Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 04:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: Helmet headsets/ intercoms/ speakers/ communication  (Read 11404 times)
erkishhorde

« on: June 15, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »

This topic has been coming up a lot recently so I thought I'd compile a lot of the threads that I've seen that have (what I feel is) useful information. I've done a fair amount of research on this topic since I was pretty interested in it. I strongly suggest you do your own research though. There is a ton of information floating out there on the web on the Mulistrada, ADVRider, ST, BMW forums.

First things, first... Is it safe to use a headset while riding? Should you really be talking on the phone while riding? Well, do you think it is safe to be talking on the phone while driving? Handsfree or not is not the question, just whether or not you should be talking on the phone while driving? If you said yes, now keep in mind that the bike requires more attention than the car. Now, is it safe to be talking on the phone while riding?

I myself use it primarily for listening to music w/o headphones but have used it to talk on the phone once in a while. The helmet you're using plays a large part in the functionality of the headset. Keep in mind that all of the headsets come with speakers by default. This means you'll need some extra space in your ear pockets for these speakers and this can be a HUGE problem depending on the headset you're using. Speaker placement is critical when it comes to being able to hear the unit. The noise in your helmet factor in a lot too. As a reference, my Shoei X-11 worked pretty well for letting me hear my Scala Q2 (the few times that I used it) but the speakers were almost impossible to fit into the shallow ear pockets. My Scorpion EXO 700, on the other hand, fit the Scala no problem but there was so much wind noise that I couldn't hear squat at 60+mph.

Quick link: webbikeworld reviews of various units

For the most part the information will be presented as follows:

Company name (it's a link to the company website)
Webbikeworld review (I think highly of their reviews and from my own experiences have found them to be relatively accurate)
Board review (Any first hand experience board members have posted if any)
Members with experience with this unit (in case you want to PM anyone and ask specifics)

Summary Comments
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, onto the different types that I've found (as of 6/15/09) in no particular order:

Scala Cardio
Webbikeworld Multiset Q2,  Webbikeworld Q2 review
Board review
erkishhorde, yuu, rkundrat, Paper5tr3et7, danaid

There are a few different flavors of Scala Sets. Primary strengths of this unit are small size, both of the unit and the speakers. This allows the unit to fit easily in most any helmet without much fuss. Seriously, the speakers for this unit are about the size of 2 quarters put back to back. They're definitely the smallest headset speakers around. The unit is also pretty durable but sound quality for music is rather tinny. But all the buttons are easy to press and there aren't many of them so you'll rarely find yourself pushing the wrong thing on accident. One significant (in my opinion) downfall to this unit is no A2DP support (stereo bluetooth). This causes it to incompatible with most MP3 players and some GPS units. Setting up the radio presets can be a nuisance but if you take your time and have a real radio handy it's not so bad.

A new unit has been released called the Q2 Multiset which has an additional stereo jack so that MP3 units can be plugged into the Scala so you can still listen to your tunes. Sadly, bluetooth is still non-A2DP so the cable is the only way to connect your mp3 players but it is supposed to have slightly larger speakers for better audio quality. Apparently there is also a G4 unit in development which will have A2DP support

Blueant Interphone
webbikeworld review
Board review (look for tangueroHondo's comment)
tangueroHondo, VisceralReaction, Sleeper_I, Salamanga7

This was one of webbikeworld's favorite units. The only reason that I didn't get it originally was that it used only a single speaker at the time that I was researching units. I don't know if this has changed. Pros of this unit were supposed to be the audio quality and ease of use. It's got bluetooth 2.0 now and is A2DP compatible. Speakers are also relatively thin. Downfalls of this unit include a fragile mic on the earlier models but this has been fixed now. I've heard that it can only be connected to one device at a time though. Not much a problem though since many phones/ mp3 players can link to each other. Earlier models had only 1 speaker but I think the current model has 2. I've also heard that this unit might not be available anymore.

edit (12/9/09): Just found out that there's a new BlueAnt Interphone called the F4. Don't know anything more about it though. linky

Parrot
no webbikeworld review
Board Review
Mash, Wonked

This unit isn't a bike-to-bike communicator and instead is just for phone/ mp3 use. It's a bit pricey considering that it's a solo unit only. Supposed to be bluetooth 2.0 compatible and all that and even comes with a nifty handlebar remote so that you don't have to let go of the bars to use it. From what I've seen of the unit, the speakers look a little on the big side.

update 8/3/09: Thanks to Wonked for posting a review for this unit. Apparently the Parrott doesn't play well with the iPhone. Streaming music drops in and out and the updated firmware (1.15 from 1.14) caused the iPhone to lose the ability to switch between phone and mp3 player. I'm interested to see how this unit works with other mp3 players.

Chatterbox
no webbikeworld review
Board review (look for Privateer's comment), Board review
Privateer, erkishhorde, Munch

I always thought it was odd that webbikeworld didn't have a review for the chatterbox. *shrug* Anyway, the chatterbox is one of the most popular units. it's also one of the most expensive units. It's been used by enough people to get a variety of + and - statements. To start off with the pros, all models have stereo speakers. It's also got longer range than any of the other helmet communicators. Also, the "transmitter" version Chatterboxes have the ability to talk on channels similar to how a CB radio works so that you can have a whole group of riders talking together. To give it an added advantage, it has many inputs for wired components like mp3 players and radios to add to it's existing capabilities. Cons include large speakers, the unit is big and heavy (except the "intercom" versions listed on their website) and considering how big and heavy the unit is, the mounting clip is very weak. Their VOX option to auto recognize speech and turn on is useless too.

Small note, Chatterbox is the only company to have a headphone adapter. Funny thing though, most of the people that I see using headphones with a chatterbox jury-rigged their own wiring and didn't buy the Chatterbox cable which is like $40.

Camos
webbikeworld review
no board review

Early versions of this unit were difficult to setup and use. The mounting clip was also rather fragile. The connector for the speaker is pretty big too. Not sure how they are now since I haven't found many useful new reviews of them in last 2 years.

Autocom
no webbikeworld review
no board review

I think there might be a couple people around that have this unit. It seems to be rather popular among the BMW/ touring crowd. You'll find lots of links to the Multistrada and ST forums as well as ADVRider. I bought one but found it to be too difficult to fit in my helmet and never used it. The Autocom units are primarily "box-type" units. This means that they use a stand alone box that acts as a hub for all your connectors/ transmitting functions. You WILL have wires going somewhere on you though. The box can either be stuffed in a tank bag, mounted on your bars with other devices, or worn on your belt but you will always have a wire going from the box to your helmet. Many of their versions have inputs for CB radios to allow group chat and whatnot as well. Because of this they have all sorts of fancy quick connect/ release connectors for safety as well as power options. One plus to the box-type devices is that you can hard-wire them to your bike. This keeps you from having to lug it around as well as allows you to ignore recharging the unit. The only thing on your helmet will be the speakers and mic. The downside to this is that you will have a cable tethering you to the bike. Supposedly a fancy quick release cable though.

Starcom1
no webbikeworld review
no board review

I ran across this one in my searches. It sounds like a great unit but is rather pricey. It's also a "box-type" unit. By this I mean that it uses a stand alone box as the hub to plug everything into. The helmet parts like speakers and mic are separate from the transmission box. I THINK that all starcom1 units are wired though, meaning that you're going to have a cable going from your transmitter box to your helmet. See the Autocom blurb for my thoughts on box-type units.

Motocomm Rider Link ST-1
no webbikeworld review
no board review

Another box-type unit that I ran across. The box itself is pretty small and the helmet components are about average size, maybe a bit large. It comes ready for rider to passenger communication and is relatively cheap too. Plug in a radio and now you can talk to other riders.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:33:58 AM by erkishhorde » Logged

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
redial

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »

awesome thread!

i have a parrot unit in my discovery (suv) and it is a quality peice for sure.

not sure if that translates to the bike unit

do you have any opinion on which is the best for listening to music without headphones as the primary use?
erkishhorde

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »

do you have any opinion on which is the best for listening to music without headphones as the primary use?

I haven't used the Blueant, or my chatterbox yet (bike has been in shop) but I'm inclined to go with the Chatterbox or Blueant.

I wasn't very satisfied with my Scala Q2 primarily because it wouldn't connect to my mp3 player with bluetooth. I did use it to listen to the radio though. But my EXO 700 is so damn loud that most of the sound came out as lisps and whispers at freeway speed.  Undecided I don't think I'll be tempted to give the new Scala a try. I don't want wires going everywhere so I'm leaning toward the bluetooth units.

One of the premade helmet systems might work too, like the Dainese airstream bluetooth thing or a Nolan bluetooth helmet. Those are both supposed to be pretty good but I don't really want to have more than 1 helmet. Also, I don't know how those play with others. I've been wanting to get out and ride with a group of guys that use chatterboxes which is the main reason why I got one.

There could also be something that I haven't even looked at yet that works. One of the threads we had contained a link to something that was for an iphone but I glazed over it and didn't look at it since I don't have an iphone.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:49:49 PM by erkishhorde » Logged

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
sugarcrook

Facultative Carnivore

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »

I've just ordered two sets from Intaride, a UK company, for bike-to-bike communication.  I'll post back when I get some information worth posting.  I saw a few good reviews on advrider and the price was better than Autocomm.  Autocomm tends to nickle and dime while the Intaride kits seem to include everything. 

2013 BMW R1200R
2008 BMW K1200GT (Traded)
2007 Ducati Monster 695 (Sold)
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »

I couldn't find the post but there was some discussion previously about the music cutting in and out.

After some experimenting I've found that streaming music cutting in and out can happen due to the location of the music device relative to the chatterbox.

Example.  My phone streams music on A2DP so it connects to the chatterbox as one BT device.  Pretty slick, I know.  BUT, if I carry my phone in my shoulder rig (slung on the right side against my rib cage), the music will cut in and out randomly. 
If i carry my phone in the breast pocket of my jacket (any of my jackets), it almost never cuts out.
So if you're having the cutting out problem, try changing the location of your device, see if that alleviates it.

Another problem I've had frustratingly intermittently is when I go to skip songs with the button the chatterbox, the whole unit 'reboots' for lack of a better word.  I get the power-on chime and lose the connection to the music and phone.  I can reconnect to the phone pretty easily using the controls on the phone, but can't force the music to start again without accessing the phone.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: