. High compression pistons, standard exhaust headers.

98.50 hp, 72.58

Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »

further questions:

a) what are you going to run for final compression ratio?
b) was the cc's (volume) of the chamber measured out of curiosity?
c) camshaft used?
d) with the porting/polishing -- did you open up the intake port or exhaust port to larger OD -- or just polished?
e) you using the factory airbox or going pods/aftermarket filters?
f) factory valves and sizing?
I'll try to answer your questions.
a) I don't know what the exact final compression ratio will be.  I'll have to ask.  I know the 1123 piston kits come in 11:1, 11.5:1, and 12:1.  I asked Donnie to make sure I have no problems starting.
b) I'll have to ask about the cc's of chamber.
c) Camshafts are still stock for now.
d) He told me everything he did with the heads.  I believe he said that very little was removed from the intake and exhaust ports.  A little straightening and then smoothed and polished the rough stuff.
e) K&N pod filters is what is already on the bike.
f) factory valves
jwoconnor

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 07:35:57 AM »

I thought a bit of turbulence on the intake was a good thing, and smooth polished exhaust ports were the ticket?

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 S2R1000
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:09 AM »

True, but it has a greater effect the longer the intake tract is and gets more important with carburetors where the fuel mixture enters the air-stream further from the valve.  With an EFI engine where the injector is pointing (more or less) right at the valve, the necessity for turbulence in the air stream gets less.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

I thought a bit of turbulence on the intake was a good thing, and smooth polished exhaust ports were the ticket?

It is, you are on the right track.  Polishing intake ports can be done for pretty pictures though.... bang head

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »

applause

Air/oil cooled, 2 valve, SOHC and making the same power as a 4 valve, water cooled, DOHC VTR 1000.

Wasn't it Taglioni who said that a Desmo two valver, properly ported, could make the same power as a 4 valver with valve-spring actuation? (Quote from Alan Cathcart's book 'Ducati Motorcycles')

One day, years from now, when my M900's motor is all worn out, I'm gonna transplant a 1000 DS motor with Ignitek ignition, porting, high comp, Vee Two cams and 41mm FCR's. You know, like the Chevy small block being replaced with the big block.

popcorn

2015 Scrambler 800
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »

Modern injectors are really good at atomizing the fuel spray whereas carbs do a poor job.  Turbulence in the intake of a modern FI engine is really not necessary.

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »

True, but it has a greater effect the longer the intake tract is and gets more important with carburetors where the fuel mixture enters the air-stream further from the valve.  With an EFI engine where the injector is pointing (more or less) right at the valve, the necessity for turbulence in the air stream gets less.
Stew -- what's happening with the 1000DS project you mentioned in November?
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 05:52:18 AM »

Stew -- what's happening with the 1000DS project you mentioned in November?

Motor is apart.  1078cc hi-comp pistons and the barrels are out for bore/plate right now.  Carrillo rods are in-bound.  Vee-Two cams are on order.  Cylinder heads are out getting massaged and opened up for 47mm intakes and 41mm exhaust valves.  We'll be north of 100hp EASILY with this combo of parts...  This is the bike that's getting the AL sub-frame BTW...  Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

Punx Clever

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »

God, all this fun talk of breaking open the engine is making me think my project isn't awesome enough

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 06:53:07 AM »

God, all this fun talk of breaking open the engine is making me think my project isn't awesome enough

Welcome to the addiction.  [slaps vein]

Punx Clever

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »

I said think damn you.

The insides of motorcycle engines are still a scary place to me.  Chevy small block, no problem.  All the stuff inside a moto engine... ehhh

yotogi

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »

I said think damn you.

The insides of motorcycle engines are still a scary place to me.  Chevy small block, no problem.  All the stuff inside a moto engine... ehhh

I give ya 3 months.  Evil

Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 05:39:32 AM »

A few weeks ago when I was at my Ducati shop where they are working on my bike.  They had dyno'ed my bike before starting the work.  They were excited to tell me my bike looked very healthy on the Dyno.  It had nice curves and a max of 86hp.  They thought they might be able to get a little more because the valves had been set way to tight.  They were also impressed because they had been working on a 944 2V race bike that had lots of specialized NCR parts & tons of money in it that made about the same hp as my stock 1000DS with Termi mufflers, pods & a PCIII. 

Anyways, what stuck with me is one of the guys said, "can you imagine what that bike could do with a set of FCR's?".  Up until then I had never considered carbs for my fuel injection bike.  Chris from CA-Cycleworks mentioned yesterday that a stock DS1000 can put out 100hp.  So, I'm considering the FCR's as the next project for my bike.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:41:06 AM by Travman » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: