Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 03:10:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General S2R question...  (Read 2241 times)
Jonathan

« on: April 28, 2015, 05:35:56 AM »

There seems to be a lot of threads about the S2R, or maybe it's my imagination? I love mine. Was this model just produced in large enough numbers to warrant more threads, is it trouble prone or do its owners just use the Internet more?

Other than regular maintenance is there anything to watch out for? This is my first Duc and I bought the 2005 bike with 480 miles.
EEL

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »

I sold my S2R 800 with 47000 miles. In that time, it never leaked a drop of oil, burnt a drop of oil,  and never left me on the side of the road. I'd let it sit for months in the winter without a trickle charger and stale fuel and it would still start up. I put the most aggressive performance mods (pods combined with boomtubes) and it started up on the first crank every time without complaint.

After 47000 the stock clutch plates were still good (Proof below from 2011)

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=50675.0

What else can you ask for?

corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »

I'm sitting here trying to think about all the problems I've had with mine... and there's only been two that weren't my fault.
I've had it since 2007, and only put a measly 8,000m on the clock... In that time:

- Transmission locked up in second gear, had to have a tow and a dealership fix
- Fuel pump cut out on me the other day, but it's back... but the problem needs solved still.
- On occasion I've been getting a small oil drip from the filter area.

There was that time I put my battery in backwards and fried the starting circuit in my ECU.... but we won't let Ducati take the blame on that one....  bang head

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »

I'm sitting here trying to think about all the problems I've had with mine... and there's only been two that weren't my fault.
I've had it since 2007, and only put a measly 8,000m on the clock... In that time:

- Transmission locked up in second gear, had to have a tow and a dealership fix
- Fuel pump cut out on me the other day, but it's back... but the problem needs solved still.
- On occasion I've been getting a small oil drip from the filter area.

There was that time I put my battery in backwards and fried the starting circuit in my ECU.... but we won't let Ducati take the blame on that one....  bang head

Tighten your filter and scratch that off the list too.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »

Tighten your filter and scratch that off the list too.

Haha yep!
My strap wrench broke lol... I'm just not meant to ride this year i think...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »

Mine is an acid yellow model (the BEST) and have had it since it was brand new in 2005.  Never had any serious issues with it except for the expanding tank and a failed tach needle.

Everything else has just been regular old maintenance.

Mine leaks about 1 drop every week.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »

Its because its the best looking first gen monster no fridge or plumbing SSS dry clutch  waytogo

My S2R1000 is coming up on 50 k still running as well as the day I got it  Evil
Nothing to report here just all the consumables replaced nothing broke or failed .

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:33:58 PM by Two dogs » Logged
EEL

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:43 AM »

There seems to be a lot of threads about the S2R, or maybe it's my imagination? I love mine. Was this model just produced in large enough numbers to warrant more threads, is it trouble prone or do its owners just use the Internet more?

One thing to note as to why this is possibly the case. These models were a bit simpler to modify than the newer models. Less overall complication, less clutter and better access to the bikes make them an easier target for tweaking.

Working on my new 1100 EVO has taught me this in comparison to my old S2R 800. Its amazing how "packed" the new bikes are with wiring, interconnects and accessories.

Of course, those owners of the original carbed monsters are probably saying the same thing about the newer FI generation. laughingdp
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:14:29 AM by EEL » Logged
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

True dat, especially the carby guys with motogadget goodies. I can't help but look at my haynes manual wiring schematic and shake my head. All I can think is "is all that s*!t really necessary?" and then I think about how I over-complicated everything I ever did to it and have to go have a beer.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
Stuka Pilot

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »

I bought my S2R1K new in Sept 07 and traded it for a M1200 in Sept 14. The only problem was a battery that gave  up after 5 years.

Great machine - enjoy! drink
motolocopat

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:16:41 AM »

S2R1K's rock
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: