Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 04:46:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 620, what to look for?  (Read 11428 times)
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »

There are ways around not having the red key.

I believe Motogpfan found a way when he bought his trashed multistrada which became Ducati's Motard (note: that is opinion, not any facts to back it up).

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
teddy037.2
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »

There are ways around not having the red key.

I believe Motogpfan found a way when he bought his trashed multistrada which became Ducati's Motard (note: that is opinion, not any facts to back it up).

complete aftermarket swap was the other option when Mac had his 999, but going the DP route still had problems...
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 05:15:13 AM »

It was a wise man indeed, who stated,

"better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I think it has been well established, again, you may, or may not, ever need a red key.

popcorn

Oh - I'm a democrat, and yup, there are plenty who think me a fool.
acemoney

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

"better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I think it has been well established, again, you may, or may not, ever need a red key.

i like removing all doubt. and yes it has been VERY WELL established that "you may or may not need it".....but what i'm trying to establish is that only 1/10 of 1% will ever need it, meaning that it's more important to install a lightning rod on your bike because you have a better chance of getting hit with lightning while riding than ever using the red key.... MAKING THE KEY NOT AS IMPORTANT as people make it out to be.
Syscrush

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 04:46:57 AM »

God this thread got stupid.

We got the bike, with 2 black keys, the red key, and the code card.  The original owner was very meticulous - even had the OEM riser bolts in a ziploc bag inside a bubblewrap envelope. Smiley

The original owner also had a 2-piece Dainese leather suit which fit my wife, so we scored a good deal on that, too.  The bike looks great and she's very happy with both purchases - looking forward to putting some serious miles on it in the spring.  We have a few nice pics but they all have her on the bike and reading the way that this thread has gone off the rails, there's no way I'm posting pics of my wife on here.  Wink

As for the red key - this is a personal issue - some will be comfortable without having it, knowing that it's only needed in rare circumstances.  Others will refuse to buy a bike that has what's effectively a self-destruct feature if the override/revive mechanism isn't provided.  Then some others will resort to non-sequiturs about party affiliation, name calling, and general assaholism.  Personally, I'm in the 2nd camp, but wouldn't argue/fight with someone in the first camp, or waste my time on someone in the third.

Thanks to all who provided helpful information!
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 04:56:20 AM »

congrats on the 620  waytogo
i've got an '05 that i adore.

please don't be soured by the way this thread went... it's not typical.

if your wife is into it, send her over to the women's section of the forum,
we need more ladies on here Smiley

have fun with the 620  [moto]
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 05:10:51 AM »

We got the bike, with 2 black keys, the red key, and the code card.  The original owner was very meticulous - even had the OEM riser bolts in a ziploc bag inside a bubblewrap envelope. Smiley

The original owner also had a 2-piece Dainese leather suit which fit my wife, so we scored a good deal on that, too.  The bike looks great and she's very happy with both purchases - looking forward to putting some serious miles on it in the spring.  We have a few nice pics but they all have her on the bike and reading the way that this thread has gone off the rails, there's no way I'm posting pics of my wife on here.  Wink

As for the red key - this is a personal issue - some will be comfortable without having it, knowing that it's only needed in rare circumstances.  Others will refuse to buy a bike that has what's effectively a self-destruct feature if the override/revive mechanism isn't provided.  Then some others will resort to non-sequiturs about party affiliation, name calling, and general assaholism.  Personally, I'm in the 2nd camp, but wouldn't argue/fight with someone in the first camp, or waste my time on someone in the third.

So it wasn't just me that thought that? Wink

Congrats on the purchase. I hope your wife has fun with it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Dave R

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »

First off, sounds like a great deal on the used Monster!  Congrats!

for the rest of you, here is a full description of how the immobilizer system was designed to function I found using Google  Wink   
http://www.ducatiwiki.net/index.php?title=Immobilizer_Description_and_Specifications_Manual

Until the last few years no one was able to copy key codes and the only option was to use your red key or replace all the associated components.  Yes there are some options nowadays.   I will caution those who do have a red key.  If you run a DP ECU in your bike and the red key is ever used it will marry the ECU to your immobilizer.  If this never happens the DP ECU could be used in another bike.   The original ECU's are married to the immobilizer at the factory, pretty much turns them into paper weights.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:22:48 PM by Dave R » Logged

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
Raux
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

Dave,

please clarify how the new monsters work with the ECUs. if someone has mounted the DP ECU how do they mate up the gauges and keys.. AND if they sell they DP ECU.. how does someone else use it?
is the new immobilizer without the red key different? do you need the code card to be able to use someone else's DP ECU?

Dave R

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »

no need to mate the DP ECU, plug and play.  Red key will permanently marry it.

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
rule62

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

Can't I just paint one of my black keys, red? 
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

The bike looks great and she's very happy with both purchases - looking forward to putting some serious miles on it in the spring. 

all 3 of those things are really the most important.  Glad it all worked out for you.

regards,
Andy

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Syscrush

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

Can't I just paint one of my black keys, red? 
Yes.  Smiley
acemoney

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 08:10:36 PM »

really? is that what you tell all people who try to answer YOUR questions?

no problem, it was my pleasure
Syscrush

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 03:05:13 AM »

really? is that what you tell all people who try to answer YOUR questions?
Yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: