Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:19:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install heated grips  (Read 43027 times)
mangeldbug

« on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

Originally posted on Squidbusters.com. 
Heated grips arent just nice for colder wintery days, they are great on early morning starts before the day heats up or those slightly colder days in Spring and Fall.  They feel pretty nice when it is raining or windy too

My Monster is now the second bike that I have installed the Dual Star Heated Grips on, and for they money they are AWESOME!  My husband had Hot Grips on his previous bike, and he now has Dual Star and likes them much better.

I had bought a mini handlebar mounted switch from HotGrips to use rather than the huge switch that comes with the Dual Star Kit.  (Dont get the handlebar mounted switch - plastic is crap.  Myself and two others bought this handlebar mount and it just shatters.  Pictures are below.  Just get the mini switch if you get anything from Hot Grips.)

Mini Switch (L) vs huge Dual Star switch (R)

Bad plastic

On the Ducati, deciding where to incorporate a switch was a problem.  There really isn’t much room anywhere on the Monsters.  I thought the handlebar mounted switch was perfect – small and out of the way on the handlebar, you don’t have to drill your bike, and it is already wired up ready to go.  From the picture, you know that didnt work out...

First things first: we took off the seat and bungeed the tank up to the ceiling to get to the battery and I took off the old grips.  Our trick is to stick a skinny screwdriver in the grip, squirt a little WD-40 in there and roll the screwdriver around the bar.  This gets the WD-40 everywhere and unsticks the grip from the bar.  It just slides right off, and they aren’t ruined so you can save them as backups or ebay them.

Ryan started on the wiring and decided to use the tail light as the switched power source for the relay that would power the grips.  We decided to have a relay so that the grips will only be on when the bike ignition switch is engaged.  That would stink if my switch got bumped on and it killed my battery while I was at work.  Another reason to do it this way was is so that the grips won’t be piggy-backed on another circuit in the wiring harness, such as the headlight as recommended by Dual Star.    Using a relay also meant not having to splice into the other circuit wire and would allow the bike to be put back to stock easily. 

Ryan used his birthday present, a Weller Cold Heat soldering iron to solder the power wire (red) to the tail light spade connector/wire.  This put the connection under the removable spade cover making the relay switch wire more stealthy.

While Ryan was prepping more wiring (soldering, extending/trimming wires, putting on heat shrink tubing), I decided to put on the Dual Star heated grips.  They are basically just big stickers.  You just have to remember to clean off all the WD-40 with alcohol before application.  Here is one installed on the clutch side (yum, CRGs).

After putting on both grips and determining how we were going to run the wires to hide them in the Ducati trellis frame and where we were going to ground the grips, we decided to install the switch we removed from its plastic housing - the shattered plastic handlebar mount was thrown in the trash.  Then we started investigating where we could hide the switch.  We tried looking in the clutch side plastic assembly and we found the switch would probably just fit.  Ryan said it was up to me on whether I wanted to drill my bike, especially since we wouldn’t know whether it would truly fit until we had it in there.  I was pissed about the crappy handlebar mount (we spent some time trying to repair it before this point) and I just wanted to be finished, so I gave the go ahead.  What do you know, it fit!!

The rest was just wire cleanup, installing the relay, and putting the clutch side control box back together.  And putting on my new Spider grips.  Aquanet hairspray makes wonderful grip glue.   :biggrin

Relay.

Installed switch.

I think it turned out really well, but if you dont want to drill your bike to install the switch, do what my husband ended up doing when he installed the Dual Stars on his bike.  We just got a little metal L bracket, cut it down, painted it a flat black, and attached it to the bike via one of the clutch instrument housing handlebar mounting bolts.  Looks very clean and no drilling.  I wish we had thought of that before we drilled my bike.

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »

How come i dont get a hazard light?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
mangeldbug

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »

That last picture is not a Ducati.  That is my husband's Kawi Z750S

2017 390 Duke Commuter
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

May I recommend that a little silicone sealant be applied to any place where water could penetrate (hole for switch on your bike).

another note about the switches provided by dual-star, they are NOT weatherproof at all...

that's it

great HOW TO.

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »

Awesome write up.

Another tip - placing a piece of heat shrink tubing around the bar on the clutch side before applying the element. This acts as a barrier between the heating element and the bar so both sides heat evenly (the bar doesn't soak up the heat this way). Kyle from BCM Motorsports uses this trick for all of his heated grip installs and my beau can attest to the fact that it truly does work.

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
mangeldbug

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »

lol, thanks for mentioning that qfactor.  I forgot to mention that in my write up.  We actually used silicone sealant AND heat shrink around the switch base and its been great.  I ride in the rain and have never had an issue. 

Never thought of using heat shrink on the bar.  Thats a good idea though.  The clutch side does heat up slower due to the heat sink, but once its all warmed up it doesnt bother me much
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:25:50 PM by mangeldbug » Logged

2017 390 Duke Commuter
hbliam
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

Yet another tip: use an air compressor to take the grips off (works to put them on too). Takes about 2 seconds and no mess from WD40 or scratches from screwdriver.
greenmonster

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 03:10:34 AM »

Pressing on a piece of this on left side

easily done w a heat gun, makes both sides of handlebar equally thick & warm. It isolates just like the throttle.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:07:40 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
greenohawk69

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

Thanks for the instructions and pictures on your install.  I went the Hot Grips route and installed those this weekend and they are nice.  Only thing I did different than you was use a wiretap on the taillight instead of soldering like you did.  Quicker and easy to change if I ever sell the bike. 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Jordan

"Don't dress for the ride...dress for the crash"

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »

Awesome write up.

Another tip - placing a piece of heat shrink tubing around the bar on the clutch side before applying the element. This acts as a barrier between the heating element and the bar so both sides heat evenly (the bar doesn't soak up the heat this way). Kyle from BCM Motorsports uses this trick for all of his heated grip installs and my beau can attest to the fact that it truly does work.

Where can one buy this heat tubing offline?  Will a hair dryer work to shrink it?

Also will any mini 3-way toggle from radio shack work? The one that comes with the kit is HUGE.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:29:42 PM by Jordan » Logged

99 900ss
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »

I'll take a pic-what we did on the wife's monster is remove the gauge cluster from the housing, run the wires up into it, and mounted the switch to the side of the cluster, then reassemble. I found the size switch we had was just too large to fit in one of the existing switches, so this seemed the best compromise. I then ran a bead of epoxy around the outside to keep the elements out.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

I'll take a pic-what we did on the wife's monster is remove the gauge cluster from the housing, run the wires up into it, and mounted the switch to the side of the cluster, then reassemble. I found the size switch we had was just too large to fit in one of the existing switches, so this seemed the best compromise. I then ran a bead of epoxy around the outside to keep the elements out.

Here you go:

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Jordan

"Don't dress for the ride...dress for the crash"

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »

Want to install these on my 900ss

Where does one get the shrink tubing in SF for the insulation? Hair dryer will work?

What type of Relay do I need?  Radio Shack? 

Can I use a mini 3-way switch?

What type of extra fuses do I need?

99 900ss
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »

Want to install these on my 900ss

Where does one get the shrink tubing in SF for the insulation? Hair dryer will work?

What type of Relay do I need?  Radio Shack? 

Can I use a mini 3-way switch?

What type of extra fuses do I need?

Any hardware store. Hair dryer should work-I just use my zippo, typically.

The kit should come complete, afaik-if you want help, wait until a wrench day-one of us in the bay area can help.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »

Yep, you can buy the shrink tubing and the black rocker switch with the heated grip kit from Dual Star.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: