Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 05:47:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to run a different (then stock) front fender. Post what ya got !  (Read 5198 times)
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:19 AM »

Must say man, I'm in love with your bike. Not only dose it look cool as hell sans front and rear fenders but the backdrops you put it against really bring the details out!
In the process of street fightering out my 99' 900ss and wanted to know how/where you blacked out your upper fork tubes. It's the only thing that has been bugging my about blacking out the rest of the frame and still having these blazingly silver forks.
Thanks for the kind words. My bike is really nothing more than some stock parts coated black, and lots of hours of staring at it seeing what I can ditch to make the overall bike look "cleaner"...

As far as my blacked out fork tubes go, they are powdercoated along with the rest of the black bits on the bike.
My buddy does custom powdercoating here in the burbs of Chicago HTTP://WWW.THEPOWDERPRO.COM, so when he said he would coat my parts I gave him EVERYTHING. Allot of people said to not powdercoat the fork tubes becasue it would be a pregnant dog to get thru the triple tree's, but some time (and keeping the tree's open with a clothes pin) got the fork tubes thru without messing them up. Only have two little scratches which you can barely see. Plus it's nice to have everything on the bike the with the same coating/color/finish/etc. The swingarm matches the forks which match the controls and so on. Still a bunch of stuff to black out on the bike, but the major things are done (exhaust/powdercoat/etc).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:36:45 AM by ProTeal55 » Logged

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

i think a st4 front fender with "vents" cut out on each side to air it up would look perfect on your bike. add some pc'd mesh in there to go along with theme..

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »

I couldn't fault LT Snyder's logic regarding protection of the slider surface, and went with a **8 superbike front fender.  Bolts right up (to a 2003 M800) and no worries about rock divots.  Sorry, no pic, I can get one if you're interested.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 09:01:42 AM »

i think a st4 front fender
?

Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 09:34:16 AM »

?

you know the Ducati St4 , don't you? It was a touring oriented Ducati, there were 2 generations between 98 and 04. there were a couple different engine configurations mated to the frame, a 2v and a 4v, known as St2 and St4. The St4s was equiped with the usual Ohlins goodies, etc...

Either way, the front fender with a triangular cut out on each side ie:
and

Q
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:37:06 AM by Qfactor » Logged

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 10:39:43 PM »

Mine with a 999 fender on it.

DarkStaR

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 11:07:14 PM »

you know the Ducati St4 , don't you? It was a touring oriented Ducati, there were 2 generations between 98 and 04. there were a couple different engine configurations mated to the frame, a 2v and a 4v, known as St2 and St4.
Q

...and the ST3.

ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 06:00:12 AM »

What all did you have to do to get that mounted up ?
From the pics looks like the mounting is abit different than the stock Monster setup..

erik822

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:55 AM »

With a fender like this one, with a back half that is barely there, do you actually get any more rain protection than riding with no front fender at all?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »

With a fender like this one, with a back half that is barely there, do you actually get any more rain protection than riding with no front fender at all?
Thats a good question. waytogo
No need to go and get a new fender if it does the same as not running one at all...

truckinduc

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »

Yes it does. The rain water is thrown off the tire at a tangent. then the wind does some odd stuff with it.  That setup, with the stock single round, will still offer good rain protection to the rider.
erik822

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »

Yes it does. The rain water is thrown off the tire at a tangent. then the wind does some odd stuff with it.  That setup, with the stock single round, will still offer good rain protection to the rider.

I haven't ridden much in the rain, so this may be a stupid question.

When you get wet riding, is that primarily from water coming off the front of the tire and then blowing back at you?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »

From the front wheel, yes. From the backwheel, you get swampass.

b.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »

From the pics looks like the mounting is abit different than the stock Monster setup..

It'd take some custom fab to mount this style fender...the Ohlins forks (and 749/999 forks) have a single bolt mounting point in the front and back of the fork bottom, which do away with the plastic "bands" that wrap around the fork bottom.

2005 M620 | so*cal | terapia.
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »

I mounted it when the wheels were off getting painted.
As for rain protection, it isn't any worse than a stock fender.
I got caught a few weeks back, it was a short sharp down pour and I managed to stay pretty dry.
My theory is, if you want to stay dry drive a car. Sometimes your gonna get wet on a bike.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: