Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 02:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailchop Bracket Schematic...  (Read 27032 times)
minnesotamonster

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:20 PM »

Thanks! I have to redo my bracket since I accidentally made a few extra holes in it and forgot to paint it. It's starting to surface rust already. If we end up going for a ride tomorrow, I'll show you how I made mine and give you a chunk of the metal I used (I still have a lot left)   waytogo

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »

Well, I've made my bracket, but I messed up.  I didn't need turn signals, so I accidentally left out the ENTIRE tab assembly (even the part the brake light attaches to!)

I am using 16 gauge steel, which is a major $@&* to cut.   I don't really want to start over... so I bought some corner brackets from Home Depot and am going to give them a try. 

Also, the schematic implies that there is a 14cm distance between the top two bolts (that bolt on to the frame).  My '01 has a much shorter distance between the bolts... so I need to make a couple more holes. Smiley

Thanks for the schematic though... if I wasn't such a noob, and if I had looked at MN Monster's first, it probably would have come out really nice.   It still has a chance though, since all of that junk is hidden under the seat!

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »

Thanks! I have to redo my bracket since I accidentally made a few extra holes in it and forgot to paint it. It's starting to surface rust already. If we end up going for a ride tomorrow, I'll show you how I made mine and give you a chunk of the metal I used (I still have a lot left)   waytogo

Just sand it down and repaint  waytogo

El Matador

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

Well, I've made my bracket, but I messed up.  I didn't need turn signals, so I accidentally left out the ENTIRE tab assembly (even the part the brake light attaches to!)

I am using 16 gauge steel, which is a major $@&* to cut.   I don't really want to start over... so I bought some corner brackets from Home Depot and am going to give them a try. 

Also, the schematic implies that there is a 14cm distance between the top two bolts (that bolt on to the frame).  My '01 has a much shorter distance between the bolts... so I need to make a couple more holes. Smiley

Thanks for the schematic though... if I wasn't such a noob, and if I had looked at MN Monster's first, it probably would have come out really nice.   It still has a chance though, since all of that junk is hidden under the seat!

I made all of mine from 16 gauge as well.

The best way to get the bends perfect without using a brake is actually achieved by using a dremel.

Basically, you just "trace" a fine line with your cutting wheel where you want the bend to be. Be careful not to remove too much material, because you will have to start again from scratch. remove just enough so that there is a very shallow groove.

Afterward, either put the piece in a vise and hammer away, or drill your mounting holes and mount it to a piece of 2x4. Screw it into the 2x4 with the piece just hanging off at the point where you want the bend to be and that you've previously ""traced" with the cutting wheel.

The bend should then be a lot easier to make.

Hope that helped  waytogo

El Matador

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »

I also have a full walk-through explaining step by step how to actually do the tail chop

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

looks like ill need to make one of these... i just lost $130 bucks to the big man.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
El Matador

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »

looks like ill need to make one of these... i just lost $130 bucks to the big man.

Damn that make the beast with two backsing sucks. I think I might have one of these lying around  in my house. I'll let you know.

filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »

Yeowch.

Well, the good news is that my second effort went almost 4x as fast as my first. I don't need turn signals and I'm going to use my existing Evoluzione license plate bracket, so I modified the design slightly.

I learned a couple tricks, also, when cutting/drilling steel:

1) Crank up the RPM on the Dremel to 8-10k and the metal cutting wheel works a hell of a lot better.
2) When drilling, start the hole with a Dremel cutting tool, then use a cobalt drill bit to cut out the rest.

I'm a noob, so I found this info to be valuable. You may not. Smiley

I am now close to hacksawing my bike... just need to sand and paint the license plate bracket and then do some wiring.

Here's a pic:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:38:20 PM by filter » Logged

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
El Matador

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »

Good work. Instead of a hacksaw I reccomend a tube cutter, it is much more precise than a hacksaw and a lot more difficult to mess up. I think I saw some going for 15 bucks not so long ago

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

you and your silly miniture tools.

nothing beats a $5000 bender! Ill come up with a design tonight, got some 18 gauge left over.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
El Matador

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »

Yeowch.

1) Crank up the RPM on the Dremel to 8-10k and the metal cutting wheel works a hell of a lot better.
2) When drilling, start the hole with a Dremel cutting tool, then use a cobalt drill bit to cut out the rest.

I'm a noob, so I found this info to be valuable. You may not. Smiley

An even better tip for drilling. Get a punch and punch out the hole first. It's the best thing for accuracy and ease of drilling

El Matador

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »

you and your silly miniture tools.

nothing beats a $5000 bender! Ill come up with a design tonight, got some 18 gauge left over.

bang head

I hate you so much

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »

i made one specifically for integrated lights, but theres a huge gap where u can jimmy the seat. lol there used to be blinkers there. not sure what to do. ill post up pics later, its only version 1, i had to make something up so i can ride tomorrow.
its basically looks like this

_/\_____

where the left _ hooks onto the frame. the /\ is actually folded onto itself and the lights mount onto, and the ____ is bent down about -130 degrees, velcro license plate! and its got some slits in it for wires and what not. looks pretty cool! but though im going to have to rebuild it. since its made of steel, my brake light is always on since its conducting. lol

ill currently just have a few pieces of electric tape covering the steel to insulate it. LOL

Ghetto>

Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

I broke my beer tray while on a group ride the other day  snip

Broke your beer tray?  What did you do?? Minnesotamonster Crush!!

I have the shittiest of shitty digicams so I'm working on getting some decent images of my chop.  I dig the shotty shells.  I couldn't find any plugs at the hardware store so I just ended up using 3/4" copper plumbing caps PCed black, but they turned out pretty well.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
El Matador

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »

I have good and bad news.

The first, and hopefully, last Chipo Tail Chop was crash tested on tuesday.

A little background: the bike highsided and somersaulted onto some rocks. A lot of the impact was absorbed by the right hand side can, rear frame, and tail chop bracket.

Here are the pics of the aftermath:

The bracket held up fantastically, you wouldn't even know it had taken any damage if it wasn't for the license plate  bacon

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: