Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 10:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 620, what to look for?  (Read 11431 times)
Syscrush

« on: September 09, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »

My wife and I are going to check out a 2006 620 with about 14,000km on the odo. From the photos it looks to be in immaculate shape. So I have 2 questions:

1) Are there any particular weak spots, TSB's, or other specific items we should look for on this bike?

2) Who makes nice frame sliders for this bike at a reasonable price?  I found the Motovation sliders, they look good at least in terms of the mounting (through-bolt that goes through the motor & frame, like my beloved Motosliders on my SV).

If I can score it for $6000 CDN it seems to me that would be an amazing deal. I'm guessing that at $6500 it would still make a lot of sense.

Any info or advice is much appreciated.  But mainly I want to be talked into buying this bike! Smiley
teddy037.2
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:15:37 AM »

plastic tank and it's set of... issues... if the first thing that comes to mind.

otherwise just make sure it's in good shape, etc.  what's the blue book in your area for that year/milage?

re:sliders, I believe speedymoto are the popular ones, and I am a fan of the hideously ugly cyclecats  Cheesy
Shifty
Girls compliment my

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »

I just bought my '05 620 a few weeks ago with 16,500 km on the odometer for $4300 CAN (converted from US for your comparison's sake). I figured it to be a steal despite needing a front tire and having a small oil leak from the left cover. It's been great, no problems and runs perfect, but it will need a chain soon as it doesn't look like it was cared for very well. Also bear in mind there is a 12,000 mile service which includes valve adjustment and such... I was quoted $700+ US for this from my local dealer. So I got the bike for $1000 under book, but I'll end up having that much in it once she's all up to snuff.

Basically I'm saying be sure all her services are up to date, and be sure to take any overdue services off the asking price. Good luck with the bike, you guys will love it!  waytogo
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:55:27 AM by Shifty » Logged

'04 Monster S4R, Ferracci Titanium exhaust, Paulimoto clutch, Power Commander, Ohlins damper.

kingbaby

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »

You guys should combine this & the buying used thread together.

Shifty,  Good points for sure.  waytogo

it all equals less money in your checking account.

Make good decisions (The ones that work out for YOU).

I promise to make better mistakes tomorrow.
teddy037.2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »

duh!  bang head

FULL set of keys (at least one black, AND the red key) and code card for immobilizer!
acemoney

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:24:36 PM »

duh!  bang head

FULL set of keys (at least one black, AND the red key) and code card for immobilizer!

i bought a 06' 620 dark with 2500 miles with carbon leo vince cans for $4500 (i was very happy)

everyone freaks about a red key...but....from what i hear and told is that noone has ever needed or used a red key and it's just an "incase" and i still have never heard a story of a red key saving the day. anyone have a PERSONAL story of using a red key? (not a i heard from a guy who talked to a guy who's cousin brothers sister once used one)
kingbaby

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »

i bought a 06' 620 dark with 2500 miles with carbon leo vince cans for $4500 (i was very happy)

everyone freaks about a red key...but....from what i hear and told is that noone has ever needed or used a red key and it's just an "incase" and i still have never heard a story of a red key saving the day. anyone have a PERSONAL story of using a red key? (not a i heard from a guy who talked to a guy who's cousin brothers sister once used one)

I almost quoted my own post, but figured this was the important one.

I've been Parts/Service MGR & Dealership GM, and will only tell you that if you have a FI bike (pre 08) & don't have all your keys & cards, you, or the next owner are going to eventually be very disappointed.

Edit:  06...with 2500 miles?  When did you buy it?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:30:16 PM by kingbaby » Logged

teddy037.2
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »

we (as users) don't use the red key.

but the red key is handy for your ducati tech...
Syscrush

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »

What's an immobilizer card?
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »

Immobilizer is supposed to prevent an unauthorized key from starting the bike.
Card has a code that can be used to override the immobilizer, procedure in the owners manual.
The ECU can be reflashed to disable the immobilizer, for a fee.

05 M620 14Kmiles
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »

I use speedy-moto frame sliders.  It has saved my bike twice from a 0 mph tip over.  Worth every penny.

I have almost 40K miles on her (200 miles more to reach 40K   waytogo ) .  I have had about 3 valve maintenance work , engine bore kit upgrade , fork oil change etc done and never needed the red key so far.

Just have the service maintenance - valve, belts , oil and chain and hopefully you should be good to go.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
kingbaby

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »

I use speedy-moto frame sliders.  It has saved my bike twice from a 0 mph tip over.  Worth every penny.

I have almost 40K miles on her (200 miles more to reach 40K   waytogo ) .  I have had about 3 valve maintenance work , engine bore kit upgrade , fork oil change etc done and never needed the red key so far.

Just have the service maintenance - valve, belts , oil and chain and hopefully you should be
 good to go.

It's like buying insurance.  It's not worth a shit til you need it,right?

I am impressed you have an opinion & actually have some miles on your bike. 
What year is it?

acemoney

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »

we (as users) don't use the red key.

but the red key is handy for your ducati tech...

handy how? what does the tech NEED it for? i heard (which might be bad info) that all work and or maintance does not need a red key.

p.s. i still have not heard a first hand story of someone USING ONE.
acemoney

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »

and will only tell you that if you have a FI bike (pre 08) & don't have all your keys & cards, you, or the next owner are going to eventually be very disappointed.

Edit:  06...with 2500 miles?  When did you buy it?

could you please translate, because your answer seems to just be another person claiming you need it but don't state a REASON WHY. or is it a big secret you can't release to the public and just that people will "eventually be very disappointed".

bought it 6/08
kingbaby

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »

could you please translate, because your answer seems to just be another person claiming you need it but don't state a REASON WHY. or is it a big secret you can't release to the public and just that people will "eventually be very disappointed".

bought it 6/08
The red key is not needed in everyday riding, but is needed to recode new keys or new components like gauges and ecu. Without coding the immobiliser kicks in and the bike won't start or run.
So, if it needs gauges changed for instance because of a fault, the new gauges can't be coded without the red key and the bike won't run. Likewise if you lose the key you have. You will be advised to buy new gauges, ignition and ECU together, with a new key set, and the bill will be well into four figures.
The only alternative would be all aftermarket.  And let me know how that goes.
 I'm building a custom bike now with it. funny part...it hates the FI still.

Anything else?

My two 999's & M1000Senna haven't needed any gauges, ECU's or keys.  My 2 1098's don't need them so I guess I'm clueless.    I've just run dealerships...what could I know,right?

I do hope that helps, it was a great question and am surprised no one else chimed in.

It must be a conspiracy. Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: