Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 08:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1123cc Big Bore Piston Kit for 1000DS  (Read 135577 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »

waytogo

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »

Peak torque of 82 ft lbs at only 5000rpm and holds 90+ hp from 5800-7800rpm. waytogo
That's a fierce motor.  Evil

2015 Scrambler 800
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »

I just wanted to mention three items which really added to the benefits of he engine work before wrapping up this thread.  After the engine work was complete the bike ran great.  Then I heard about the accelerator pump utility program for the Power Commander III from Drunken Monkey. Basically even more gas is dumped into the system when the throttle is twisted aggressively.  It is a free download from the Power Commander website and there are no drawbacks to drivability since it doesn't do anything with normal throttle inputs, only when you feel like getting on it.  Often you will hear about the great throttle response that FCR flatside carburetors provide. Well this is the fuel injected equivalent. Very satisfying.  Here is a link to some links about the utility. It is surprising that you don't hear more about more people using it.  I highly recommend this to anyone with a fuel injected bike with a PCIII.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=46558.0Kd
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:34:57 AM by Travman » Logged
Travman

« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2012, 07:21:29 AM »

I also wanted to mention the addition of the Ducati Performance Spaghetti headers a few months after the engine work.  The design was intended to equalize the flow from each cylinder to the mufflers.  These definitely helped the engine feel smoother and rev faster. With the extra power the engine needed the increased exhaust flow.  You can see what the headers looked like here.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=49061.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:42:42 AM by Travman » Logged
Travman

« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »

Finally, I did add a Lithium ion battery.  With the extra compression the bike does have some trouble starting mainly in the cold weather.  My Monster never was a good starter in the cold. It was worse with the compression bumped up to about 12:1.  This battery has increased cold starting capabilities and weighs a lot less than a regular battery.  Also upgraded the starter wires and ground wire. The jury is still out on this one. I think it is a success, but i haven't had a chance to test it out for very long.  Over Christmas I did have trouble starting it again at about 32 degrees F. However I was able to hook up the fast charger and start the bike 15 minutes later.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:10:17 AM by Travman » Logged
Curmudgeon

« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

Which battery did you use? My 796 is a dodgy cold starter and @ 11.5:1 I believe I have a CCA issue with the stock battery. When I leave it on the charger a while, cold starting definitely improves. Which cables too BTW?

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Travman

« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »

Which battery did you use? My 796 is a dodgy cold starter and @ 11.5:1 I believe I have a CCA issue with the stock battery. When I leave it on the charger a while, cold starting definitely improves. Which cables too BTW?
It is a Full Spectrum Power.  I think it was a Pulse P3.  I didn't do a bit of research on this purchase.  I trusted my parts guy on this one (Nate at DucPond, Winchester, VA).    http://fullspectrumpower.com/products_pulse.html

The cables were just fabbed up with larger wire and better contacts.  They do this for lots of their Ducatis.  Evidently we aren't the only two with cold starting problems. Grin
Curmudgeon

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation!

If I'm able to confirm my diagnosis, I'll take this route. Better start buying lottery tickets.  Wink Agreed, Nate is very helpful and I'd trust his input. He's already come through for me twice and is pretty reasonable. Wish he and Donnie weren't 140 miles from me! DNA wants Donnie to take a bunch of readings stone cold and for that I'd need to borrow a trailer again. Grrr... I'd just as soon he pull the bodywork off this beast too. More fasteners than a 777 to get to that battery! Wink

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Raux
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation!

If I'm able to confirm my diagnosis, I'll take this route. Better start buying lottery tickets.  Wink Agreed, Nate is very helpful and I'd trust his input. He's already come through for me twice and is pretty reasonable. Wish he and Donnie weren't 140 miles from me! DNA wants Donnie to take a bunch of readings stone cold and for that I'd need to borrow a trailer again. Grrr... I'd just as soon he pull the bodywork off this beast too. More fasteners than a 777 to get to that battery! Wink

did you read the tech section about oil level solving the cold start problem?
Curmudgeon

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »

did you read the tech section about oil level solving the cold start problem?

Thanks, Raux,

For what it's worth, my oil level is in the middle of the sight glass. This isn't my first Ducati.  Wink

Tried to explain to the newbie that a 796 has almost zip to do with a 696. The cold start strategy in the ECU is apparently completely different. There is no fast idle lever, the compression is almost 1.3:1 higher, and the starter circuit will not permit you to crank the bike if it doesn't fire immediately. In the case of mine, some parameter isn't being reached based on either cranking speed or voltage or...

It would appear, but remains to be confirmed with more cycles, that the 215 CCA Yuasa battery will start the bike first try if the battery is charged for ~ 1/2 past full charge on the tender and the tender is left attached when first starting. Otherwise, the tricks for the M1100 seem to mostly work.

BTW, I have two V8's in the garage, one with a Bosch and one with a SAGEM ecu and neither will fire unless the cranking speed is ~ <700 RPM for 3-5 seconds after which the injectors are allowed to fire. My issue is something similar with the 796. (Not my first dance with ECU's, including Siemens. Sold $$$ vehicles for 40 years before retiring 3 years ago.)

PS - Hope the kid's 696 was just his oil level. He needs to put some miles on that thing. I got the impression he thinks it's a iPhone! Wink

Regards,

Ohm3d

« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »

Great thread.! waytogo
motolocopat

« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »

Real nice job there Travman!  You should post up some photos of the bike.

What piston options are there for going 1123cc+ now days on a DS
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: