Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 06, 2024, 11:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: LED signals w/o resistors, pre immodilizer monsters  (Read 4028 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« on: September 05, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »

*This is applicable for PRE immobilizer Monsters only. If you do not have a flasher relay under the seat this info isn't for you.

Problem:
Without resistors, all 4 turn signals light up. Adding resistors in parallel solves that issue, but adds complication to the wiring harness and they generate heat when in use so they have the potential to damage delicate components

To solve this, you'll need:
Badlands 'Metric Flash Pro' flash relay and load balancer
3 Male side 'blade' connectors
2 1N400x series diodes. X can be any number from 1-7, available at Radio shack or similar
8mm Deep well socket
Shrink tube/Electrical tape
Soldering gear
Wire snips/strippers
Allen keys and screw drivers.

If you have or wish to install LEDs on your monster - you're probably resigned to needing to wire a set of resistors in parallel to prevent the 4-way flash and using a different relay to control the blink rate. The good news is, we can ditch the resistors - though a different relay is needed.

Chormo2001 and IndustrialGrrrl lead me to the Badlands 'Metric Flash Pro' unit, availible at CA Cycleworks.

This gizmo is designed to act as a flasher relay and load balancer - in most instances it works great as a plug n play.  But of course ducs are special...

The Badlands unit comes with unterminated wires.  Install a male blade connector on each of the 3 wires on the Badlands unit so you can plug right into your stock harness.  Badlands  supplies  crimp on wire taps, but it's easier and cleaner to install by using the blade connectors. Beyond that, follow the supplied instructions to install it.

At this point, if you have LEDs installed on all 4 corners, and no resistors, all 4 signals will illuminate.  If you've get a set of incandescent signals - you're done.

Fixing the 4 way.
1. Remove the dash and disassemble it.

2. Locate the wires for the signal indicator light of the dash. On my 900, they were White-black and White-green

3. Cut both at about 1/2 their length.

4. On the sections that run back back to the main harness, solder 1 diode to each wire.  *REMEMBER* diodes are directional.  There will be a marker band that needs to be pointed towards the indicator bulb. be sure to tape or shrink wrap each side at this point to prevent shorts.

5. Connect both the diodes to 1 of the leads running to the indicator bulb. You're forming a Y at this point. Again tape or shrink tube this connection

6. Run your new ground. Locate the cluster of black wires in the rest of the dash cluster. There will be 5 or 6 run together and held with a crimp in the middle that's been covered with a shrink tube. Once you remove the shrink tube, you'll see that crimp.  This is the perfect spot to solder the other lead coming from the indicator, to ground the circuit. Of course, tape up when done.

7. Close up your dash.

To sum up, you've now made a 2-to-1 connection coming from the bike to the indicator bulb and tied the extra wire from the indicator bulb to the main common ground.

Now if you've done this all correctly all you need to do is reinstall the dash and the 4-way flash will be resolved.  No more resistors to clutter up your bike.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »

hey Yuu,

thanks for posting this. I wish this thread had been here when I was doing my indicators!  chug

Any chance of posting some pics? Or some pics? Maybe a couple of pics? <-- hint  laughingdp

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »

I was short on time and hot to get this done, so I didn't shoot photos of the in dash stuff - but I could shoot some other stuff. Anything in particular you want to see?

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: