Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 379733 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #975 on: March 15, 2019, 03:38:50 AM »

I don't use spray cans. The stuff that's generally in them is stuff we stopped using in the 70's...enamel without activators. It's not durable at all until it dries for about a month at 70 F. At that point it will still stain, and yellow, from fuel.

Shoulda used the 2K urethane. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #976 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »

I don't use spray cans. The stuff that's generally in them is stuff we stopped using in the 70's...enamel without activators. It's not durable at all until it dries for about a month at 70 F. At that point it will still stain, and yellow, from fuel.

Shoulda used the 2K urethane. Wink

I had that sinking feeling as I was spraying the fender after spending some time sanding; this is what I thought you'd say. Was looking to apply a product that would be gas and break fluid resist to a fender as gas and break fluid is right there.

Tongue ... after a little fretting ... not to belabour the point; but, its important to get the right product & performance! So for others to beware.

Thought the Dupli-color acrylic enamel clear would have been gas resistant at the least; according to Dupli-color product support, turns out not gas resistant and it doesn't indicate this on the product info that I read thoroughly on the can!; what a colossal waste of time! bang head; I'll do a little test tonight with gas but don't have any hope. 

Would a synthetic paint sealer (wax) protect the acrylic enamel clear & lacquer paint from gas? Or the other alternative is to reapply  2 part activated urethane.

Can a 2 part activated urethane (ie 2K urethane) or poly-urethane go over the liquor cleared with acrylic enamel without too much problem? and protect the works?

.... all the world is yours.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »

You can apply 2K over enamel, but wait at least 30 days, preferably longer, to avoid the hot solvents in the 2K from wrinkling the enamel.

If it wrinkles, you don't have any option but to strip the part.

Wax works...a little...for gas, but no paint will stand up to brake fluid left on the surface. 2K's will not be affected, once fully cured, if you wipe the fluid off soon.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

CookieMonster
me like twisties NOM NOM NOM!

Mone Rone

« Reply #978 on: May 22, 2019, 02:41:15 AM »

Hello,

Due to my tank expanding and contracting throughout its life, it has made the stripes get stretch marks and bubble up at some places (I popped the bubble so it’s not as bad as before). I want to wrap my tank to give it a fresh look, I know decals under a wrap will show so:
1. How can I remove the stripes
2. Can the tank be wrapped with one piece?

"Friend don't let friends ride stock"
-S2R1k 992 DESMO LIFE
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #979 on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:22 AM »

The stripes are under the clear. Unless you sand, and re-prime, after you remove the stripes. It will show even more.

The stripes/decals can be peeled off after sanding the clear from the surface.

No idea if it can be wrapped with one piece.

perspective

CookieMonster

Mone Rone

« Reply #980 on: May 22, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »

The stripes are under the clear. Unless you sand, and re-prime, after you remove the stripes. It will show even more.

The stripes/decals can be peeled off after sanding the clear from the surface.

No idea if it can be wrapped with one piece.

I think I’m gonna sand just enough to be able to peel the stripes off, blend the clear coat edges left by the stripes and leave the letters on so when I wrap it they show through. Gonna try it during the off season. Wish me luck! 😬

-S2R1k 992 DESMO LIFE
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #981 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »

I think I’m gonna sand just enough to be able to peel the stripes off, blend the clear coat edges left by the stripes and leave the letters on so when I wrap it they show through. Gonna try it during the off season. Wish me luck! 😬
That'll work.

The wrap will hide any scratches left by the feather edging.

Post some pics when you do it. waytogo

perspective

CookieMonster

Mone Rone

« Reply #982 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

That'll work.

The wrap will hide any scratches left by the feather edging.

Post some pics when you do it. waytogo
Will do! 😁

-S2R1k 992 DESMO LIFE
Langanobob

« Reply #983 on: September 02, 2019, 09:18:48 PM »

A friend who was a very Serious Hobbyist passed away several years ago.  His wife is still disposing of all his stuff.  He had a good collection of about 8 or 9 spray guns, most of them old school suction type (not gravity feed HVLP), some good quality, some not.  He also had a pressure pot.   His wife says they are mine if I want  them.  Are the older guns and a pressure  pot of much use these days?  Environmental issues aren’t an issue, they’d only be used for more hobbyist projects, not a commercial shop.  Thanks.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #984 on: September 03, 2019, 01:47:49 AM »

They're good for primer, if nothing else.

A pressure pot can come in handy, especially for large jobs. PITA to clean. however.

perspective

Langanobob

« Reply #985 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »

Thanks DP,  I’ll add them to my own collection.
Twoboys911

« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »

I make my living as a painter.

At some point I'll write up a how to, but in the meanwhile I'd be happy to field questions to get you started in the right direction so ask them here if you like.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »

Do you have a question?

perspective

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #988 on: November 18, 2020, 06:25:51 AM »

I just got my forks back from Traxxion, and I'm impressed by the job they did with the finish work. I got a nice medium gray anodizing on the upper tubes and gold TiN on the inner tubes. Looks much better now for the S4RT. Except that they put these YUGE stickers on which of course I'll need to remove (hope they don't get offended). I'm hoping the AK20 cartridges they installed function as good as these forks now look.

But there's a problem. The finish on the lowers, that kind of dark brownish gray (Showa), kinda flaked off in spots, I assume from cleaning and handling. This lets the splendid job they did with the rest of the finish down. So I will need to hit the lowers with some satin black before I reinstall the forks. I'm sure people have done this very thing many times before, but I have not. Actually this is my first push for decent suspension on any bike I've had.

I'd like some recommendations on the paint. Satin black, needs to be durable. I was thinking about SprayMax 2k Hot Rod Black Satin in the rattlecan. Ducpainter you know best. Is this acceptable or do you have a better recommendation? I don't have spray equipment, and a 2 part paint is what I think would yield the best results. Also would I need to prime this and if so, what primer? Thanks

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #989 on: November 18, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

The SprayMax product is 2K, meaning two component, in an aerosol can, so it should fit the bill for durability.

You'll need to feather out the edges of the chips/flaking/peeling. This will invariably cause you to sand through so priming is necessary. I'd recommend an epoxy for adhesion to aluminum. You should be able to find the same type of 2K epoxy aerosol.

https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/primer-primer-filler/2k-epoxy-primer-1/    ...get black it will cover easier, and if you do suffer a chip, it won't show.

My main concern with aluminum is it should be etched before priming. Aluminum can corrode in a very short period of time when exposed to the atmosphere. You can't see it right away, but it's there. The etching puts a coating on the aluminum to prevent this.

The product most often used is Alodine, now Bonderite. Alodine had chromates in it, and those have been banned. If you don't use it will the job fail? Eventually, yes, but soon enough for you to care? Hard to say. The epoxy will mitigate the problem, somewhat, due to it's superior adhesion and anti corrosion properties. If you decide not to etch...sand, wash with a non water based product, dry, and prime immediately.

Follow label directions on the epoxy primer as far as how long to wait for topcoating. It can be done, typically, withing 30-60 minutes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143410790130

ETA...had an afterthought...be careful when bleeding brakes, especially when the paint is fresh. Brake fluid will blister cured paint when left in contact, and will mar fresh paint with just incidental contact.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:59:01 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: